PDA

View Full Version : Nikwax Analogy - whats your experiences?

jus_young
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Now that a sale is due in my local area, I am taking a serious look at the Paramo range. As this is going to be one of my 'serious long term investments' I don't want to make a right mess of it. Having a look at the Paramo stuff I have found a lightweight version of the Velez Adventure Smock that uses the Nikwax Analogy fabric. I have never come across this fabric before so just wondered if anyone here has worn it and could give me their opinions please.

Martin
11-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Love it love it love it!!! Got the Velez smock a few weeks ago. It's very comfortable to wear all day, both on and off the hill. From what I can tell so far, it's very waterproof and very breathable compared to the traditional hard shell waterproofs although, as I've said in another thread, I still sweat a lot when working hard and that doesn't change anything.

I have worn this on three trips to Dartmoor, once the eight item challenge which was a three day trip, once on a day trip when the wind and rain really did their worst and once when it was a beautiful but chilly day. I will be wearing it on a two day trip I've got planned in two weeks time and I'm now confident that it will handle everything the weather can throw at it.

Personally, I'd stay away from the lightweight version of this coat. I saw one on the weekend and it just didn't seem as nice as mine. It was clearly lighter but the cut seemed somehow less generous.

All in all, I would say that the Paramo Velez Smock is a good, waterproof coat that can be worn in place of a hoodie when you just want something comfortable to wear but is also a good performing waterproof when needed.

Hope this helps

Martin

jus_young
11-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I get the impression you might like it Martin :D
I only had the opportunity to look at the lightweight version yesterday but have been informed that the entire range will be available at the weekend so will probably be spending a good while looking at them all. Ideally I would like something for walking and another for my less delicate antics in the woods that would take a bashing. Realistically this is not going to happen as I haven't won the lottery yet so it will have to be an all rounder.

Thanks Martin, and keep the opinions coming folks!

chrisj
11-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Love my paramo. I have the Alta jacket, Velez smock (wish I had got the Velez adventure with the fixed hood rather than the plain Velez with the detachable one), Cascada trousers and Aspira trousers. I find it much more comfy to wear than more traditional waterproofs. It is a bit warm but is much more breathable than goretex and the like. Also I find you can counter this warmth by wearing it differently. Treat the trousers not as waterproof over trousers but as trousers that also happen to keep you dry and wear them as your only legwear. The smock is also comfy enough to be able to wear with nothing under it. By taking a different approach to your clothing you can really reduce the warmth issue.

One thing I would say though is that it isn't waterproof, it keeps you dry. I know that sounds like a contradiction. What I mean is it will keep you dry but because it can't support a column of water of the right height they aren't aloud to call it waterproof. In more practical terms what it means is that it will keep the rain out but, you can force water through it under pressure, so if you sit on wet soggy ground in the trousers the wet will come through (the Aspira trousers have a closed cell foam pad in the seat to reduce this). That said it pulls water out so well that within 5 mins of getting walking you are dry again. By the same token I have found that in absolutely torrential rain the trousers sometimes can't quite cope with the amount of water draining off the jacket and you can start to feel a bit damp on the front of the thighs (that said I often end up feeling a touch damp in traditional waterproofs in the same conditions due to condensation) but within minutes of the rain easing slightly it catches up and the damp feeling goes.

Also because the lining is designed to mechanically wick water from the inside to the outside, it doesn't need temperature or humidity gradients to work, so it keeps you drier in hot muggy conditions when the temp and humidity are really similar inside and outside the garment. In fact if you are camping you can wrap your wet hat and gloves inside the jacket over night and it will actually dry them.

Much as it does feel as though it would get damaged easily I have found this not to be the case. My Alta jacket has been my main work jacket (I'm a gardener and part time outdoor instructor so it sees lots of rose thorns, brambles and rock) for several years and is still intact. If it does get damaged though you can just sew it and as long as you don't stitch both layers together it still works just as well as before.

Having said all that though I have found that Paramo is a bit like Marmite. You either really love it or absolutely hate it. So if you know anyone with any paramo that you can have a trial of it may be worth it.

jus_young
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Silverback
11-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Was out in the Brecon Beacons last thurs/fri/sat stayed coll when warm, warm when cool, and dry when wet cant ask for much more...........oh and I get mine for free, being a Yorkshireman thats a BIG plus

Martin
12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Not that this is any recommendation but did anyone notice that Ray Mears was wearing a Paramo top on the telly last night?

Martin

jus_young
12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info gents, I have done the deed! Spent the last couple of hours looking through the range and trying the kit on. Eventually went for the Velez Smock. Feels very comfortable on, much like wearing a general top really, noticed an increase in temperature just from standing there with it on so should be good out and about and a nice light bit of kit. Did the comparison between the standard and lightweight version and, as you said Martin, the material does not look like it would put up with much grief in the woods. The rep was first class and very open with his views stating himself that he would not recommend the light version for these activities and as I wanted a bit of all round versatility the smock would tend to suit best.

Also looked at the Alto, nice but can't have everything all at once. Trousers next on the list as they looked very good as well.

Silverback
12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Not that this is any recommendation but did anyone notice that Ray Mears was wearing a Paramo top on the telly last night?

Martin

is that a tailor made one for ray? It looks like a standard Cascada but it has cartridge style pockets.

Silverback
12-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Also looked at the Alto, nice but can't have everything all at once. Trousers next on the list as they looked very good as well.

I have the Alta in jacket and smock versions.....between the 2 I prefer the smock

Martin
12-11-2011, 07:55 PM
is that a tailor made one for ray? It looks like a standard Cascada but it has cartridge style pockets.

Not sure, it looked like an 'extra porky' size though. Specially made for the porkmeister of bushcraft. ;)

Martin

Silverback
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Not sure, it looked like an 'extra porky' size though. Specially made for the porkmeister of bushcraft. ;)

Martin

Mmm I'm about the same build as Ray, doesnt affect my hill going performance though

rossbird
13-11-2011, 10:59 PM

It may have been the Halcon Jacket, it was for sale on Ray's site until recently.

jus_young
14-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Had a look at the Halcon. Seemed a bit bushcraft specific and not what I would use as a daily wear. Still looked a damn good coat though.

jus_young
22-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Tested the Paramo Smock today in the most extreme conditions so far - changing the car wheel in a Tesco car park!

The rain is unbelievable at the moment and the area has been pretty much cut off by surrounding floods. The Smock worked brilliantly in keeping the top half of me dry but the bottom half was a different matter. I think its going to be a good few days before the drivers seat dries out!

Can't recommend this smock enough, the Analogy really works.

Olly
26-12-2012, 02:24 PM
My experiences with Paramo....

I have had a Velez Light smock for 3 yrs now, when it works it is by far the best water proof I have ever had (I used to use Lowe Alpine triple point stuff which was OK) but after a couple of years of use, I was out and about for a few hours in the rain ant it seemed to just give up an leaked like a sieve! I look after it reasonably well, regularly wash and proof as per instructions. I rang Paramo who were very helpful, after trying out their suggestions (mainly involving rewashing it) it still leaked. They said I could send it back for them to have a look at.

They cleaned and reproofed it for me and it worked perfectly again for about a year. This was until August when I spent a spectacularly bad weather day walking over Crinkle Crags in the Lake District. I was soaked to the skin within about half an hour of setting off. I have since rewashed it but have not had a chance to test it since. Hopefully it will be OK.

Apparently you can over proof them which stops them from working so watch out for that.

I also have a pair of Cascada trousers which have always been excellent.