PDA

View Full Version : My first real success

wescobts
11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I had ordered a 12 cm Zebra billy pot from Bens Backwoods and received it earlier this week, and wanted to give it a try. I had intentions of cooking a rice dish, black beans & rice with chorizo to be exact. Well this morning came around , looked in the pantry and... no rice, no beans and no chorizo :mad2:

Then it will be oatmeal and coffee- no oatmeal, then coffee and crackers, crackers I have, let it be written- let it be said :D

I have this spot out in the woods where I try and practice "our" craft. I collect the tinder, kindling & fuel. Now you all must understand I am just getting the hang of this, so I will be using a lighter to start my fire. I am more about christening my billy then any thing else. Lighter is empty... hmm, I think to myself ...this is not beginning well.

I do have a "Light My Fire" fire starter, but have had no success, I find it too small for me, and can't generate the sparks I am looking for. Now push has come to shove. I think well... I will have to do it like the big boys do and scrap some bark into a powder and get my fire lit this way. I reach for my field knife (large Cascade from Blind Horse Knives), nope, left it at home ! :zombie-fighting: I start scraping some birch bark into a fine powder using my beloved Alox Soldier (SAK). I put this powder and small scrapings into some T.P. I carry for... well you all have been there ;)

I start striking the sparking rod and low and behove... I have a small fire. I gingerly start feeding it with more tinder which consists of birch bark, torn into small strips. I now start with kindling & shortly I am adding fuel. I am on the verge of breaking into song, I have done it :happy-clapping:

I had already built a crane with forked sticks and a crossbar along with a notched hook stick a few weeks ago so, all I had to do is watch the fire and build a good bed of coals.

I poured in 16 ozs of water and set it on the hook stick and secure it to the crossbar with some bailing wire I had carried. In under ten minutes I had a rolling boil for my coffee. I had read and seen enough vids about the plastic clips melting off, and my experience was no different.

So a hot cup of coffee and some crackers for me and my dog Molly was our fare for the morning. Simply sublime !

I kept thinking in the back of my head, "what if I was doing this for real" "what if my wife Mary Anne was depending on me? " I did not let any of these hurdles upset me, and I just soldiered on to complete my task at hand.

After today I am now going to try and do something every Sunday at my spot. Building on my experience until I have become proficient in "our" craft no matter the circumstances.

I know one thing, I had better get organized, a list would do me well.

Tony1948
11-12-2011, 04:32 PM
You did it in the end:happy-clapping:And lernt sumthing by you'r mistkes:rock-on:you'll have cracked it for next time.:wink::jumping-joy:

Ben Casey
11-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Good write up sounds fun :)

wescobts
11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys, it was really something for me at least. :D

LandRoverMatt
11-12-2011, 06:04 PM
hope you had a good time in the end ;)

JEEP
11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
T^

Metal mug
12-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Well done. Was the lighter made in Britain by any chance? :D

jus_young
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Sounds like one of the lighters I bought the other day. Only lasted a couple of days, filled it back up and hasn't worked since. Worst 99p ever spent :mad2:

Adam Savage
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Well done with the fire success buddy. Excellent little story too mate.

Adam

wescobts
12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys :cool: Something "so simple" brings so much joy, this is new for me and I was really stoked.

BTW the lighter was more like one of the mini torches, really nice, but no good empty.

I am looking forward to this weekend, building on the success.