PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall RV 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Ben Casey
16-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Guys

Anyone planned yet for next years meet I'm planning on going? I really enjoyed it this year so it should be nice next year :)

Ben

jus_young
17-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Yep. Probably do the family outing again. Smaller tent this time round rather than the pavillion we brought last time as it was a struggle to find a gap between the trees big enough to fit the damn thing in :D

Will depend on whether family want to stay at our place for free holiday accomodation in return for feeding the animals though. Kids had a great time at this years RV and we have used the tripod they made with the blacksmith a few times now including at the Gathering so I would like them to make a couple of other fireside gadgets that will also become treasured items.

Martin
17-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Details of the RV are here:

http://footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/cornwall.php

Martin

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Details of the RV are here:

http://footstepsofdiscovery.co.uk/cornwall.php

Martin

Cheers Martin I forgot to put that on I tried to send them an email last night but there link does not work so I will give them a ring later and let them know :)
It will be cool to meet everyone again it feels like nearly a year LOL

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 08:37 AM
How many pages will this thread get to? :)

dave budd
17-11-2011, 09:22 AM
assuming they'll have me back, then I shall be there with my forge and whatnot. :D

first outing of the year that one

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 11:10 AM
assuming they'll have me back, then I shall be there with my forge and whatnot. :D

Hi Dave you on the list with them for the blacksmithing :) It will be good to see you there :)
@Metal Probably a 100 then my best Mate will delete it LOL

Roadkillphil
17-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Good man!! Haha, your forge was a great place to sit and chill in between doing all the other stuff.

I'm almost definitely going again, will have to see about family arrangements nearer the time, but hopefully we should all be there. Em and the kids had a great time this year.

I'd like to beat some metal next time and mebbe get a go on Jonnys pole lathe if he's goin?

Gonna have to start limbering up ready to take the axe throwin title off'f Ash too!!! Some tense moments in this years final!!

:D

Metal mug
17-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd like to beat some metal Is that a threat? ;) :D

JonnyP
17-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I'd like to beat some metal next time and mebbe get a go on Jonnys pole lathe if he's goin?

Try and stop me Phil.. My fav meet, Janies too.. Looking forward to it already..

Ben Casey
17-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm hoping to do a lot more now being as I know a few of you :)

jus_young
17-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Good man!! Haha, your forge was a great place to sit and chill in between doing all the other stuff.

Got to agree. It wouldn't be the same without you Dave. Your forge is almost like a second home now, wherever I go you are there working away, a retreat for the bushcraft weary (and a good place for a brew or two :D )

Martin
18-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Spoke to Spanner Manley today and he confirmed that the RV is definitely on for next year. Easter weekend as usual.

I will be meeting up with him in January to discuss helping out with the organisation so watch this space for further updates as and when I have any news.

Martin

Ben Casey
18-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi Martin Cheers for the info could you ask if it would be ok for me to turn up a day or so early just because of the long drive mate and did they say if the contact link had been sorted? :D

Martin
18-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi Martin Cheers for the info could you ask if it would be ok for me to turn up a day or so early just because of the long drive mate and did they say if the contact link had been sorted? :D

I'll ask for you Ben. The website and email should be sorted. Check it out.

Martin

Ben Casey
18-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I'll ask for you Ben. The website and email should be sorted. Check it out.

Martin

Thanks Will do :D

LandRoverMatt
21-12-2011, 06:21 PM
is it any good ?

Martin
21-12-2011, 08:46 PM
is it any good ?

Have a look at the thread from last year and decide for yourself. :)

Martin

LandRoverMatt
21-12-2011, 08:55 PM
thanks Martin for the challenge :D, love to go to more like stuff like this to meet people and learn stuff and give out plenty of business cards :D

Roadkillphil
22-12-2011, 03:33 PM
and give out plenty of business cards :D

To go in their tinder tins right??? ;)

LandRoverMatt
22-12-2011, 03:39 PM
yep :D Thats what probably happens to them. poor business cards.

Ben Casey
28-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Whey hey I have my confirmation for next year :)

Martin
28-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Whey hey I have my confirmation for next year :)

Fantastic Ben, can't wait till it starts and really looking forward to hooking up with old friends again. :)

Martin

Roadkillphil
28-12-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm going to get all booked and saving now we have confirmed we'm all going. I think I'm going to take more of a back seat with workshops this year and let Corey and Erin do more themselves..... I'm gonna need to save all my energy for taking the axe throwing title :D

Ben Casey
28-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm going to get all booked and saving now we have confirmed we'm all going. I think I'm going to take more of a back seat with workshops this year and let Corey and Erin do more themselves..... I'm gonna need to save all my energy for taking the axe throwing title :D

I will have to watch yous next year I missed it this year :( :D

Metal mug
29-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I will have to watch yous next year I missed it this year :( :DI missed it. I was too busy eating. :D

Ashley Cawley
29-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Just a word of warning if Phil is going - everyone watch your chairs ;) he's like a magpie with'em.

I don't like to boast about it or anything but yes...

I am the South West Axe Throwing Champion of 2011! :happy-clapping: and I've got the T-Shirt to prove it ;) Thanks to harry-hawk for that one.

Unfortunately Harry had elbow trouble that day, Matt & Phil joined me in the final of the axe throwing comp, was good fun... well was until they got all serious and lost the plot! :p I'll probably loose next years title now :p

The Cornwall RV is a great gathering, good opportunity to meet people and have fun learning new skills.

Ben Casey
29-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Ash or Martin just a quick thought from when I get down is there anywhere I could get a few Hazel rods as I want to try something out if I can? It would be nice if you know someone :)

Roadkillphil
29-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Just a word of warning if Phil is going - everyone watch your chairs ;) he's like a magpie with'em.

I don't like to boast about it or anything but yes...

I am the South West Axe Throwing Champion of 2011! :happy-clapping: and I've got the T-Shirt to prove it ;) Thanks to harry-hawk for that one.

Unfortunately Harry had elbow trouble that day, Matt & Phil joined me in the final of the axe throwing comp, was good fun... well was until they got all serious and lost the plot! :p I'll probably loose next years title now :p

The Cornwall RV is a great gathering, good opportunity to meet people and have fun learning new skills.

I cant deny the chair thing, I thought the Wrasslin legend Gerry Cawley was gonna take me down for ACCIDENTALLY nicking his chair!!

As for the axes, I was distracted by a bottle of rattler!! And seeing as Harry made the T Shirt for 2011, then its only fair, Ash, if you make My T Shirt for 2012!!

LandRoverMatt
29-12-2011, 08:54 PM
the t shirt says it all :D haha well done ash, and phil we will move any rattlers out of your sight.

Martin
29-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Ash or Martin just a quick thought from when I get down is there anywhere I could get a few Hazel rods as I want to try something out if I can? It would be nice if you know someone :)

Yes Ben, most hedgerows have loads in them.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
30-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes Ben, most hedgerows have loads in them.And I'm sure Footsteps won't mind you taking a few at all, they've got a large wood with plenty of resources.

