PDA

View Full Version : Why do you practice or want to learn Bushcraft?

Bernie
30-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Martin (poshcrafter Martin - you know who he is :D) once asked me why I wanted to camp on Dartmoor. I've been contemplating that question for probably a year now. It made me start asking myself so many more questions: What do I want to get out of wild camping and bushcraft skills? Why have I always wanted to make fire with a bow drill when I have matches, and lighters are so cheap? Why is it that I find sitting in sub zero temperatures with a small fire to warm my drink touches my innermost feelings of contentment? Why do I have such a strong desire to understanding the natural world around me?

I have some answers, but I don't want to steer your answers, so I'll just put it to you:

Why do you do what you do in Bushcrafting?

MikeWilkinson
30-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Good question.

For me it is getting back to a 'real' existance, no silly job titles, no concept of profit and greed, just simple living, looking after the land and the land looking after you. The further removed from technology the better I say. Even if it is only for a short time, a weekend, an evening, even just half an hour away from it all.

My only wish is that I could be rich enough or poor enough to escape the rat race. Not just in monetary but also in links to family and friends.

CanadianMike
01-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Me, I'll be honest, my interest (even though not practiced very much) is many fold.

1/ I love the bare basics of the camping style, the fewer items I can haul out while remaining comfortable, the better;

2/ The creativity, ingenuity, resourcefulness of it all is highly attractive to me;

3/ Simply setting up a tent, fire, etc. then sitting around bored only to poke the fire, carve pointy sticks for no reason except something to do, etc. is lame. The fun and challenge of making something useful (I started this year with many wooden spoons), is much more attractive. Next year, making chairs, maybe even a simple shelter or hammock while out camping (ok, made a great hammock out of a tarp and rope this year too), will continue my growing interest in this activity;

4/ Finally, I've always had a "Expect the worst, prepare for it" survivalist attitude/mentality, so I always have a knife on me (bare minimum one, when I'm dressed up in a suit, which is maybe twice per year), most of the time minimum is three, including my Leatherman Wave, fire starting means x2 minimum, camping, outdoors stuff, always have many things that'd come in handy (I actually am one of the rare ones that while cooking, will take the thick rubber band off broccoli, aparagus, etc. and stick in my pocket instead of the trash)..... is my nature, and very rarely am I unprepared for dealing with something simple, that I know normal people won't have a clue how to solve the problem.

So, ya, this type of hobby is by far much more natural to me, and less like "The world is coming to an end, prepare for it!" than many others I have as friends. Bushcraft is very much a combination camping/survival set of skills, and I love the natural feel of it.

I think that says most of what's on my mind, thanks for asking. :)

Hathor
01-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Hi Bernie,

Like Mike Wilkinson above, I find the world looks much different (i.e. better) whilst in the countryside than it does from inside a work place. Natrure clarifies, simplifies and removes the petty.

On a wider society level, I suspect taht the more technology enters our lives, the more some people (me) wish to get aay from it even if only for a short while. Not suggesting I am a Luddite but I get a sense of relief when I am away from seemingly constant technological input.

MartiniDave
01-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I think Mike has pretty much nailed it.

I was brought up in the fens by parents who had been through the war and rationing and all that, who were used to making do with what you had. They didn't buy if thet could make/make do/barter whatever. I guess it rubbed off to some extent. Throw in using the Cambridshire fens as a playground as a youngster and here I am.

Dave

luresalive
01-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I really can't explain it, for me it's like breathing, it's just such a natural thing I don't think about it, I just do it..

Skate
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Bernie, For me it is just an extension of what I did as a child.
I would say that nearly all bushcrafters are simply playing but in a more mature way. No permission needed (unless SWMBO has a say) and getting away from everyday pressures.
You cannot beat the joy of being closer to nature rather than stuck at home in your box.
Long may it last.

Bambii
01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Luresalive and Skate, I completley agree.

Bushcrafting is playing, do you not remember when you were about 8 and you got your first penknife. I remember that day, the day i got it i cut my finger. I used to sharpen sticks with it, my dad was my hero he let me choose it. I dont remember anything from when i was younger except that day, i got it when we were visiting Wales. Me and my dad went into a forest next to our house, we spent the day there making shelters.

To me bushcrafting is getting away from modernisation.

Bush_Men
01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
For various reasons:

1.I think everybody should know how to improvise and at the same time know some skills that can help him or others in some time of his life. Being more self-reliant has nothing bad.

2.I was born in Azores and for those who visited those Islands you'll know why I love nature. If I join that love to photography then it is perfect.

3.The freedom feeling that you get by going out and enjoy a little time just for yourself and to escape the normal rhythm of life is something priceless.

I think that the most important thing when you do something is to like it and be happy. I'm at school from 8 to 17 every weekday and almost every teacher trys to force me to learn something. Bushcraft is all about going at your own rythm and free will. For know I'm happy with it no matter if it's trendy or not.

delboy
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
In one word..escapism, and of course the excitement of getting out and exploring pastures new. The practical skills are something which have happened over time out of necessity and probably curiosity.

fatsnacka
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
i like to get back to the primevel instinct within us all a life where i can be self surfishent without supermarkets if the worst comes to the worst i can look after my famerly with out them and the surviver in me tells me i need to learn these skills

and its bloody good fun too :)

paul standley
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
For me it's a combination of reasons....

Playing - definately, I'm getting do stuff now that I did as a youngster and then didn't for 30 years and now I can again...!

Self reliance - I'm enjoying pushing myself, physically and mentally with hiking and camping when I could just as easily stay tucked up in bed at home so it's not so much survivalism as independence and confidence.

