PDA

View Full Version : A Wild Thought

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi Guys

I'm planning on going to Africa in Jan (Gambia I think) :) I know the normal way is to fly and then go to a hotel :) But you all know me and I was thinking what if I was to try and get there a different way :) So has anyone any idea on what problems could be faced from weather to anything or would it be dead easy just jump in a car do a bit of driving catch the odd ferry and then be there.

Or would I need a bit more planning LOL So any feed back and tips would be welcome :)

comanighttrain
07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
you'd need a few visas... Also very real threat of being carjacked or something....

rossbird
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Ben

Gambia is a great country, especially during our winter.
Don't think I would want to go overland though, the Sahara would be crazy hot.
I know people who have stopped off in Senegal whilst on cruises. Just depends how long you want to spend travelling, I guess.
Anyway, sounds like a great trip. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
you'd need a few visas... Also very real threat of being carjacked or something....

I suppose I better check a map :( But I will probs have to fly so the visa there is sorted. I'm of to have a look into it though I did look in to getting a cargo ship there and that came in about a 1000 quid for a round trip.

rossbird
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh, don't forget to take plenty of pens, the kids love them.
I even paid for a river crossing in pens there once.

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh, don't forget to take plenty of pens, the kids love them.
I even paid for a river crossing in pens there once.

Ahha someone who has done it so what did you do I have my name down for the VSO at the min I'm just waiting to hear back from them :) but a mate of mine lives down there and said I should visit him, and I once read a book where one of our Generals travelled over land and stuff to saudia I think it was. So I have alweays fancied trying something like that :)

rossbird
07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm envious Ben, it's a great place especially for birdwatching.
Some great wild places. There's a camp up river called Tendaba. They have tshirts with the slogan....Tendaba camp, greatest place on earth. 10,000,000 mosquitoes can't be wrong!!!

You've been warned:D

Ben Casey
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh Im used to Mosis LOL They just bite and leave big itchy bumps well they do in the UK I know Africa is a bit worse so I would need Jabs and stuff :) And my mate is in Banjul so I should be ok for accom when I get there :)

Realearner
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Think a drive is possible with loads of planning, however if driving would go the Landrover route, or a Toyota.
Both kitted with lots of kit. And if possible do it with at least one other that you get on with.
Good luck whatever you do and just enjoy.

bigzee
07-11-2011, 09:33 PM
To add to earlier advice I would say take plenty of bargaining items. Before I was born my parents lived in Nigeria for a couple of years, and I think everything that happens in Africa only does so after something has "changed hands" regardless of whether the recipient is just doing his paid job or not. Maybe it's a reflection of the true values of their currencies?

happybonzo
08-11-2011, 12:12 AM
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/

Have a look at this before you get too excited about driving down.

Also, I would suggest a read of the Vehicle Dependant Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard (http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/expedition_guide.html). You do need to be a pretty capable spannerman; at least that's my experience.
Mauritania and most of Mali are going to hell in a handcart at present
Morocco, along the coast, is generally OK but there have been some demonstrations that have been a bit hairy for Europeans
Travel down through Algeria is not possible at present. The main problem used to be robbers but I haven't been down through there for a few years
Since the Iraq / Afghanistan business travel in some countries has become very difficult
I hope that Libya settles down as I've always fancied an overland to Marble Arch and The Wire

Ben Casey
08-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the links I will have a look like I say it is a wild thought but it will be cool if I can manage it :)

CanadianMike
08-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Think a drive is possible with loads of planning, however if driving would go the Landrover route, or a Toyota.

4Runner and a Panasonic Toughbook (or two) with a GPS receiver, a match made in heaven!!!! :D

Ok, I'm biased, is what I have............... ;)

Sounds like a fun adventure though.