Ben Casey
30-12-2011, 09:11 AM
And I'm sure Footsteps won't mind you taking a few at all, they've got a large wood with plenty of resources.

I was thinking about 90 to a 100 I was looking at having a go at making a Yurt till I saw the plans for one :( But it will be nice if I can get one or two cheers lads I can hardly wait till next year :)

char4chocs
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I should be attending :) I'm also going for another group booking down there earlier in the year :)

Edwin
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I think they were running short, we had to hunt last year.

Ben Casey
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I think they were running short, we had to hunt last year.

Thanks for that I won't be doing the idea I had as I think I would need to many and that would not be fair on everyone :)
Mind you I couldn't sleep last night so at three in the morning I wa surfing the internet and decided to buy two Hazel trees dont ask me why I get some mad ideas in the early hours :D Anyway I'm going to plant one in the front garden and one in the local hadgerow close to me :D I might buy some Willow cuttings tonight for another idea LOL

Roadkillphil
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM
:D I might buy some Willow cuttings tonight for another idea LOL
Oooooooo. A Coracle????? :D

Ben Casey
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Oooooooo. A Coracle????? :D

I wonder how long it will take me to grow it :D

char4chocs
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Willow grows like made would take long maybe as little as 10 months?

Ben Casey
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh well I just ordered 10 rods LOL I havent got anymore space in the garden now :D

Martin
23-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I can't believe it but the Cornwall RV is only ten weeks away this Friday!!

Have you got your place booked?? I have a feeling that this is going to be the best one yet!!

Martin

tadpole
23-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I can't believe it but the Cornwall RV is only ten weeks away this Friday!!

Have you got your place booked?? I have a feeling that this is going to be the best one yet!!

Martin

Is it worth Booking? I plan on going, but as I don't know if it will come off, I was going to leave it till end of Feb before I even thought about tickets. Worried now in case the tickets are all gone?

Martin
23-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Definitely worth booking. The site is restricted for numbers due to insurance and, of course, it also helps the organisers with gauging the requirment for toilets, food and drink etc. I would say, book early and avoid disappointment. Don't forget, the event is well known and is discussed on all the bushcraft forums which draws people from all over the country not just the south west.

Martin

Ben Casey
23-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I booked before Christmas :D And I'm hoping to head down a few days before I'm going to try and get to visit Adam if I can and hopefully this time get to Ivans if thats ok with them :)

dave budd
23-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I had a phone call from footsteps last week asking me if I would like to attend this year. Just as well I said yes :D

Martin
23-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I had a phone call from footsteps last week asking me if I would like to attend this year. Just as well I said yes :D

T^

Ashley Cawley
24-01-2012, 06:56 PM
I've now created the Cornwall RV page in our Events section on our website, so if you want to let others know about the event forward them to:

NaturalBushcraft.co.uk/Events (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/events) or tell them to Google Cornwall RV :)

Looking forward to it :happy-clapping:

Ben Casey
24-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I will put it on my FB I wont bring much but you never know :)

Juanodaxis
03-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I won't book just jet cos I have to confirm with work, we loosing a shift within the next 3 to 4 weeks and I could very well be one of the unlucky ones that stays in work. Any way, because of that if I actually manage to kip my job, the shift patterns will change so will the hours. Hopefully I'll be able to do it, because I'm really looking forward to meet you guys.

Ben Casey
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm sure we will still get you in even at the last min where there is a will there is a way :)

jus_young
03-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Could always hide you in a rucsack :D

Damn, forgot Martin is helping to organise the event and he will see our dasterdly plans!

Ben Casey
03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
We could get him in like they did the escapes in WW2 just dig the tunnel in the other direction and then we can disguise him as a tree and Martin would never know :D

Juanodaxis
04-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Belive me, he would know, you don't see many trees hanging about by the fire with a can of fosters.

IBrown
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Last year had to cancel due to hospital appointment. Will be there this year, hopefully with family

Ken
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Well I've emailed Mark and booked places for me and the Mrs. I'm even going to do a couple of courses this year and won't sleep the weekend away. It's that Cornwall air you know! No comments please Ben ;)

Ben Casey
07-02-2012, 07:16 AM
No comments please Ben ;)

T^

tadpole
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
I've sent of my email to book the RV. My doctor is setting up the necessary jabs and the intramuscular shots needed to travel to such dangerous foreign parts. If I survive them, and manage to adapt to the Cornish air, hopefully I will see you'll there.

JonnyP
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I've sent of my email to book the RV. My doctor is setting up the necessary jabs and the intramuscular shots needed to travel to such dangerous foreign parts. If I survive them, and manage to adapt to the Cornish air, hopefully I will see you'll there.

You just need to hope the border guards let you in now then..

tadpole
07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
You just need to hope the border guards let you in now then..

I’ve been assured that I’ll be let in, but getting out will require supplication and bribes of pasties. (Can I import the pasties from Devon?)

JonnyP
07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I’ve been assured that I’ll be let in, but getting out will require supplication and bribes of pasties. (Can I import the pasties from Devon?)

I really shouldn't say this, but imo the best pasty ever comes from a Butchers shop in Ashburton. Rodney Cleaves.. A good name for a Butcher.. Their sausage rolls are outstanding too..

Roadkillphil
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I really shouldn't say this, but imo the best pasty ever comes from a Butchers shop in Ashburton. Rodney Cleaves.. A good name for a Butcher.. Their sausage rolls are outstanding too..

Uh Ohhh!!! Youm in trouble now!!! I'm surprised you've not had more bites to this statement! ;)

JonnyP
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Uh Ohhh!!! Youm in trouble now!!! I'm surprised you've not had more bites to this statement! ;)

I am, of course, up for being proved wrong..

Roadkillphil
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I am, of course, up for being proved wrong..

Back when I was a Carnivore my favourite pasty by a long shot was from Hampsons butchers in Hayle. Berrymans in Redruth used to do a goodun too and Choaks in Falmouth are Proper jobs. The worst pastys I ever did eat were from Bodmin... every pasty I've had from Bodmin tasted rough with nasty pastry n not enough seasoning. Aint nothing taste good from Bodmin, not even fish n chips. I lived there fir 6 months.... never again. Twas a dumpin ground for chavs and it always rains, even on a sunny day!

Anyways, vegatable pastys for me now. Although I turned veggie and I never crave burgers, bacon and other animal products, you will sometimes find me drooling over a large steak pasty. I miss m I do :)

Ben Casey
07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
The thought takes me back to NAAFI Growlers :D

Martin
08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
I was going to post something about MOD pastys but then I realised that this was a thread about the Cornwall RV 2012!!

FFS DON'T KEEP GOING :off-topic:

Martin ;)

Roadkillphil
08-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

LandRoverMatt
08-02-2012, 07:08 AM
planning to go the saturday to sunday, do you need to book tickets online to go or can you just arrive and pay ? would of stayed longer but dad only wonts to do one night :D and try and book some courses to do.

Ben Casey
08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm going to try and be a week early if it all works out :D

Ken
08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Well that's me and the Mrs confirmed for the whole weekend and I can't wait!

