PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced Swiss Army Knife?

Iota
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi, I've been thinking about getting a Swiss Army Knife, but the amount of choice is confusing, so I thought I'd ask you what your opinions are, and which reasonably priced SAK you would recommend.

Martin
12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I've got a couple but to be honest I never use them these days. I'd say you're better off sticking with the Opinel and Svord Peasant knife you already have. Can't see that that SAK will add much. Incidentally, if you need to change a plug, I'd get a screwdriver. ;)

Martin

CanadianMike
12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I have a few of them, well worth buying, due to the tool value, or if you have a need for a small blade for detail work. Consider having one as being part of a system, they have a part in your kit kit from time to time. I just bought another since my other ones didn't have a cockscrew and years ago I found it to be a handy hook to help loosen up knots as an example.

jus_young
12-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I have the leatherman wave which gives me a few options tool wise when out and about. Have to be honest and say that it does not really get used that much and when it does its usually to do a patch up job on something for a Scouts exercise when we are in the woods. The pliers and bottle/can opener are the most used bits so far.

JEEP
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I carry a Victorinox Huntsman on a daily basis - and the larger Outrider when out and about. I also carry a Leatherman Knifeless Fuse in my pack.

For belt/pocket carry I find most multitools to be both too heavy and cumbersome - aswell as being pricy to replace, if lost. A SAK is lighter, smaller and cheaper.

Another dimension, at least here in Denmark, is that a SAK is viewed as being much more socially acceptable by the general public and the police - a multitool or a classic pocket knife will turn a lot more heads if used in public, here in Denmark. I have never received a negative comment due to my SAK, but I got quite a few about the tiny (5 cm) Laguiole I used to carry.

bigzee
12-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Not sure which model this is, but it's a Victorinox with a 3.5 " (90mm) locking blade and few basic tools on it. Its been in my pocket every time I leave the house for the last 8 years (note the emblem worn off), and although I would like an outdoor sheath knife, this has actually sufficed very well until now. There is a good saw blade and has cut plenty of sticks with both knife and saw. Yes you are better with a set of dedicated tools, but I once went to do a paid job, forgetting I had left my tool kit in the garage. I ended up replacing a mortice lock with this, using the reamer for screw holes and the blade for adjusting the mortice. There is a phillips and 2x flathead screwdriver heads on this, and I could even sharpen my pencil with it!

I won't bore you with the story of why the wedding ring is attached and not on my finger, but this has the unusual advantage of allowing the blade to be swung from a finger whilst in the hand as an effective machete substitute. This works well at clearing brambles on a path. Never mind American Express, I don't leave home without this!

CanadianMike
12-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a Leatherman Wave as well, it's always on my belt. I often have a half dozen blades on me overall, useful tools they are, and are never questioned here. Even if a cop asked me about any of them, they are tools, pure and simple, and get used repeatedly. Heck, clearest example of lax knife laws here, beginning of October my buds and I rented a couple boats to head to an island for a weekend camping. Myself and Jean had a pair of my Scout knives hanging around our necks and totally forgot about them being there when we went into the resort office to pay for the boats, nothing was even noticed or mentioned even though they were in plain view............. Been a few times I've gone into stores around here on my way to fishing with a larger knife than a SAK out in the open too, no problems.

BTW, the recend SAK I bought is the Sport model as was called, and overall, they are worth the price and of very little weight, so no reason to not own one (or more).

treefrog
12-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Many years ago I received a SAK as a gift. To be quite honest I found it fairly useless. I also found that the stainless steel blade wasn't very good
quality; wouldn't hold an edge well and just too small to be useful. Like CanadianMike said, no issues here about walking into the grocery store with a
hunting knife on your belt. I wear mine often and am never conscious about needing to remove it; nobody seems to care. Maybe I'm just not very
neat and tidy with my knife, but I find folders in general gather dirt and are hard to keep clean.

CanadianMike
13-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Dude, we are making ourselves sound like a country full of rednecks............

For the record, we have way too many "soccer moms" that will call the police if someone is seen wearing camo clothing, we aren't as bad or red neck as it sounds like. ;)

treefrog
13-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Dude, we are making ourselves sound like a country full of rednecks............

Out where I live we ARE a country full of rednecks.:ashamed:

Metal mug
13-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Dude, we are making ourselves sound like a country full of rednecks.

Out where I live we ARE a country full of rednecks.:ashamed:Rednecks are the best though. :D

Peaks
13-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I've carried a variety of SAKs for years and found them to be a useful piece of kit. They are not in the same league as a quality multi tool nor replace a fixed blade.

However they are good as part of a system and are more socially acceptable - and quite a number meet UK laws re non locking /length of blade requirements etc.

I've found them to be robust, easy to sharpen., hold their edge well and reliable - if used sensibly and not put to tasks which they were not designed to do. Personally I've found no difference in quality or reliability between the Wenger or Victorinox models (think its the same company anyway?). Some of the tools on some of the models I feel to be gimmicky, but the 3 layer models have a a good selection of practical tools.
The larger models with locking blades - like the Ranger or Soldier are also good and the locking mechanism gives more safety - but they are larger and may be viewed differently by UK police.

I carry and use the Farmer (the alox one) most frequently - its blade is thicker than some other SAKs, the saw is excellent, and I like the handles. The reamer is brilliant too. It all comes down to personal choice in the end. Plenty of reviews of various models on You tube.

