PDA

View Full Version : Hudson bay/blanket pack/roll

delboy
01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
This is something I wouldn`t mind trying. I`ve watched the vid below a few times and there are a few more on YT along similar lines. Just wondering if anyone else uses them ?
I`m sort of edging towards minimal purely because when carrying a large pack it sometimes gets tiring/uncomfortable and I`m concentrating on putting one foot in front of another instead of taking in the surroundings. Last week I went for a walk and took just a small day pack with the bare essentials in, I hardly noticed it on my back. There`s also the possible advantage that I`d be relying on skills rather than extra kit:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFfnT5g0ls

Shewie
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I did a couple nights with just a WWII blanket and an IPK sheet few years ago, it was good to try it once but I prefer to have my toys and comforts :)

delboy
01-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I did a couple nights with just a WWII blanket and an IPK sheet few years ago, it was good to try it once but I prefer to have my toys and comforts :)
Yes the comfort thing did make me wonder if I`d manage. Years ago I used to go on quite a few motorbike rallies and I used a sleeping bag and bivi bag rolled up and bungeed to the forks, it wasn`t much bigger than the roll in the video but was very cosy to use even in inclement weather if a little restrictive. Found this vid of an easy way to pitch a tarp which would give me more room:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CMg5-fJHmg

Realbark
15-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I use a hudson type roll for my motorcycling overnighters. 8 x 10 tarp, goretex bivvi bag (british army) and a lightweight sleeping bag. I also have a swedish cook set with trangia stove with all the makings stored in it and a first aid kit. Six tent pegs and an adjustable hiking pole. Instead of tying the roll up with cordage i use four bungees. The whole pack weighs about 12lbs and is about 60cm x 12cm. I do have an old rifle sling which can be clipped to the bungees for carrying but ive never used it as i strap the lot to the bike.

RobbC
16-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I think i am going to try this llater this year, always looking for ways to lighten ma load, so this should be perfect.

Robb

snag68
02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
For speed and easy of setting up and packing away I've put my stuff together -

Fench Army goretex bivvi containing lightweight (-7 rated) sleeping bag and deflated 3/4 size Therma rest. I roll it up and bind it with two bungies. I've attached a strap to the bungies for easy carrying.

Saves stuffing stuff in sacks and packing in rucksack. Seems to work fine

Daz

Realbark
16-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I have added a highlander foil sleeping mat to avoid either using my self-inflating mat (which is bulky and dosent go in the roll) or going without (which is uncomfortable) - its for insulation only as its very thin - but it packs into next to nothing. I havent tried it in anger but have a meet next month when i will.

comanighttrain
16-03-2011, 09:09 PM
That's an awesome video. Guy has an epic accent too. Shame dont really have enough wilderness to wander around with a shotgun :(

Adam Savage
27-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I have added a highlander foil sleeping mat to avoid either using my self-inflating mat (which is bulky and dosent go in the roll) or going without (which is uncomfortable) - its for insulation only as its very thin - but it packs into next to nothing. I havent tried it in anger but have a meet next month when i will.

I have one of the highlander foil folders. Like you point out, it's very, very thin, but I found if you find a decent spot, like a natural depression in the ground (that stops you rolling about too much) or a good bed of moss or bracken under you, it's ok.

kINGPIN
07-05-2011, 08:13 AM
He has some great videos on budget bushcraft/survival, I spent a whole evening once watching all the stuff on his channel. A good guy and a good teacher.

FrenchBen
31-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Love the budget bushcraft videos too!

I have one question to you guys who use bedrolls : as Dave Canterbury states in the video, the tarp is rolled inside and not outside because it's more likely to be punctured or ripped than the blanket. But what if you don't use a blanket? I could wrap my stuff in my sleeping bag, but I fear it would be even more fragile than my tarp and I sure don't want holes in my sleeping bag...

I thought I could use a piece of rectangular leather that would cover the whole roll, but it finally makes no sense compared to my backpack. It would probably be almost as heavy as it and certainly not as comfortable...

Any ideas? ;)

Whistle
29-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Love the budget bushcraft videos too!

I have one question to you guys who use bedrolls : as Dave Canterbury states in the video, the tarp is rolled inside and not outside because it's more likely to be punctured or ripped than the blanket. But what if you don't use a blanket? I could wrap my stuff in my sleeping bag, but I fear it would be even more fragile than my tarp and I sure don't want holes in my sleeping bag...

I thought I could use a piece of rectangular leather that would cover the whole roll, but it finally makes no sense compared to my backpack. It would probably be almost as heavy as it and certainly not as comfortable...

Any ideas? ;)

Hi FrenchBen ... How about a small cheap polytarp 6X3 feet , it would be more abrasion/snag resisistant than your bivi or sleeping bag and could double as a ground sheet to keep the rest of your kit dry and clean , if its rolled tight it wouldn't even rustle much hey ?

Cheers Whistle

Adam Savage
29-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi FrenchBen ... How about a small cheap polytarp 6X3 feet , it would be more abrasion/snag resisistant than your bivi or sleeping bag and could double as a ground sheet to keep the rest of your kit dry and clean , if its rolled tight it wouldn't even rustle much hey ?

Cheers Whistle

Sounds like the best solution to me. Well done Whistle, as usual, the simplest ideas are normally the most effective.

Adam

Suba
20-08-2012, 06:38 PM
This guy is brilliant.
Great tutorial on the Hudson Bay Pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2v-b8cKLA&feature=plcp

FishyFolk
20-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Over the years I have developped a deep aversion against being wet and cold. Sleeping in a wool blanket is therefore out of the question, so is carrying a soggy pice of wool. Modern sleeping bags and bivvi bags where invented fro a reason...

And yes, tried wool blankets in the army as a recruit...the wettest, most miserable, cold existense I have ever experienced, and if I meet the bloody seargeant who ordered us to bring only wool blankets and leave the sleeping bags and tent tarps at the barrcacks again, there will be words....never,ever again...

Suba
20-08-2012, 08:37 PM
So you don't like them, then! :)

Over the years I have developped a deep aversion against being wet and cold. Sleeping in a wool blanket is therefore out of the question, so is carrying a soggy pice of wool. Modern sleeping bags and bivvi bags where invented fro a reason...

And yes, tried wool blankets in the army as a recruit...the wettest, most miserable, cold existense I have ever experienced, and if I meet the bloody seargeant who ordered us to bring only wool blankets and leave the sleeping bags and tent tarps at the barrcacks again, there will be words....never,ever again...

FishyFolk
20-08-2012, 08:53 PM
So you don't like them, then! :)

Ha ha, sorry for the negativity....I love wool, and wool blankets too....I just prefer the latter when at home, on the sofa vegetating in front of the TV with the wind and snow howling around the house corners....not out in the wet and muck.