Ken
08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm going to try and be a week early if it all works out :D

Really? I'd live there if I could earn my keep doing bits and pieces on site!

Ben Casey
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Really? I'd live there if I could earn my keep doing bits and pieces on site!

Why dont you ask if you can to mate they said I can help setup if Im there early so it should be cool :) Just ask them :D

Kernowek Scouser
12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
As I only live down the road in Penwith and have nothing already planned for this weekend, it would be rude not to pop down and say hello.

The RV could also provide me with an opportunity to see how expert or inept I actually am, bushcraft wise.

It is looking like a win win event for me :D

Martin
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
As I only live down the road in Penwith and have nothing already planned for this weekend, it would be rude not to pop down and say hello.

The RV could also provide me with an opportunity to see how expert or inept I actually am, bushcraft wise.

It is looking like a win win event for me :D

T^

Martin

Ben Casey
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Cool :)

Fletching
17-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I'm postponing my next op so I can down and meet some of you nice chaps. :)

Steve

Martin
17-02-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm postponing my next op so I can down and meet some of you nice chaps. :)

Steve

That's great news Steve. Will be good to meet up and for you to grab some of the cornish air and to get the city out of your lungs.

Martin

Fletching
17-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Indeed!

Tell me there's be a pasty shop nearby... :)

Martin
17-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Indeed!

Tell me there's be a pasty shop nearby... :)

There's a pasty shop nearby Steve. (Not really!!)

Martin

Fletching
17-02-2012, 02:58 PM
There's a pasty shop nearby Steve. (Not really!!)

Martin

WTF? I thought you guys grew 'em on trees down there.

I'll have to bring me some o' dem Jamaican patties from Brixton then, innit? ;)

Martin
17-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Don't be daft, of course there's a pasty shop nearby. I think you can get them from the shop in Grampound Road which is only a two minute drive (20 minute walk) away. Mrs Martin may well do a chip shop run for us at some point if there are any takers? I have photographs of Ashley tucking in just in case anyone thinks that fish and chips aren't 'bushy' enough. ;)

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
17-02-2012, 03:10 PM
There is a little butchers in Hayle that does a cracking pasty, must be nearly a foot long, stuffed to bursting, meat ALL the way through and they are only two and a bit quid. Bargain.

I treat myself to one whenever I'm passing by, which is erm... often :ashamed:

Fletching
17-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I thought I read something along the lines of 'do not feed the animals' in the Footsteps of Discovery terms and cond..[enough - Ed]

Don't be daft, of course there's a pasty shop nearby. I think you can get them from the shop in Grampound Road which is only a two minute drive (20 minute walk) away. Mrs Martin may well do a chip shop run for us at some point if there are any takers? I have photographs of Ashley tucking in just in case anyone thinks that fish and chips aren't 'bushy' enough. ;)

Martin

Fletching
17-02-2012, 05:25 PM
There is a little butchers in Hayle that does a cracking pasty, must be nearly a foot long, stuffed to bursting, meat ALL the way through and they are only...

Ok, ok, I'll leave the jerked b*ll*ck brick in Brixton then... ;)

Roadkillphil
18-02-2012, 07:33 AM
There is a little butchers in Hayle that does a cracking pasty, must be nearly a foot long, stuffed to bursting, meat ALL the way through and they are only two and a bit quid. Bargain.

I treat myself to one whenever I'm passing by, which is erm... often :ashamed:

Hampsons of Hayle! In behind the carpark there. Finest pasties in the world! Fact!! :D

And so I don't get shouted at for going off topic, what is everyone looking forward to this year? I'd like to try a bit of forging and I'm looking forward to the axe throwing ;)

Cheers

Phil

Edwin
18-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Philps

Ben Casey
18-02-2012, 08:23 AM
I hoping to get a bit more info about Bowyer and probs I will just sit and watch Dave B doing his stuff all day again :D

Ben Casey
18-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Just a quick thought is anyone taking stuff to swap and things this year Im hoping to take a couple of things?

Roadkillphil
18-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Just a quick thought is anyone taking stuff to swap and things this year Im hoping to take a couple of things?

Hmmm never thought of that, I've got a few things I could trade. I'll bring them along :D

Kernowek Scouser
19-02-2012, 11:16 PM
I might have a few shiny things I could bring along :D

:off-topic: Philps do a good pasty and there is a little butchers atop Market Jew St in Penzance that does a good pasty, but Hampson's pasties are the best by a Cornish country mile, in my book :off-topic:

Marvell
28-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm definitely going, and giving talk too.

Kieran
06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I will be there!

Fletching
06-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm postponing my next op so I can down and meet some of you nice chaps...

Earlier date for op's come up so I'm going under the knife tomorrow. Wish me luck chaps and I hope I'm fit enough for the drive down for the RV.

Steve :)

JonnyP
06-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Earlier date for op's come up so I'm going under the knife tomorrow. Wish me luck chaps and I hope I'm fit enough for the drive down for the RV.

All the best mate..

Martin
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I thought all that was behind you. Sorry to hear you're going under the knife again Steve. Hope you can make it to the RV it really is a nice gathering.

Martin

jus_young
06-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Take care Steve

Roadkillphil
06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Recover well Steve, looking forward to meeting you at the RV.

Looking forward to meeting my new knife at the RV too...... ;)

jus_young
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
...Looking forward to meeting my new knife at the RV too...... ;)

Which new knife would that be as you have been putting a few different ones on the wish list :D

harryhawk
06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
See you there chaps:camping:
Ben & myself will be coming down for the Friday & Saturday nights.
Looking forward to catching up with you all again, God do I need a bit of de-stressing:guns:
Sit back, relax, chat and have a few beersT^

tadpole
07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Sadly, my central heating stopping working, and my cooker literally falling to bits (the door fell off whilst cooking tea, and this time it is beyond repair, I've been keeping it going for over a year with high temp glue and bailing wire), The RV is a no go this year.:sad:

Roadkillphil
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Which new knife would that be as you have been putting a few different ones on the wish list :D

Ahaaa!! I'll start a new thread when I've got all the pics :D It's verrrry noice tho :D

Quick, get back on topic!!!!

Have you got any workshops planned this year Jus?

Roadkillphil
07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
See you there chaps:camping:
Ben & myself will be coming down for the Friday & Saturday nights.
Looking forward to catching up with you all again, God do I need a bit of de-stressing:guns:
Sit back, relax, chat and have a few beersT^

Be good to see you again Harry :) I believe it's Ash's turn to have the T Shirt made this year :D are you chucking this year?

jus_young
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Ahaaa!! I'll start a new thread when I've got all the pics :D It's verrrry noice tho :D

Quick, get back on topic!!!!

Have you got any workshops planned this year Jus?

Not sure quite yet. I think some metalwork is in order as another tripod and cross bar is on the wish list and might try some wizard carving. Then of course theres Daves forge :D

Roadkillphil
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Then of course theres Daves forge :D

Yep :D

Martin
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
As well as Dave's forge water. Yuk!!

