PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Planning Meeting

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Hey guys & gals,

I have recently become an ASL at my sons scout troop, I am attending my first planning meeting on Monday & was wondering if other leaders from on here could send me some either:

1, Ideas for normal evenings?
2, Ideas for more adventurous ones?
3, Copies of your itineraries for inspiration?

I hope you all can help & I have looked at varying scouting threads, got some ideas & obviously doing traditional scouting skills are quite high on mine & the kids agenda but other inspirations welcome.

No'3's a godsend though!

:please::please::please::camping:

Silverback
08-12-2011, 07:12 PM
a day out with a mountain rescue team, would that be a start ?

WombleWill
08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Different ways of making fire, Shelter Building, Leaving No Trace Rule, Sustainability, Camp craft - Skinning, Carving? Safely using knives, axes, saws, Map reading?
How old are the kids? These tasks might not be suited to younger kids, Health&Safety and all.

All the best,
Will.

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
a day out with a mountain rescue team, would that be a start ?

As ever sir you are a legend defo on the list, what a good idea, & could you do a basic personal safety type thingy one evening?

WombleWill
08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Identifying wild foods, Mushrooms, Berries, Different Tree Species, Dangers of Poisonous foods ?? just general bushcraft do's and don't.

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Different ways of making fire, standard. Shelter Building, Leaving No Trace, Sustainability Campcraft - Skinning, Carving? Safely using knives, axes saws, Map reading?
How old are the kids? These tasks might not be suited to younger kids, Health&Safety and all.

All the best,
Will.

All the kids are under 12 & it's a relatively small secondary troop from a very well supported & kitted out group, but the leaders are ageing !

More detail than necessary but it all helps!

Silverback
08-12-2011, 07:49 PM
As ever sir you are a legend defo on the list, what a good idea, & could you do a basic personal safety type thingy one evening?

Of course want me to bring 'superdog' ;) ?

I suppose the 'big secret' is out of the bag now too ;)

Did something similar at Scammonden for one of the Colne Valley troops and some air cadets couple of years back, did a staged rescue and all sorts of associated SAR stuff.

Another idea, at its base the team have cooking facilities, 3 showers, toilets for boys and girls, and drying room, camping field all relatively cheap and close enough to your group that mummy and daddy can drop them off to spend the weekend.

Does that interest you ?

Which group by the way?

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Of course want me to bring 'superdog' ;) ?

I suppose the 'big secret' is out of the bag now too ;)

Did something similar at Scammonden for one of the Colne Valley troops and some air cadets couple of years back, did a staged rescue and all sorts of associated SAR stuff.

Another idea, at its base the team have cooking facilities, 3 showers, toilets for boys and girls, and drying room, camping field all relatively cheap and close enough to your group that mummy and daddy can drop them off to spend the weekend.

Does that interest you ?

Which group by the way?

Interest oh yes that sounds like a plan!

I'll raise it as an option possibly as a camp for feb or march?

It's 1st Holme Valley Holmfirth Monday night troop!

What's your surname so I don't sound too weird saying "I met a bloke online!" ?

AdrianRose
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi there and I'm really sorry for hijacking this thread but something has just dawned on me.

I've been practising Bushcraft for more years than I can remember and I should really help out somewhere and pass on the few bits that I have learnt. So my question is:

How/who/where would I contact a group like the scouts etc to offer my time?

Ade.

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi there and I'm really sorry for hijacking this thread but something has just dawned on me.

I've been practising Bushcraft for more years than I can remember and I should really help out somewhere and pass on the few bits that I have learnt. So my question is:

How/who/where would I contact a group like the scouts etc to offer my time?

Ade.

Easy really either go no the scout website to find local troops then either contact the District Commissioner for your town or go direct to a particular group & contact the Group Scout Leader & offer away my friend!

You'll be asked to do a CRB check, before full committal but most areas are crying out for volunteers!

jus_young
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Don't forget the first aid badge. This comes under a few levels so can take a number of evenings to cover, you need someone with the knowledge to pass on. Currently doing the Pioneering Badge with our group that involves knot work, lashings, pulleys, basic and more advanced construction projects from a wash stand to a bridge or catapult (not your basic 'Y' stick but full on Medieval stylee!). Map work and orienteering is another we have just completed.

For ideas and resoursces visit the scouts web site and loads of info is available. If you register you will get a login that will allow you to access loads of info that will help you in putting together a program.

jus_young
08-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Easy really either go no the scout website to find local troops then either contact the District Commissioner for your town or go direct to a particular group & contact the Group Scout Leader & offer away my friend!

You'll be asked to do a CRB check, before full committal but most areas are crying out for volunteers!

Beat me to it on this one!

Don't go in too enthusiasticaly either as you may scare them silly! Some groups are very limited on the types of things they do and may see our bushcraft antics as a bit full on :D

They get used to it though and pretty soon thats all the scouts want to do!

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey guys & gals,

I have recently become an ASL at my sons scout troop, I am attending my first planning meeting on Monday & was wondering if other leaders from on here could send me some either:

1, Ideas for normal evenings?
2, Ideas for more adventurous ones?
3, Copies of your itineraries for inspiration?

I hope you all can help & I have looked at varying scouting threads, got some ideas & obviously doing traditional scouting skills are quite high on mine & the kids agenda but other inspirations welcome.

No'3's a godsend though!

:please::please::please::camping:

Now back to my original beg guys please?

jus_young
08-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Oh, and don't worry about the health and safety side :shocked:

Seriously, health and safety is something to be observed but not a barrier. Risk assess and do things in a safe manner but never allow the rules to stop you from doing something. Our parents are informed at the beginning of each term what their loved ones are going to do, whether its knives, axes, swinging from trees in the woods, playing with fire and if they don't like it - don't let your kids come to scouts as this is what we do!

Never had one leave yet, the scouts keep going home happy and coming back for more :)

Silverback
08-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh and by the way im a qualified first aid instructor both for workplace and wilderness if that helps

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Cheers Jus

I am with you on the whole health & safety palaver!

jus_young
08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh and by the way im a qualified first aid instructor both for workplace and wilderness if that helps

Even better!

PM me your email address and I will send over an example of our termly programme.

Reaps72
08-12-2011, 11:23 PM

Consider yourself booked !

AdrianRose
08-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

Ade.

Silverback
09-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Even better!

PM me your email address and I will send over an example of our termly programme.

I would if i could but youre email addy is full allegedly

jus_young
09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I would if i could but youre email addy is full allegedly

Try again, just emptied it :ashamed:

jus_young
11-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Emailed over gents, have a look, hope it helps in some way.