PDA

View Full Version : Coleman tent £65 980grams

comanighttrain
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Just spotted this while faffing about on the amazon.

Sure its nothing fancy... could more than do the job though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PDHQO0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_g200_i7?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1 OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Z57T4HKQZDEXXYD3CPV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

jus_young
12-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Certainly light enough, half the weight of the banshee. It looks as though its only single skin which might pose the condensation problems that some of these types of tent have. As an occasional shelter though its one I might have considered.

comanighttrain
12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
as long as the sheets arent touching you then its not so bad...two people though and itll start to drip i reckon

Martin
12-11-2011, 08:11 PM
The Amazon reviews aren't very promising. May be a one season tent that you could leave the door open to prevent condensation. To be honest, my Terra Nova Laser suffers from condensation and that's a double skin tent with very good ventilation so a single skin tent as small as this is going to get mighty damp.

Martin

Dan XF
13-11-2011, 09:17 AM
It seems like a luxury bivi bag, and cheaper than most of them. The only bad thing I can see is the lack of porch. In bad weather I like to cook under cover to stop that whole "never ending soup" scenario. To overcome this problem I would end up carrying a tarp to allow overhead cover but that would push the weight up. I have a Vau De Hogan which weighs twice as much but is large enough for 2 and you can sit up in it and get changed. It also has a porch for cooking or kit storage. It also pitches fly first with the inner attached to the fly so you can keep everything dry if you are forced to pitch it in the rain. See if you can find a Hogan on ebay. At Cotswold myself and a colleague could pitch one in 55 seconds and it's free standing so you can get in it in a real hurry if you don't want to guy it out. However £65 for less than a kilo of tent is a bargain despite not having a porch or head room.

cuppa joe
13-11-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Coleman-Rigel-X2/100

Shiver
24-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Cheers for the link, was looking for a lightweight ground dwelling option to use instead of my hammock setup.

happybonzo
24-06-2012, 05:15 PM
It's a single skin tent. Don't bother as you'll end up soaked by condensation
The same comment applies to the single skin Goretex tents. Unless the atmospherics are ideal for the Goretex to work properly, and they never are :( , then you still end up getting soaked but having shelled out a lot more wedge.

Shiver
24-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Bonzo ... What do you recommend for a lightweight bivvi or tent. I'm willing to spend a little to get the right thing. But must be fairly lightweight

FishyFolk
24-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I used a single skin tent during my overnight fishing expedetions...no problem with condensation, but it had fairly good ventilation, and I kept everything open as it was quite warm then.

jus_young
24-06-2012, 08:31 PM
This is the one I would consider if I were to look at a ground option again

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product578.asp?PageID=1

You have the option of using the outer only, inner only or both and if you look at the writeup and vid the weight can be kept down by using walking poles instead of carrying a tent pole.

comanighttrain
24-06-2012, 09:36 PM
one night, one man, condensation isn't so bad in single skin...especially if you can keep the door open... more than that though and you'll be looking for a news paper to dry it out with

Shiver
24-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the link ... Looks pretty sound for a lightweight option.

Shiver
24-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks again for all your ideas guys! Much appreciated.

happybonzo
25-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the advice Bonzo ... What do you recommend for a lightweight bivvi or tent. I'm willing to spend a little to get the right thing. But must be fairly lightweight

If Robert Saunders are still in business then I'd go with them. Bob Saunders really started the lightweight tent revolution. The trouble is he recently passed on and I'm not sure if the company trading.
Whatever tent I bought, it would have to be double skinned. A few years ago, I was given a tent to test and I had 3 days of misery with it. One of the seams leaked and that was bad enough but the condensation that streamed down the inside was remarkable