Martin

jus_young
07-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Live and learn

Roadkillphil
08-03-2012, 05:20 PM
As well as Dave's forge water. Yuk!!

Martin

Not sure why nobody liked it???? Bleddy ansum stuff.... Apart from the hangover....

Kernowek Scouser
08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Is this forge water some kind of scrumpy, the kind that inhibits speech and makes the back of your eyeballs burn?

Hmm, I'll have to remember to pack some alka seltzer, to be on the safe side ... and an air freshener!

jus_young
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Scrumpy is apple juice compared to this stuff :D

Elements of the human body burning and loss of basic functions is going in the right direction however

Kernowek Scouser
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Ah, the kind of grog that can also be used as a rust remover.

I might limit myself to a thimble, just to be on the safe side :D

Ivan
09-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Be very careful ! I don't want to give the game away , but think strong alcohol infused with something very hot indeed that may occur in con carne ! Its like a cross between earwax and sheep dip ! It has been known to take your shorts down and smack your legs ! It will also lift lino ! A little tip just watch someones face when they take a sip .

You have been warned !!

Good luck.

Ivan...

harryhawk
11-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Aye, it will be good to catch up with you guys again.
I bet you boys have got the 'hawks out and been practicing:o
I'll try me arm again but tennis elbow is still giving me gyp.

Fletching
11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I thought all that was behind you. Sorry to hear you're going under the knife again Steve. Hope you can make it to the RV it really is a nice gathering.

Martin

Op seems to have sorted the back problems such as muscle collapse, trapped nerves etc, etc, with the addition of the titanium bionic bits...so just need to get the stitches and scar to heal up now (and wean myself off the morphine and pregablin). Still aiming to get down there, chaps!

Ben Casey
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Op seems to have sorted the back problems such as muscle collapse, trapped nerves etc, etc, with the addition of the titanium bionic bits...so just need to get the stitches and scar to heal up now (and wean myself off the morphine and pregablin). Still aiming to get down there, chaps!

Hi Mate it is good to see the op went well :D

Martin
12-03-2012, 02:08 PM

T^

Fletching
18-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Any chance we gonna see any of our overseas friends comin' to the RV?

Jakob, Mike, Gareth, Treefrog...(sorry if I've missed anyone!)

Martin
19-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Any chance we gonna see any of our overseas friends comin' to the RV?

Jakob, Mike, Gareth, Treefrog...(sorry if I've missed anyone!)

I think Jus_Young is coming, he's from Devon. ;)

Martin

jus_young
19-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I think Jus_Young is coming, he's from Devon. ;)

Martin

:p

I create my own part of Devon when I arrive

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2012, 11:24 AM
:p

I create my own part of Devon when I arrive

You want to be careful doing that fella.

A supposedly 'Proper Cornish' friend of mine recently let slip that one of her grand parents was actually from Salcombe and now the Seneth an Stenegow Kernow is accusing her of fraud and trying to get her deported to her country of ancestral origin.

Probably best to play it safe, apply for an Emmet Visa and keep your head down

jus_young
19-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I have nothing to fear, I will have the misses with me. Anyone wants to take her on is more than welcome :D

I am looking forward to the RV this year, sounds like a good few folks from the forum will be there. Just hoping the house sitters are still up for staying though as our cat has to have medication daily, no house sitters = no RV so fingers crossed!

The flag gets posted whenever we stay away as it acts as a marker for the kids to find their way about. Always gets a few comments from some locals that object to it though, do folks really take it that seriously?

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I have nothing to fear, I will have the misses with me. Anyone wants to take her on is more than welcome :D

I am looking forward to the RV this year, sounds like a good few folks from the forum will be there. Just hoping the house sitters are still up for staying though as our cat has to have medication daily, no house sitters = no RV so fingers crossed!

The flag gets posted whenever we stay away as it acts as a marker for the kids to find their way about. Always gets a few comments from some locals that object to it though, do folks really take it that seriously?

No, not really and anything that is said, is mostly good natured banter.

... but there are a few folks who struggle to accept the tourists, let alone resident emmets (or is it grockles, I've been called both) like me. Thankfully such folks are very much the minority.

JonnyP
19-03-2012, 06:28 PM
No, not really and anything that is said, is mostly good natured banter.

... but there are a few folks who struggle to accept the tourists, let alone resident emmets (or is it grockles, I've been called both) like me. Thankfully such folks are very much the minority.
Emmet is Cornish for ant. Grockles are the Devon tourists..

I shall have my pole lathe set up again at the RV, for anyone who would like to have a go.

Fletching
19-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I shall have my pole lathe set up again at the RV, for anyone who would like to have a go.

Erm, I'd like a go on your pole - to try my hand at making a hobo line?

jus_young
23-03-2012, 10:30 AM
What a night! Just got back home for a break and freshen up after spending the night in hospital with the boy, breathing problems and abdominal pains - he never does anything by halves! Looks like he has pneumonia and they are checking him for appendicitis now as well. Depending on his health we may or may not get to the RV its just a case of checking his progress. I won't say that we will not be there just yet as he will feel awful if we don't go as he loves these meets.

We will just have to see...

Kernowek Scouser
23-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I hope the little man gets well soon fella.

Metal mug
23-03-2012, 12:32 PM
What a night! Just got back home for a break and freshen up after spending the night in hospital with the boy, breathing problems and abdominal pains - he never does anything by halves! Looks like he has pneumonia and they are checking him for appendicitis now as well. Depending on his health we may or may not get to the RV its just a case of checking his progress. I won't say that we will not be there just yet as he will feel awful if we don't go as he loves these meets.

We will just have to see...

I hope the little man gets well soon fella. Get well soon x2 :)

JonnyP
23-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Wishing a speedy recovery for him Justin

Ben Casey
23-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I hope everything goes ok there Jus :)

Ben Casey
24-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Checking my kit :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6864464216_98d2837927.jpg

Fletching
24-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Checking my kit :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6864464216_98d2837927.jpg

I'm sure there'll be dustbins on site Ben.

:)

Tony1948
24-03-2012, 03:01 PM
And a out side dunny:happy-clapping:

Ben Casey
24-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm sure there'll be dustbins on site Ben.

Leave no trace mate LOL

jus_young
26-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I hope the little man gets well soon fella.

Get well soon x2 :)

Wishing a speedy recovery for him Justin

I hope everything goes ok there Jus :)

Cheers folks, he is out of hospital now. Those wards are hotter than a four season bag in a bivvy in the middle of summer so glad to be out. The put up beds are damned uncomfortable as well! Thanks for the thoughts, lets see how he gets on now.

Roadkillphil
27-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Cheers folks, he is out of hospital now. Those wards are hotter than a four season bag in a bivvy in the middle of summer so glad to be out. The put up beds are damned uncomfortable as well! Thanks for the thoughts, lets see how he gets on now.

