PDA

View Full Version : Woodcocks

rossbird
09-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I was doing some work at a friends house yesterday. At about 16-45, on the edge of darkness, a Woodcock flew between the buildings silhouetted against the sky.
Flushed another a week ago fron a local woods. We do have wintering birds arriving from the continent. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing them more frequently during the last few weeks?

Martin
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Never seen one. They have long bills don't they? The smallest wild fowl if I remember correctly??

Martin

rossbird
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
They're classed as wading birds Martin. Similar to snipe, but around twice the size and usually in damp woodland. their habit is often described as crespuscular, so not the easiest birds to catch sight of.

Bushwhacker
15-11-2011, 09:05 AM
A few pheasant shoots around me have said that there's a fair few woodcock about. I've chucked a couple up myself when wandering.

Tony1948
16-11-2011, 12:36 AM
They say you'r a pritty good shot when you can get a right&left when walking them up,only ever had one at a time my self.

rossbird
16-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I never put two up together whilst I used a shotgun Tony.
Nowadays, I prefer to take aim through a pair of bino's.
No problem with shooting though, thinking of getting a Air rifle at some point.

luresalive
16-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I've seen a couple lately, put one up from a hazel wood not long ago, but no more than normal.

J_P
16-11-2011, 06:04 PM
They are very good eating all you do is pluck them head n all cut a slot at the drawing point and nip out their gizzard, then close the slit using their long bill as a skewer, put in the oven covered with a wipe of butter and some nice proper bacon strips, and cook on a moderate heat for 25 30 mins, then you take off the bacon and scrape out all the entrails liver kidneys heart etc, replace in the oven to crisp the skin, check it so it don't dry out. While its crisping up you get a small frying pan a nob of butter and splash of oil and chop the bacon fine add this and the entrails to the pan and mash it to a paste then add a good glut of red wine and reduce and thicken to a pate, take the bird and plate it and let it rest while you do some nice fresh bread toast and butter it, some fresh asparagus and/or seasonal veg the bird and the pate on toast it's one of life's real country treats and to be relished and appreciated.... Nom nom!!

rossbird
16-11-2011, 08:24 PM
They are very good eating all you do is pluck them head n all cut a slot at the drawing point and nip out their gizzard, then close the slit using their long bill as a skewer, put in the oven covered with a wipe of butter and some nice proper bacon strips, and cook on a moderate heat for 25 30 mins, then you take off the bacon and scrape out all the entrails liver kidneys heart etc, replace in the oven to crisp the skin, check it so it don't dry out. While its crisping up you get a small frying pan a nob of butter and splash of oil and chop the bacon fine add this and the entrails to the pan and mash it to a paste then add a good glut of red wine and reduce and thicken to a pate, take the bird and plate it and let it rest while you do some nice fresh bread toast and butter it, some fresh asparagus and/or seasonal veg the bird and the pate on toast it's one of life's real country treats and to be relished and appreciated.... Nom nom!!

Around 7pm be ok J-P ?:D
I'll bring the wine.

Bushwhacker
18-11-2011, 07:36 AM
There was some more out yesterday whilst mooching the nearby estate.

Ashley Cawley
21-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Just made me very hungry! Thanks for the recipe ;)

Metal mug
21-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Just made me very hungry! Thanks for the recipe ;)A new approach to wildlife filming..................

Bill Oddie: Cor look at that badger!

[Cut to studio, Bill is tucking into a plate of badger and chips]

Bill Oddie: Mmmmm lovely.

:D

bear1873
28-11-2011, 02:36 PM
we get a few of them up here and i must admit the are dam tasty.