This is a site with some useful info
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 (but run by enthusiasts)

You can get SAKs at discount if you shop around try :
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777&r=AWIN
or
http://www.swissknifeandtool.co.uk/

Hope this is of some help

Dan XF
13-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Hey guys don't sweat it. Beats living in the burbs here with everyone in a 4x4 but no idea of where to find nature. Soon the only greenery near here will be the golf courses. Ask my neighbours what a red neck is and they'll tell you it's what the nanny got during the first week on the family holiday in Tuscany.

JEEP
13-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Wenger was taken over by Victorinox in 2005. Before that, at least in my expereince, Wenger knives were of a slightly higher quality than Victorinox.

Nowadays I find the only difference to lie in the design of some of the tools (like the can opener) - and the fact that the Wenger brand is used to market some very interesting/experimental designs/features, while Victorinix knives are somewhat more conservative in their design/features.

CanadianMike
13-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey guys don't sweat it. Beats living in the burbs here with everyone in a 4x4 but no idea of where to find nature. Soon the only greenery near here will be the golf courses. Ask my neighbours what a red neck is and they'll tell you it's what the nanny got during the first week on the family holiday in Tuscany.

That's where I live......... but I have a real 4x4, not a prettied up SUV. And I'm not afraid to get it muddy! :D

Metal mug
13-11-2011, 01:33 PM
That's where I live......... but I have a real 4x4, not a prettied up SUV. And I'm not afraid to get it muddy! :DIn london you can get special mud in a can that 4x4 owners use to make their vehicle look more off-roadish. I wonder if I could export it to Canada. :)

On the subject of pocket knives I've an old SAK, a hunter or huntsman I think it's called. It's a trusty little tool, but a lot of companies have been "watering down" the quality of their knives recently to increase production. I've no idea if this has happened to the SAK but it's something to bear in mind.

CanadianMike
13-11-2011, 04:44 PM
QDF?!?!?!?!?! You are serious? LMFAO, that's like that wipe on tan cream, totally fake and funny looking due to the streaks!!!

Metal mug
13-11-2011, 05:12 PM
QDF?!?!?!?!?! You are serious? LMFAO, that's like that wipe on tan cream, totally fake and funny looking due to the streaks!!!Rule Britannia! :D We like pointless inventions.

JEEP
13-11-2011, 05:22 PM
In london you can get special mud in a can that 4x4 owners use to make their vehicle look more off-roadish. I wonder if I could export it to Canada. :)

It doesn't suprise me. I once found a commercial, on You Tube I believe, for spray-on stubble - "for that rugged look that washes off in the morning". I really hope it was a hoax, but I am not sure.

CanadianMike
13-11-2011, 06:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/199172_10150125985319207_510619206_6264687_7974300 _n.jpg

JEEP
13-11-2011, 07:08 PM
My sentiments exactly...

Peaks
13-11-2011, 09:03 PM
All very fascinating (and scary) - but a little adrift from the OP guys............ :)

CanadianMike
13-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Fair enough............ I can only facepalm so many times. ;)

This is the one I bought a few days ago, was half price so I bought two (one sits in my 4Runner still packaged, Xmas is coming and all, unsure if or whom to give it to), the one I bought prior to that is the same but without the reamer and corkscrew.

http://www.swissarmy.com/ca/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Everyday/Tourist/53131

Two years ago I bought the new Swiss Army Soldier Knife, the one with the large blade, OD and black handle, is a beauty for outdoors, and for many years I had the original soldier knife in my pocket, the reamer was by far the best tool on it, could make holes in metal from scratch (once spent a bored hour putting a 3mm hole in a quarter using it), great for openeing up and deburring drilled holes in metal too (the can opener is great at this for larger holes)

Peaks
14-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Don't want you bruised Canadian Mike!

Iota -given that you are a young person, you'll need to keep the attitude of the UK police in mind and no doubt you are aware of the law on purchasing knives.
As an alternative to an SAK it might be worth considering a UK made knife? There are loads of good reasonably priced Sheffield made knives available. They don't have all the tools of an SAK, but have good blades and come in a variety of shapes + sizes. British Army clasp knives are robust, the non locking version meets UK knife law and they are easy to sharpen + keep sharp.

If you want a little bit of craftmanship and history have a look at the the Sheffield made Trevor Ablett knives. He is one of the last masters left and he is not a young man.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/cutlery/catalog/index.php?cPath=45

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/audioslideshow/2010/jan/26/sheffield-pocket-knife-trevor-ablett

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/482-British-Army-Knife/ (avoid the ones with the marlin spike - police do not like them!)
http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_review/rogers_pocket_knife_model_s90s/

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Arthur-Wright-Knives/Folder/c-1-92-817-963/

http://www.madeinsheffield.com/view_item.asp?productid=77

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/joseph_rodgers_stainless_handle_pocket_knives/

suggy
14-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Just in case you were considering getting a cheap copy of a SAK from your local Poundland or similar. Dont bother, the blade on the one i had years ago folded back on itself the wrong way, which could have been a nasty accident.

Oh, and the corkscrew snapped when camping. which is fine if you dont mind a little bit of cork in your drink.

My genuine Victorinox one hasnt given me any problems, i dont know the model though. (mid-range) translucent handle.

Victorinox sharpening stones are available for a few quid to keep a good edge, though i've never got it as good as the edge it came with.

They are good knives, design classics.

I tend to take mine when i'm out hiking, with my spare firesteel attached.