Heller! only just read the last few posts on this thread. Hope he gets well soon bud, especially with the RV coming up, but obviously the little mans health is the most important thing. Ain't nice when the littluns are ill, you feel helpless as a parent, just wanna make them better :(

JonnyP
27-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Glad he's out Justin :0)

Spanner at Footsteps has asked if anyone has any old mobile phones they don't use or want, please could you bring them to the RV, as they could do with some for their demo boxes..

jus_young
27-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Heller! only just read the last few posts on this thread. Hope he gets well soon bud, especially with the RV coming up, but obviously the little mans health is the most important thing. Ain't nice when the littluns are ill, you feel helpless as a parent, just wanna make them better :(

Cheers Phil. He has turned into a bored monster so its looking like he is back to school and we are good to go :happy-clapping:

Glad he's out Justin :0)

Spanner at Footsteps has asked if anyone has any old mobile phones they don't use or want, please could you bring them to the RV, as they could do with some for their demo boxes..

Cheers Jonny. I will have a look around, I am sure there are one or two kicking around here somewhere.

Roadkillphil
29-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Wellll I'm packed already ;)
I would like to do a workshop, but I'm undecided as to what to do...
My only expectations this year is to ensure my kids have a good time, meet my new knife, aquire a steel (flint/steel type), have a bash at the axe chucking, oh, and get some whittling done too.
Other than that, anything else is a bonus :)

Fletching
29-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Let's just hope the great 'Petrol Panic kerfaffle of '012' doesn't come to pass.

Ben Casey
29-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Whats the petrol prices like around the UK Im of out to check and see what it is like localy? :(

jus_young
29-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Well I am packing today, then unpacking to pack again! Scout camp first so I will be glad to get to the RV to recover. I am the same with the workshops, just not sure what to do except a bit of forge work to make another tripod.

Ken
31-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I'll have to get a good Suffolk flag :)

Ben Casey
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I'll have to get a good Suffolk flag :)

Thats easy mate it is just the same as the French one :D

Ben Casey
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi All I havent been feeling to good lately hence I have been a bit quiet :( But I'm planning on setting of on Wednesday to hit Cornwall so see you all there if I don't get back online before :D But I might just put a message on here to say I'm setting of before I go out the door :D

Ben

Martin
02-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey, have a safe journey Ben and hope you feel better soon. Really looking forward to catching up with you and the rest of the guys again, it's actually been 12 months since I last went to a meet!!

Martin

Ben Casey
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey, have a safe journey Ben and hope you feel better soon. Really looking forward to catching up with you and the rest of the guys again, it's actually been 12 months since I last went to a meet!!
Martin

I will mate it will be a slow drive down :D and I think it is nearly 12 months since we meet but not since I was out LOL

Ashley Cawley
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Steve & Justin sorry to hear you've had to spend time in hospital recently, hope all is well on the mend with you Steve and your boy Justin.
Be good to see you again Harry :) I believe it's Ash's turn to have the T Shirt made this year :D ...Sugar! Forgot about this, do I need to source/buy one?
... I bet you boys have got the 'hawks out and been practicing:o I'll try me arm again but tennis elbow is still giving me gyp.Unfortunately not.. I've not thrown an axe in ages and we've not hooked up down Matt's (where the targets are) for a good while!
I shall have my pole lathe set up again at the RV, for anyone who would like to have a go.I greatly enjoyed trying the pole lathe with Jonny, can highly recommend it. I made a priest which is probably a nice one to start with...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-0KJrw5Buqpw/TbSTWtn1LCI/AAAAAAAADmI/4i6v7LX3CCM/s720/IMG_6230.JPG

Also enjoyed getting to grips with my new draw-knife last year thanks to Ben for gifting me that one :o

Looking forward to meeting friends old and new at the RV soon!
T^

Fletching
03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
But I'm planning on setting of on Wednesday to hit Cornwall...Ben

...and I'll be making the slow journey too, probably setting off sometime Thursday to avoid the traffic (hopefully).

See you soon. :)

Kernowek Scouser
03-04-2012, 06:17 PM
If you are lucky, you might avoid the bad weather too!

Martin
03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
The forecast is pretty good at the moment.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/truro?tab=fiveDay

Martin

Ashley Cawley
03-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Excellent :happy-clapping:

Ben Casey
03-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi Guys I may set of Thursday if it is like this in the morning :(

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/6896627018_a58b9c88fc.jpg

Hi Ash do I recognise that shiney thing there lol

Kernowek Scouser
03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Hopefully the forecast will make good and it will be sunny and warm down here, like it was this afternoon.

Just done my first pack/unpack and if they are giving out a prize to the person who brings the most unnecessary kit, I may be in with a shot :D

Ben Casey
03-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I have my car half packed I just need to take my rucksack and food now :D

Kernowek Scouser
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
FOOD!
and then there is booze (should I bring some and if I do, will it be enough?!?)

I may need a backup rucksack ;)

Martin
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
FOOD!
and then there is booze (should I bring some and if I do, will it be enough?!?)

I may need a backup rucksack ;)

There is a bar. ;)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
...Hi Ash do I recognise that shiney thing there lolYou certainly did :o .. I thanked you for it under the image ;) Can't believe it's snowing up there! It's been soo warm down here the past few week or two!

Roadkillphil
03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
There is a bar. ;)

Martin

And Forge Water!! :evilgrin:

Kernowek Scouser
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
There is a bar. ;)

Martin

And Forge Water!! :evilgrin:

I think this weekend is going to be a lot of fun :camping:

Fletching
03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
*If I steal your chair at the Cornwall RV technically it's not my fault, I have a mental illness (you could call a fetish) over green folding chairs, it's my cross to bear so please take pity and do not prosecute.

Steal the cripple's chair, get the cripple's illness.

jus_young
03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Not a problem, mines blue :D

Ben Casey
03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Not a problem, mines blue :D

I just have a foam mate for the ground :D

Ben Casey
03-04-2012, 11:23 PM
You certainly did :o .. I thanked you for it under the image ;) Can't believe it's snowing up there! It's been soo warm down here the past few week or two!

Opps sorry mate I just read back and saw that LOL We had two weeks of great weather and tonight we have snow drifts and a couple of villages cut of :( What climate change LOL

Fletching
04-04-2012, 12:23 AM
You guys better be right about these feckin' pasties.

I've just had one up here and it was like eating lard wrapped in concrete.

Roadkillphil
04-04-2012, 05:02 AM
You guys better be right about these feckin' pasties.

I've just had one up here and it was like eating lard wrapped in concrete.

When you land in the duchy Steve, Get your ass to a proper bakery and haive a pasty from there. Do Not buy pasties from Bodmin or Launceston, theym as rubbish as Devon pasties. Warrens (bakery) ain't that great neither. Rowes are a good place to start, but you can't beat some of the family owned bakery's really. Having said that, pasty purchasing is a real minefield, you're never really sure until you take a bite! Best bet is to drop into Kingsley village at fraddon, by McDonald's and the shell garage on the A30, and grab yourself a Rowes pasty and a bottle of blackberry mead from the Cornish mead co to wash him down. Happy pasty hunting bud! As for that piece of crap you just ate, twernt a real pasty up there, it probably wasn't even steak either??

