PDA

View Full Version : Trangia Army Stove

Norseman
21-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi, I just got a Swedish army stove from Hoods Military Mart. Its a stainless version bcs of it is more durable and easier to keep clean. Ofcourse its probably more heavy than the aluminiumkind. I tried it to brew some tea and it worked well. It has a methburner and a plastic bottle with meth. Maybe 4 dl.
I think I will add some kind of measuringcup to save fuel since it burned a long time after my tea was finished despite my effort to just add a little. :-)

So now I have to deside what to carry on a regular basic. The Trangia or my new Ikea kitchentool woodstove. I like the Ikea that also doubles as a meth system with a canstove. Anyone try to burn wood in the windshield of the Trangia? Maybe the aluminium will weaken by the heat? I dont like to destroy it for the trials sake.

rich290185
21-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I haven't had chance to try it yet but i ask the same question not to long ago! I dont think i will be to much of a prob with a steel one,

I'll see if I can give it a go this week to see how it go's.

I love this stove so simple

Realbark
21-11-2011, 08:44 PM
i havent used wood in my SAT but have in my Ranger Stove. The ally does become softer and pliable but if it ever gets out of shape its easily pushed back. i guess the same would/wood go for the SAT (ally version). To be honest they are cheapish stoves anyway so not the end of the world if they are softened. I have not used wood in the SAT purely by not needing to so far - but will as required.

Norseman
21-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Burning wood in the windshield would really make it versatile. :-) It has a lot of space and airvents, especially if placed on some stones or gravel to make the air come from beneath. But the pot maybe have to be put on top and not down in the windshield as I had a problem with draft in the hobostove. Putting the pot on the top would let the flames live freely to help the fire. But again it have openings in the front and sides. Maybe its enough. :-) I look forward on Your report after the weekend, Rich. :-)

rich290185
21-11-2011, 10:05 PM
good point Norseman, time for some testing me thinks. And if it does get out of shape i have a new hammer that needs testing too ;)

andy t
22-11-2011, 07:07 AM
I don't think you need a measuring cup as the great thing with trangias is you can screw the lid back on when you have finished cooking and save any unused meths( after it's cooled down of course). Or you could add one fluid ounce of meths at a time to the bottle and mark it with an indelible pen. If you don't like leaving meths in the stove after you've finished then experience will soon give you a good idea of how much you need to put in for different jobs.

cuppa joe
22-11-2011, 08:38 AM
buy a simmer ring for your burner then just drop it on when you have done cooking...it puts the burner out...dont use the normal cap though as the rubber seal will be damaged by the heat...you can buy a spare burner which comes with a simmer ring on and may want to use this burner as it is lighter than the original.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-ALCOHOL-METHS-SPIRIT-STOVE-COOKER-BURNER-CAMPING-ARMY-SAS-SF-SURVIVAL-/120805499385?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1c2091a1f9

cuppa joe
22-11-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-co-uk-Camping-UK-Spirit-Burner/dp/B002ABY9WW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1321954781&sr=8-11

rich290185
22-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Right guys i have tryed it! i have the steel one BTW, it gave me a few things to look at......

1) i really need to practice my fire lighting!!!! :campfire: :confused2:

2) standing dead wood that seems dry probs isn't if you live in yorkshire!!!

but to my test...

After managing to get the fire going and not with a raging fire going in the windshield I got a rolling boil after 5 mins ish

the steel didn't warp or bend in any way and everything fit back together as it should.

As to Norsemans point about how close to put the pan it didn't see much change to flame size,

although i didn't have chance to try raising the windshield up i think this would help.

the only other prob I found was with the pan down inside the windshield as you would use it with the meths burner it was difficult to add more fuel with out lifting the pan

so if you run out of meths you can use it as a wood burner hope this is helpful to everyone :)

markal17
23-11-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks rich il give it a go very helpful mate

cuppa joe
23-11-2011, 07:03 PM
just turn the windshield upside down.

Norseman
23-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Great Rich! Good information. When i tried my Hobo stove I had a draft problem and plus some probably damp wood..... :-)