PDA

View Full Version : Boots

Martin
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What is your preferred footwear for a day out or a camp? I have found that, unless I'm walking very far, the good old wellie boot is a wonderful piece of kit. Waterproof, as warm as your socks and easy to clean if you feel that way.

After wearing various styles of leather boot over the years, I am finding it hard to see a better solution than my wellies.

Martin

JonnyP
02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I love my sandals best.. Not this time of year though..

luresalive
02-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Muck boots, love em...

delboy
03-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I used to use a pair of german para boots but my grandaughter swiped them for army cadets. I now use my work boots, they`re quite comfy but the tongues aren`t sewn in completely so anything more than a puddle and my feet get wet.
I did notice that Lidl have winter boots on offer for £14.99 from Monday, so I may pop down and have a ganders at a pair.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_15907.htm

Shewie
03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I wear Muck Tay boots for paddling trips when the weather starts to cool, for any land based yomps I go with my Lundhag Ranger Highs.

CanadianMike
03-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Danner Pronghorns for me, great boots, comfy as running shoes, Goretex lined.

Bernie
03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
My wellies are great for getting to places like NBC hosts in winter - walking through that trough of mud between the fields is... interesting. But if I need to walk any distance, I find wellies are anything but comfortable. I recently bought new hiking boots and I must say I could walk in them all day long. Previous (cheap) hiking boots have always been a pain to walk even in.

Ashley Cawley
03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I've currently got a hole in my boot :( So I'll be looking to get some new footwear perhaps for Christmas! Im currently relying on a pair of borrowed Gortex socks which seem to be doing the job. :)

... I recently bought new hiking boots and I must say I could walk in them all day long. Previous (cheap) hiking boots have always been a pain to walk even in.
What did you end up getting Bernie?

Bernie
03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
What did you end up getting Bernie?

The manufacturer is Trespass (I don't like the name - sounds like something I don't want to do). I found the Belas boots the most comfortable (I did try other manufacturers). They're still new, so who knows how long they'll last and how they'll stand up over time. I know that they're still very comfortable (can sometimes be different when worn for a whole day compared to a few seconds in the shop). And my toes were warm as toast last weekend when I went for a walk and my poor daughter said her feet were frozen.

Manufacturers link: http://www.trespass.co.uk/product/footwear-5/mens-footwear-13/mens-boots-55/belas-MAFOTEE20002

paul standley
03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
This year I camped a couple of times in really wet weather and even wetter woodland and I did use my wellies then around camp and in the woods and brooks and actually I thought they were great and mainly cus they were easy to get on and off when getting in/out of the tent (no laces etc to worry about and don't need any drying out).

however, for walking, i find wellies hard work after a mile so wouldn't do any real walking in them and I recently bought some budget priced own label 'waterproof' textile walking boots from "Go Outdoors" for just under £30 and I've done several good walks with them including through snow last weekend and there are great, dry and warm.

MikeWilkinson
03-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I have had many a pair of boots in my time, From Expensive Brasha's and Meindl to Cheap'o' hi-tec, Leather, suede, fabric. Best by far for comfort have been the Meindl and Lowes.

However for full. functionallity and comfort then I just love Issue boots the best. I'm fortunate that they actually fit me quite well. Have walked the Pennine way in them, Did the Nijmegan marches in them and various Patrols, best of all walked/jogged 100km in 18 hours across the southdowns. Not one blister!!! Kept my feet dry and no twisted ankles. A bargain if you can get hold of a good second hand or even first pair cheap. The Lowes are just as good but more expensive :(

sabot
03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
For warm weather I use Magnum jungle boots. For cold weather I use Highlander Vector Mountain boots. I used to use pro-boots for cold and wet weather but quality of the later version is somewhat lacking. Trying to find a waterproof boot that is made for summer use but thus far unsuccessful. I'll probably just get some waterproof socks for the jungle boots. I also use OTB Odhin boots when canoeing, though the jungle boots also work well.