Fletching
04-04-2012, 05:12 AM
...it probably wasn't even steak either??

If you mean 'steak' as in piece of soggy epididymal cyst, then you're wrong, it was. ;)

...sorry to put you off yer breakfast chaps.

Ken
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Well, rucksacks nearly packed. Just got to sort out the Mrs and the dog and we'll be leaving Thursday night.. I've been looking forward to this for months!

Ben Casey
04-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Well I have the black pudding (as I know ken loves it :D ) and the peas pudding not a lot but enough I think :) The car is packed apart from my last few items and I should be of out the door early in the morning :D
I fancy going now but I will have to wait unless I wake up real early and set off then LOL

Martin
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I won't be leaving till about 1230 on Friday. Still, that will get me there by 1235. :D

Martin

Ben Casey
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I won't be leaving till about 1230 on Friday. Still, that will get me there by 1235. :D
Martin

I think I will have to move again :( :D

Martin
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I think I will have to move again :( :D

T^

Fletching
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Martin

Oi! Spare a thought guv.

Fletching
04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I just have a foam mate for the ground :D

I wouldn't say that in public if I were you Ben. ;)

Metal mug
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Hope everyone has a good time. :D Would like to go but have work commitments. :(

Martin
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Hope everyone has a good time. :D Would like to go but have work commitments. :(

You don't work, you're a student!!

Martin

Martin
04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Oi! Spare a thought guv.

It's not so much of an adventure though, is it? :(

Martin

Ben Casey
04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
It's not so much of an adventure though, is it? :(
Martin

I think you lot in Cornwall have the best of everything so make do LOL

Kernowek Scouser
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I could bring a picture of a Hampson's pasty with me?
I would offer to bring the pasty itself, but it would be gone before I was past the outskirts of Hayle :ashamed:

Second pack/unpack done, slightly less unnecessary kit included this time. I was tempted to to put my tent up tonight and have a cheeky pre weekend overnighter in the garden, but the gale force winds, hail stones and the evil looking bank of black cloud, rolling ominously in from the bay, is making me think maybe not.

Ben Casey
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
I hope the weather isnt that bad down there :(

Fletching
04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I hope the weather isnt that bad down there :(

I thought you'd left already mate. :)

Fletching
04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Any air rifle plinking to be done this year - anyone know? Can't see 'owt on the website.

Martin
04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Are you thinking about bringing a rifle Steve? I may pop mine in the car. I'm sure we could find a quiet corner of the 100 acres to do a bit of plinking.

Martin

Fletching
04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Are you thinking about bringing a rifle Steve? I may pop mine in the car. I'm sure we could find a quiet corner of the 100 acres to do a bit of plinking.

Martin

Sounds good to me! Might have to scope in again mind, as I took it off for a clean. Pigeon breast butties to go with the 'fabled' pasties, eh? Cooking just doesn't get any [enough - Ed.].

Methinks I should've got a Defender 110 instead of a 90 at this rate. I'm trying to out-compete Ben on the 'HOW much food did you bring???' front.

Martin
04-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Yup, sounds good. I'll stick mine in the car. :)

Martin

Fletching
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Yup, sounds good. I'll stick mine in the car. :)

Martin

Sorry mate, change of plan - bottles empty :(

I could bring down the pump as well but all together in a ridiculously big travel case and I don't trust my back with the pump just yet.

What do you think - worth it?

Steve

Martin
04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Feel free to use mine mate. I'm not sure we'll find very much to shoot but is nice to have a tramp around seeing what we can see.

Martin

Fletching
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
That's very kind of you sir. I'll bring some pellets if it's a .22.

Martin
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM
That's very kind of you sir. I'll bring some pellets if it's a .22.

'Tis a .22. Feel free. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Right Im of out the door hopefully I will be there in a few hours :)

JonnyP
05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I am taking an air rifle over to sell at the boot sale.
Cometa fenix 400 carbine, like the one in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikujd6D51A but beech stock.. £90 if anyone is interested. I will take pellets if anyone wants to try it out..

Ashley Cawley
05-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Right Im of out the door hopefully I will be there in a few hours :)Let's hope he makes it! Weather is looking good down this end so far this morning :)

Taking your own air rifles to the RV whatever next!.. I may aswell take my own Tomahawks and start throwing those about :p Cheeky beggers.

Never did manage to get down Matt's for a practice on the hawks :( .. haven't touched one in ages. It'll be great to catch-up with all the lads - it's been too long.

Martin
05-04-2012, 10:17 AM
... It'll be great to catch-up with all the lads - it's been too long.

Yes it has; far too long!!!

Hopefully, we can find a good quiet spot down the bottom end of the woods by the river, where we can get out of everyone's way, for a spot of plinking.

Martin

Roadkillphil
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes it has; far too long!!!

Hopefully, we can find a good quiet spot down the bottom end of the woods by the river, where we can get out of everyone's way, for a spot of plinking.

Martin

I'll bring the coracle for a moving target then ;)

Ken
05-04-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll have to be careful with my green folding chair after seeing your signature Phil!

dave budd
05-04-2012, 01:26 PM
if I bring my broken green folding chair, will it vanish and then return fixed? :D

dave budd
05-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Right. That's the car loaded,if I've forgotten to put something in then tough I shalljust have to go without!

Will seeyou all in a couple of hours then!

Roadkillphil
05-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Haha!!! And so it begins eh!! :D got a feeling it's gonna be a funny weekend!! :D
The irony of living in Cornwall for me is that at the mo I'm stuck in standstill M25 traffic having just done a h&s course in Watford.... Rubbish :( Lookin forward to tomorrow tho :) Lock up yer chairs ;)

Martin
05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Haha!!! And so it begins eh!! :D ......

Ha ha!!! The funny part is, that has been your signature for a couple of days now. ;)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
05-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Ha ha!!! The funny part is, that has been your signature for a couple of days now. ;)

MartinYeah... others might not realise Phil didn't change his signature to that himself, god knows who did :innocent:

There was nearly ructions last year after he stole my Dad's chair - ell'up!

I'm just starting to pack myself now, not like you giddy folk packing/un-packing, it's like porn to you kit-junkies isn't it? ;)

See you soon,

Roadkillphil
05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
When he come into my camp and asked me how we're gonna settle this, I thought he was gonna Wurk my Jahkut!!

Martin
05-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah... others might not realise Phil didn't change his signature to that himself, god knows who did :innocent:

Could it be the same person who keeps deleting my posts?? ;)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
05-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Could it be the same person who keeps deleting my posts?? ;)

MartinYou are a controversial character Martin.. one that needs censoring, I'll catch-up with you in the morning matey :p

Ashley Cawley
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Are Tyler & Kieran coming to the RV then? Haven't heard much of them lately.

Martin
05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think Tyler is. Kieran was saying that he was so we should see him tomorrow.

Martin

Roadkillphil
05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Is Lofty Wiseman coming? He was a scream last year! ;)

Martin
05-04-2012, 06:47 PM
LMAO!!! He's sharing a tent with Ashley. :D

Martin

Martin
05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Are you home now Phil?

