PDA

View Full Version : Ash Cakes -

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Due to my recent chinwag with Mike on the Chatroom, i've decided to make some Ash cakes! Im going to make some this weekend, weather dependant. But im just posting this as i would like to know if people have made them before - Ingredients and cooking time.

-200g corn flour
-water
-salt
-raisins

5 minutes on each side. ??

Martin
30-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Corn flour? Really??

Martin

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 01:40 PM
You can use almost any flour for ash cakes( acorn is good) but i don't think corn flour would do it.They would turn out like concrete! chestnut is good as well,lovely and sweet.

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Is it Cornmeal? :D might have made a little mistake. Can you buy the mentioned flours above??
Does your normal white flour work?

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeh corn meal sounds more like it! just about any flour will do, you can buy chestnut flour (health food shops/on line) not sure about acorn though,Have a go at making your own, doesn't have to be super fine like packet stuff. seem to remember Ray M in one of his tv shows(alond with some older guy with glasses?) even made flour from something like water lilley bulbs,though i stand to be corrected on that one, Paul

Silverback
30-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeh corn meal sounds more like it! just about any flour will do, you can buy chestnut flour (health food shops/on line) not sure about acorn though,Have a go at making your own, doesn't have to be super fine like packet stuff. seem to remember Ray M in one of his tv shows(alond with some older guy with glasses?) even made flour from something like water lilley bulbs,though i stand to be corrected on that one, Paul

That was Rays wild foods programme no longer available on I player but on DVD, theres a book and Im sure its on youtube somewhere

heres the BBC link to the episodes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006rcv4/episodes/guide#b006rctf

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Well done sapper!Glad i wasn't dreaming

AdrianRose
30-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I have made these a few times (makes a change from bannock constantly) and have to say that cornmeal works really well but just be careful that you don't put too much fluid in otherwise it turns into a horrible sticky mess.

Take a little ordinary flour with you to dry it up if necessary.

Have you tried to make hazelnut damper bread? It's one of my favourites.

http://img.tapatalk.com/57730a88-78b0-bc15.jpg

Ade.

Terry
30-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Adrian, that looks super.... what does it smell like and was it cooked on an open fire?

markal17
30-11-2011, 06:22 PM
iv never made ash cake but did make a sort of ash cake once lolol

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 06:56 PM
thanks for the replys guys, Ade how did you make that ? Looks nice will definitely try that. Will be going out to try a few different recipes and maybe try making some Acorn Flour when i next find some acorns!!

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Will definitely be having a go at ash cakes with some different flours this weekend, will allow me to try out my tarp if the weaths pants.. also will try out a new spoon ;P

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Acorns also make a quite passable coffee if well roasted, well worth a go if you find plenty and they really need roasting at home in the oven.

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 08:06 PM
What's the season for them, when would i be able to start foraging for them?

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Almost to late for them now mate but you may be lucky, you really need green ones if possible,goggle the method or i will post it here

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 08:11 PM
If you don't mind posting the link ;D but i'll have a look on google anyhow!

paulthefish2009
30-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Just shell them and dry them in a warm oven, then chop them up coarsly then roast them in a hot oven, when well done grind them up like coffee beans and brew up!! They have a bit of a earthy,slightly bitter taste but a splash of condensed milk soon sorts that out

WombleWill
30-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Sounds good, will have to have a look for some this weekend!

Proventurer
01-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Is it Cornmeal? :D might have made a little mistake. Can you buy the mentioned flours above??
Does your normal white flour work?

Mealie meal (corn meal) is a staple food here in SA, it will make agreat base for your cakes, try the addition of other flours, till you get the consistency and taste combination your looking for!
Just don't repeat the mistake of King Elfred the Great and turn your cakes to ash!

WombleWill
01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266320179 - Island Sun Fine Cornmeal (Pelenta) 500g
Would this be suitable on its own/mixed with other flour to make Ash cakes !?

Martin
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266320179 - Island Sun Fine Cornmeal (Pelenta) 500g
Would this be suitable on its own/mixed with other flour to make Ash cakes !?

Try it and find out. The essence of bushcraft is experimentation.

Martin

paulthefish2009
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Just remembered something quite important,you must soak acorns for a few days to remove some of the tannins!! change the water twice a day.To much tannin wil give you a upset stomach, sorry for not mentioning this last night..............to much wine i think :ashamed:

Ben Casey
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Didnt Ray Mears leave them danling in a stream on one of his shows? :)

WombleWill
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Have just bought some Cornmeal, and will be trying making some tomorrow evening. And will be trying a different recipe on saturday ;D

AdrianRose
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Adrian, that looks super.... what does it smell like and was it cooked on an open fire?

It's a really easy recipe to be honest. I'll dig it out of my campfire recipe book and put it on here. The ones in the picture were cooked in the oven at home but I have also cooked them in a Dutch oven and a "log oven" in the campfire.

comanighttrain
03-12-2011, 10:44 AM
iv never made ash cake but did make a sort of ash cake once lolol

a bit of dutchcraft eh?

rossbird
03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
And I make the best cake ash this side of the river Irwell:rolleyes:

WombleWill
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Update -
Just had a go at making Ash cakes, didn't film/picture them as my camera was playing up at the time! Will definitely make them again as my friends i was with liked them ;D They were a bit burnt in places but didnt bother us ;P The raisins mostly...

Plain White Flour,
2 Handful of Raisins,
3/4 Cup of water,
Pinch of Baking Soda,

Thumbcrusher
03-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Didnt Ray Mears leave them danling in a stream on one of his shows? :)

I believe he did Ben and got six months for it! LOL. I think you should stay on topic ha ha!!

Howling Dingo
03-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Hungry now..!!

AdrianRose
03-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok chaps, as promised earlier, here is the recipe for the Hazelnut Damper bread that I put a picture of above.

250g self-raising flour
half teaspoon of salt
25g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
175ml of milk
Small handful of finely chopped and diced hazelnuts.

method
Mix the flour with the salt in a bowl
Add the butter rubbing with the finger tips till it resembles fin brad crumbs. Then add the hazel nuts.
Add the milk with a round bladed knife to make a soft but not sticky dough.
Turn it out onto a floured surface and shape into a soft ball. Place the ball onto a baking tray and flatten gently to make a round about 17cm across.
Cut a deep cross in the centre and brush lightly with milk.
Bake at 190c for about 30 mins
serve warm with butter.

If you are going to cook this in a campfire, you will have to experiment with times etc dependent on whether you are using a Dutch Oven, a log oven, clay oven etc

Also remember that all woods burn differently and at different speeds and heats, so experimentation will be needed.

Ade