Learning - I enjoy learning different bushcrafting skills, I'm a practical guy so making stuff in the bush is fun, satisfying and something I can pass onto my grand children. Part of this is about bushcraft on a budget and I get a buzz out of making kit and finding bargains and cheaper alternatives etc.

Playing... did I mention that already, I think that needs saying twice...!

troopermaz
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
for me it's a combination of reasons....

playing - definately, i'm getting do stuff now that i did as a youngster and then didn't for 30 years and now i can again...!

self reliance - i'm enjoying pushing myself, physically and mentally with hiking and camping when i could just as easily stay tucked up in bed at home so it's not so much survivalism as independence and confidence.

learning - i enjoy learning different bushcrafting skills, i'm a practical guy so making stuff in the bush is fun, satisfying and something i can pass onto my grand children. Part of this is about bushcraft on a budget and i get a buzz out of making kit and finding bargains and cheaper alternatives etc.

playing... Did i mention that already, i think that needs saying twice...!

im with paul on this and all of the above really

Bernie
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
It's nice to know I'm in middle ground here. I don't ever expect to have to survive if the country's infrastructure fails, but it's fun and gives me a sense of achievement that I can do things the hard way. I like working with wood and I like working in woods. Cutting wood and making useful things. There certainly is a sense of grown-up-play in the whole experience. But like so many, I think the escape from our office jobs and home chores is not to be under valued. So really, it's the same reason I started canoeing. Now I can load my canoe, paddle away from the car and find a place where I'm alone with my thoughts or I can busy my hands with a hook knife and a stick whilst I let my mind clear.

Ashley Cawley
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
... For me it is getting back to a 'real' existance, no silly job titles, no concept of profit and greed, just simple living, looking after the land and the land looking after you. The further removed from technology the better I say. Even if it is only for a short time, a weekend, an evening, even just half an hour away from it all.

My only wish is that I could be rich enough or poor enough to escape the rat race. Not just in monetary but also in links to family and friends.
Very well put Mike, sums it up for me also.

I enjoy the lack of responsibility for daft things, I mean you've still got the responsibility of looking after your own well-being & those with you, but not the mundane norm's of life. As Mike says it feels more real, I think that's because being in Nature reminds you how fundamentally connected we are with it - let's face it with today's generations it's more important than ever that they realise this.

I also like how you don't have to conform to society, gone are the stereotypes, people from all walks of life can come, enjoy and share common interests and make friendships. :o

Oh and yes... sometimes.. just sometimes I do find myself doing/trying something daft in the woods that makes me feel like a big inquisitive kid, but that's just a good thing I think! :p

sleeping bags
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
cmon its dartmoor thats like asking why i like cheryl cole, i could lie and say its her intelligent demeanor or i could be truthful and say just look at it :)

OKBushcraft
05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
I grew up hiking, foraging and fishing. It was simple fun that could lead to a meal but always was fun with my parents and older siblings. Fun times were not often but outdoors always was fun. We made due with what we had, money was not plentiful so our kit was humble.
I and my 4 siblings all like the great outdoors- I know that when and if times get tough, just as our ancestors have for eons before us, we can make do. It is a link to the past, the present and the future to me. I am now teaching my 3 young sons the awesomeness of being responsible with creation.
Hi tech can be fun but relying on what you have been given, be it your skills and tallents or the simple gear, that can be really fulfilling. Sharing it all with your loved ones is absolutely great!

Mouldsy
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I really can't explain it, for me it's like breathing, it's just such a natural thing I don't think about it, I just do it..

Have to agree Phil, It's like nature is calling you to her door, I get asked all the time in work why I like it so much and it is hard to explain, I try to tell them it's like a release valve when you are out and all your pressure's are forgot about for that time you are in the wild, but for me it is as if you were meant to there and things just come natural it's also good that you can have the company of like minded people but sometime the company of the fire is enough.

Swamprat
10-12-2010, 02:54 AM
I have to agree with Mike and Ashley, though most all the reasons stated can apply at times. There is just something about being out in nature that is so peaceful. You can just forget about all the stress of normal life. There is also the sense of accomplishment after you have built a brushhut, or carved something and knowing you did that yourself. Just you and your knife. No computers, no machines. All you.

antithetic
15-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I would tend to agree with Mike Wilkinson on the whole. There's nothing like escaping to the countryside when you're daily life has you cooped up in an office with modern technology. It makes me realise how much background noise modern living produces and how nice it is when it's not there.

That and the desire to learn to live with nature rather than on it.

ElementOwl
16-12-2010, 04:50 PM
The relentless background noise & demands of "civilised living" is something I need to get out of. By getting out and about I am able to clear my mind, observe, listen & learn at a natural pace. Nature and the elements are incredible teachers but it needs a certain mindset to understand them. I find when I return to the company of people my mood is better and I have a clarity to my thoughts and actions.

Groundhog
16-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I'd agree with most of the previous posters as I think it's a sort of all round thing. I enjoy reducing all my usual worries,duties and responsibilities to shelter,water and a decent camp site. I get a real feeling of peace and wellbeing and a sort of connectedness to the natural world especially after about 3 days out. I like the self sufficient satisfaction of making what I don't carry from a few sticks and a length of paracord even if it doesn't work very well it'll teach me what I need to do different on the next attempt. I just seem to relax and slow down and lose all the hurry up and stress of work and the city. I suppose bushcraft is the way I repair the damage the modern synthetic environment inflicts on us. It gives me a control over myself that I don't have in modern society