Martin

Marvell
05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm now considering bringing a black chair instead of a green one :)

Martin
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm now considering bringing a black chair instead of a green one :)

You must be getting old, you never used to bring a chair at all.

Martin

Roadkillphil
05-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Are you home now Phil?

Martin

Just landed.... and I'm gonna take two chairs in case I misplace one (again) and so I don't nick anyone elses.... Particularly the chairs of Long time Cornish Wrasslin Legends!!! ;)

Matt
05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm going to spend the night pinching green chairs :p :happy-clapping:

Martin
05-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm going to spend the night pinching green chairs :p :happy-clapping:

What time are you getting there Matt? Allie is looking forward to seeing Abi and is bringing another friend with her tomorrow night. The three of them should be well away. :)

Martin

Matt
05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Sometime morra afternoon, you?

Martin
05-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Around lunchtime mate. Depends how quick we get going in the morning. Before 1.00 I hope though.

Martin

Martin
05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Not a single item packed, not a single item even ready for packing. It's going to be a very long morning tomorrow. :(

Martin

jus_young
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM
All ready and waiting...

I may well have a look at that rifle Jonny. See you folks in the morn.

Kernowek Scouser
05-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm toying with the idea of bring my Poundland tripod stool, in the hope that after a few gulps of forge water, someone might say "give us a go on that then" and I can 'look after' their chair for them.

It is green.

Martin
05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm toying with the idea of bring my Poundland tripod stool, in the hope that after a few gulps of forge water, someone might say "give us a go on that then" and I can 'look after' their chair for them.

It is green.

Hope springs eternal!!

Martin

Ashley Cawley
06-04-2012, 08:58 AM
All packed and ready :happy-clapping: now to go pickup some supplies.

Kernowek Scouser
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Been running about like a spare part helping a mate out going to have a bite to eat, do one last kit check then head up. Should be there around six ish

Martin
07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Quick update for you all. The first night of the RV was a very jolly affair. Some excellent banter around the fire, some interesting potions also passed round by Roadkillphil. I carved my very first spoon which I gave to my daughter.

It's been great to meet some new friends as well as hook up with many old ones too. Let the fun continue!!

Martin

Tony1948
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
It's good you'll all haveing a good time hope the wether hold's for you all.one year Ill make it down there,I hope:camping:

Metal mug
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
You don't work, you're a student!!

MartinCorrection - I don't work, I live in the UK :D

Hope everyone has a good time

Martin
08-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you to everyone for a wonderful weekend. These gatherings are always about meeting new friends and old and I wasn't disappointed!! This year was the biggest and best RV ever.

Well done to Scott for winning the tomahawk throwing competition this year and keeping the pride of NaturalBushcraft.

Here's to next year.

Kernowek Scouser
08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I think Spanner needs to update the kit list on the Footsteps website to include Alka-Seltzer and sunglasses!

I had a really good time, met some cracking characters, managed to learn a thing or two and carve a spoon, in between the drinking :D I enjoyed putting faces to usernames and more than anything else, just loved being outdoors for a couple of days, hiking about and having a laugh.

I'd like to thank the folks off here I did catch up with, for making me feel welcome and I hope this proves to be my first RV of many.

The only question that remains to be answered is

'Did Ben actually find someone to give his digicam to?'

Martin
08-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Ha ha ha!! Colin, we reckon Ben would have had more luck if he'd stuck a £5 sticker on it and put it in the boot sale!!

Great to meet you mate and look forward to seeing you around soon.

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
You too fella :D

Roadkillphil
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Well, all settled and clean after an awesome weekend with great company. I made stuff, I bought stuff and was also gifted stuff. A huge thanks to all who made it such a great weekend for me, you know who you are ;) met some new friends and had such a laugh with old friends :D

Here's a pic of what I took away from this weekend

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/6911846400_2727b3f0fe.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/6911846400/)
fox brush (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/6911846400/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

Cheers all

Basha72
09-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Thank you to everyone for a wonderful weekend. These gatherings are always about meeting new friends and old and I wasn't disappointed!! This year was the biggest and best RV ever.

Well done to Scott for winning the tomahawk throwing competition this year and keeping the pride of NaturalBushcraft.

Here's to next year.

What was the final score in the end ?

Was nice to get down again not made it for the last two years, was a bit of a shock when I first drove in to see a lot of the trees gone, was nice to see a couple of the original 12 from the first meet, hope the woods survive the rest of the cull for next years RV

Basha

Marvell
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Cracking time!

Martin
09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
What was the final score in the end ?

Was nice to get down again not made it for the last two years, was a bit of a shock when I first drove in to see a lot of the trees gone, was nice to see a couple of the original 12 from the first meet, hope the woods survive the rest of the cull for next years RV

Basha

Scott got a maximum 18/18. There was a lot of cash spent on trying to match him but it was all in vain. At the end of the day, ginger power prevailed!!

Martin

Basha72
09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Well done him, I had one go managed to get 13 much to to the disproval of my mates who spent most of Friday practicing on the throw, think if I had not been laughing so much I may have got a couple more points lol all good fun in the end

Dave

JonnyP
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Excellent time..!
Last night was so funny with Simons stories and the hit the nail on the head game..
I need to sleep for a week now though, to get over getting drunk for four nights in a row..
Good to see my old mate Pete (The Joker) come down, and good to see all my bushcraft buddies again.

One thing I noticed though, is that the bigger the RV is getting, the smaller it seems.. There were a lot of people camped out in the woods doing their own thing, so the workshops seemed to be quieter than previous years. Also the communal area was less attended every evening (apart from the last night).
I am not sure if its because we are all skint these days, or wether its because we have all been there and done that, or just because bigger groups split into smaller groups and everyone does their own thing..
So long everyone enjoyed themselves is all that matters though..

Martin
09-04-2012, 05:29 PM
In fairness mate, it was bloomin' freezing up at the workshop area. The loss of the larch there means that the wind whistles up the hill. We were all busy whittling and yapping around the fire each evening and never bothered with the bar too much. In fact, I had two pints on Saturday night and that was pretty much my lot.

Still can't wait for next year. The hunt is now on for more people to do more classes and workshops. Spanner is intent on not making it a 'commercial' affair with loads of stall and sellers. :)

Martin

JonnyP
09-04-2012, 06:03 PM
In fairness mate, it was bloomin' freezing up at the workshop area. The loss of the larch there means that the wind whistles up the hill. We were all busy whittling and yapping around the fire each evening and never bothered with the bar too much. In fact, I had two pints on Saturday night and that was pretty much my lot.

Still can't wait for next year. The hunt is now on for more people to do more classes and workshops. Spanner is intent on not making it a 'commercial' affair with loads of stall and sellers. :)

Martin

Yes it was cold on the field with the wind blowing straight in (it snapped the pole holding my chute up), and that didn't help, but I only had one person make something on the pole lathe all weekend (and pole lathing keeps you warm). The wicker lady next to me looked very quiet. The bow maker was quiet. Even Dave looked quiet. It can't just be the wind to blame.
I know Spanner wants more workshops, but people need to use them or there will be no workshops.
Maybe it would work well with the RV just being a camping weekend with only a few bits n bobs laid on..?
These are only observations btw.. I had a fantastic time, as I always do there, and being quiet on the lathe, means I can pop off and see other things going on.