The odd thing is, I've either needed or wanted to replace all my boot laces with utility cord or para cord. They just don't seem to make laces like they used to.

troopermaz
05-12-2010, 12:16 AM
good old fashioned army issue boots all the way for me have walked/marched many many miles in em and no worries at all summer or winter and they last forever if looked after and if properly polished can be waterproof they also offer unrivalled support for the ankles

Ashley Cawley
05-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info Bernie & others. I think I'm gona give some issue boots a go next :)

Hathor
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Scarpa walking boots 'cos they ahve extra wide fitting!!

ElementOwl
09-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I find wellies are like a sort of "outdoor slipper" in that they are easy to get on and off and quite comfortable. However I do find they are not right for longer distances or trying to go anywhere quietly. On warm nights I will often use a pair of beat up old hi-tec trainers, when the weather is worse any good quality leather boot will do for me.

Notredame11211
10-12-2010, 01:11 AM
You should try the Norwegian Army M77 marching boots. They are a little hard to find outside of Norway, But they are great boots that have never failed me.
http://www.alfasko.no/uniform/milit-r/578-730-040-u-marsjst-vel
http://www.norskdesign.no/industrial-design/m77-marching-boot-article3002-424.html

garethw
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I recently got a pair of Le Chameau goretex lined hiking boots from an outdoor shop... reduced as it was the last pair in size 46. They are excellent, warm, waterproof, comfortable and robust. I usually wear with a pair of zip up gaiters over the top...
cheers
Gareth

Fletching
01-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I love wellies too but for walking, I use Brasher Super-Lite's as they're really comfy and weight next to nowt when they're on. Mine are a mkI but the mkII info's here:

http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/supalite-ii-gtx-r-supaiimn

Steve

RobbC
16-01-2011, 06:32 PM
My absolute favouate boots have to be Magnums, i have a pair of part leather stealth, and they are amazing, there warm in cold weather and not to hot in warm weather(not that we get to much up here!), also they give great ankle support.

Robb

swkieran
16-01-2011, 09:13 PM
i like my battered old trainors which are really comfy,dont no if anybody else finds that,also i like my steel toe cap boots which are safe, but are not very good for walking miles in

cobra
16-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I have been using a type of army boot that i buy from a shop called ben Arrons in Halifax for years. I usually get about a year out of a pair but that is wearing them on a daily basis and i'm not light on my feet ha ha .They are totally water proof and very comfortable and only about £35 a pair. By the way i use sno seal to water proof them its outstanding stuff.

Roadkillphil
25-01-2011, 10:13 PM
For winter use I got myself a pair of North Face Chilcats, they are the knackers! I need a pair of boots for the summer, Salomon have been my previous favourite manufacturer. However, When I was in the forces, the issue Proboots were awesome. I spent an hour waist deep in a river in the Balkens, treating and extracting casualties from a landrover that ended up in it . Although my clothes were totally soaked, my feet were only a little damp as the water tracked through my socks... Nifty bits of kit and very comfy.

wytchwood bushcraft
27-01-2011, 05:58 PM
been thru boot after boot over the years and the best i have found is all of the fishtec range and just bought a pair of boots awaiting thier arrival but they are demon of italy and will let you all know how good they are when i get to test them

happybonzo
31-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Work (chainsaw) - Haix Protector, Work (non Chainsaw) fun and Trekking - Meidl Borneo, Wet work ie canoeing - over sized Tevas with neoprene socks

Adam Savage
28-03-2011, 06:50 PM
managed to test my aspen II s when I was on the moors and walking Ivan's wood with him. Although I would have liked to put them through a little tougher test, but the weather was too good for serious boot bashing. They stood up well to the soggy areas and river crossing through a few inches, probably helped a little by the gaiters, and where super comfy and light weight. The only drawback is the fact they are only a mid. The tussocks made it clear that one bad step could have put my ankle out of action enough to make it very tough going. Was impressed with the amount of traction, even over moss covered rocks and slippery planks. All in all I'd rate them 8/10 for needing a higher ankle and a fully gusseted tongue, right to the top of the boot