Marvell
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I think moving the pub and nosh to the communal area will help.

Martin
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm surprised that there wasn't more interest in the workshops or classes John. I'm not sure that the bar or food stall was in the best place but it wasn't exactly hard to find was it?

Who knows what the answers are but I hope makers etc do come back next year. Spanner was saying that there were twice as many people there this year as last so maybe people are just feeling the pinch a bit financially? I rather fancied that F1 that was at the table sale yesterday morning but it was a bit out of my price range.

Martin

Jan
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM
We loved it. Having a 12yr old kept me from the pub area, otherwise I'd have popped up for a drink or 2. We were very happy whittling and chatting around the fire with you guys so thank you.

Cheyenne only did one workshop this year (I think we took part in 6 last year between us), that was due to financial limits....no reflection on how much we enjoyed them last year, I'd have taken part in them all if I could.

Already looking forward to next year.....:camping:

Martin
09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey Jan, a very warm welcome to the forum. You must hold the world record for lurking before joining. In fact, I could have sworn that you'd been posting on here for years already. :)

Next year, we'll do more workshops.

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
09-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I think moving the pub and nosh to the communal area will help.
... or moving the workshops nearer the pub :D

I do think money was a factor and I did hear a few people say they were on a budget and not keen of having to pay for the workshops. But as there is a thread already dedicated to paying for instruction v sharing skills for free. I'll not rake over old coals in this one.

For myself, time was more of an issue than money, I rocked up late Friday evening and buggered off as early Sunday morning as my hangover allowed, which only left Saturday to grab some learning. And if I am honest, I had no idea what to expect before I got there.

I did one pay for instruction workshop (woodcarving which was ACE :happy-clapping:) and wandered into a couple of free ones... after they had started. I would've liked to have done more and if I had been a bit more organised and a bit less drunk, I may have succeeded. But there is always next year and now I have been and have a feel for the event, I imagine I'll get more out of it second time around... so long as I aviod the bar and/or drink less :ashamed:

JonnyP
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Well it sounds like the bar did ok lol.
I rather fancied that F1 too Martin. I think that was a good price for a micarta handled one.. I offered to swap it for my air rifle, but he already had one.. I had to have that scope though :0)

harryhawk
09-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Hello all, good to catch up with you all again.
Congrats to Scott.....mutter...mutter..... I'll be back! The next six count, pressure's on, pip pip....Bad loser I am :guns:
Good to meet old friends & catch up. Nice to meet new people too, Jonny Pete (Joker) is a nice guy. Had a good laugh.
On the subject of workshops Ben & I try to do a couple every year. We've done carving with Neil, leather with Leon and through that we've gained valuable experience & tips, as well as friendship:happy-clapping:
I think the communal layout wasn't the best. Last year the beer tent was right, grab a pint and then settle on a seat and have a natter.
Having Ben (13 years) in tow we spent most of the time in the communal area or around the great NaturalBushcraft social fire, whittling, green seat zone:evilgrin:

jus_young
09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
My general impression was much the same as everyone else - it seemed very quiet but there were loads of people there :confused:

Had a great time again and the kids enjoyed themselves so much we had the usual moans when it came time to leave. Glad to see so many children there as it really does make a great family event where you feel able to let them run around in relative safety and know that the kids workshops are going to keep them occupied for a while.

Jonny - give the other half a thanks from me and my good lady for her work with the kids as mine thoroughly enjoyed the sessions they did with Jane T^

Came away with another blade from Dave Budd. This time for the little ladies first fixed blade so some more work for me now putting an antler handle on that one. The chap running the bowyer workshop was first class and the boy came away happy with a newly made bow and some arrows. Overall a bleedin' good time had by all and next year won't come quick enough. Good to see folks again and meet some new ones as always.

jus_young
09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
This is Sue, the missus, hi to all from the R.V thanks for a great weekend.
I have been told that I may come across as rude when I speak to people, I do not mean to, so if I did SORRY.
SUE x

Martin
09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
This is Sue, the missus, hi to all from the R.V thanks for a great weekend.
I have been told that I may come across as rude when I speak to people, I do not mean to, so if I did SORRY.
SUE x

You certainly didn't seem rude to me Sue, not that I'd notice anyway. It's a funny old situation, where everyone seems to know each other but actually, we've hardly ever met any of the people there. Glad you enjoyed it and you'll know even more people next year. Unless you're too rude to say hello. :p

Martin

Raven
10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Another great weekend with friends, ryan had a great time and made lots of new friends as well as meeting old ones, big thanks to em and the girls from the wrong side of the track for looking after him whilst over there and of course jane and helpers who keep them all occupied.

Money was a factor this year with regards to courses but i will try to get on some more next year. Thanks to dave for the knife sharpening help, much appreciated mate.

Naturalbushcraft camp was as welcoming and funny as ever, just keep an eye on ya chair. Always a pleasure chaps

Marvell
10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Oddly, I was not on a budget, even though I should have been, but for everything I wanted to buy, I took a step back and wondered if I'd actually use it enough to justify the cost. I guess that's expereience. Without Sophie and Mia this year, I was able to do a bit of smithying and though I could have spent a day in there, I just couldn't think what I wanted to make. I'm going with a plan next year :)

Ben Casey
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi All I just got back I stopped of at a hotel last night as the jams on the motorway where mad :( I was going to stop of at Ivans but yet again I never got there again :( but I will one day :)

It was great to see ken and his Missus (KEN was awake how cool is that LOL) and to be honest I spent loads of time with him talking about stuff so I'm sorry if I didn’t mix too much but I had a great time and seeing all the old faces and new was great.

It was great seeing everyone again it always makes me feel good when I'm down South at the R.V.

I did the bow making course again as I'm sort of hooked on that and then the rest of the time I kept walking around looking at things to buy thinking I need to win the lottery :) But next year I'm determined to get one of Dave’s knives and do the sharpening course (I put my name down every year then get side tracked) sorry Dave :)

Oh I got rid of the Dig cam in the end it was harder than selling dodgy stuff on the street corner though and some of the looks I got was very funny LOL

Anyway how about a comp for the longest drive next year I have to winn that at 425 miles :D So see you all next year :D

Ben

Fletching
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
That was fun!

Martin
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Glad you both made it back, safe and sound. :)

Martin

Ashley Cawley
10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Had a great weekend, nice to meet friends new/old. Shame I was a bit ill toward the end :/ (not drink induced either! :p)

I'll read through the previous posts dreckly, but first up congrats to...

the new Axe Throwing Champean of 2012! Scott Dursley!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/218966/Forums/NBC/images/scott-axe-throwing.JPG

Well done mate!

More photos coming soon...

Martin
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Cracking picture Ash. :)

Martin