PDA

View Full Version : My "Brew in The Woods" Kit

Roadkillphil
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Hey all, While out for a brew in Ladock woods I emptied out my Snugpak response bag and got a snapshot of the contents. This pack goes everywhere with me and depending on what I'm doing and how long I'm out for I complement it with one of 2 backpacks. For yesterdays jaunt with the kids I took my Gelert Nero 18 which contained my Camelbak, waterproof jacket, Kneepads, foil/green ripstop groundsheet, a pack of snackajacks and that all important pasty!
So heres the pic of my brew bag

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7157/6490542945_79d891a3e3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/6490542945/)
My kit for a day in the woods (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/6490542945/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

And here's the list...

On the outside of the bag:
-A North face camera pouch that normally secures the head of my axe
-A Paramedics tool holster containing bahco laplander, lipsalve, surgical needle (splinter removal) and soon my new folding pocket saw (under construction from a jigsaw blade and piece of oak, used for carving projects)
-Flexcut Carvin jack
-Gerber multitool, not sure on model. Also contains a pencil in this pouch.
-Petzl E-Lite, a great waterproof camp headtorch with built in whistle.... nifty kit
-A couple of handy Krabs

In the main compartment:
-Honey stove
-First aid kit containing large dressing, cut to size plaster roll, steristrips, alcohol wipes, suture set, ibuprofen, paracetamol
-granola bars
-chocolate
-Tibetan 1100 Ti billy containing whitebox stove, windbreak, meths, teabags, 3in1 coffee sachets, sweetner, woodspirit spoon, billy hanger cable

In the front pouch:
-Source colapsable water bottle for dirty water collection
-Millbank bag to filter said dirty water

In the left side pouch:
-Paracord
-Binoculars

In the right side pouch:
-Fire kit, containing tinderbox (birchbark, tindercard, dry lint), a mayastick (cheers Ash :D ), cotten wool, LMF firesteel/whistle, Blueflame lighter and a DD hammock bag for kindling collection.

On my person a carry my peasant Svord as a neck knife and I have my Shemagh, Barbour 100% wool fingerless gloves and possum fur/merino wool hat.

Obviously this kit evolves contiuously, but this is what I usually take out with me when playing in the woods.

Thanks for looking

Phil

paul standley
11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Good mix of kit items there Phil, I never seem to take the same bits two trips running and still end up with too much...!

I like the idea of using a camera bag to secure the head of an axe, I think I'll try that.

Thanks for sharing.

Roadkillphil
11-12-2011, 10:23 PM
I like the idea of using a camera bag to secure the head of an axe, I think I'll try that.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Paul. :D The camera case is one that is designed to go on a bergan shoulder strap. So rather than a belt loop, it has a snap loop at the top to attach to the shoulder strap "D" loops and a horizontal strap at the bottom to wrap round the shoulder strap. So with this rig I turn the pouch on its side, have the normally horizontal strap round the waist belt of the Response Pak and the snaplock on one of the loops on the side pouch..... Slot the axe head in and do up the strap and the axe handle hangs nicely downwards.... Kinda makes me feel like batman tho having all my tools on my waist!!! :D

jus_young
11-12-2011, 11:19 PM
It always amazes me just how much gear will fit in one of those Response Packs. I have one myself that used to carry my bits and peices for when out and about. The problem I found was that it became a bit too small for the additional bits needed for Scout evenings so ended up migrating to a day sack. Now that I have the Honey Stove and set it up the way I wanted I think the Response Pack will come back out of retirement. The Stove travels with me on my daily trips to various sites, makes me coffee and hot chocolate as well as a hot snack now these days are getting colder and the Pack will make an ideal grab bag with everything in.

I do like your kit list there Phil, just got to get me the Ti mug to finish the cook system off.

markal17
11-12-2011, 11:46 PM
cool kit mate

Roadkillphil
12-12-2011, 06:29 AM
I do like your kit list there Phil, just got to get me the Ti mug to finish the cook system off.

Haha! The Ti mug is ace, Martin and Matt both use one and after seeing theirs in action on the 8 items challenge I couldn't resist! :D It's great that my entire brew kit including stove and meths fit in it.

I remember seeing your response pak at the RV, 's where I first thought about getting one. I love using it in combo with my 18L pack but with my 35L overnight/weekend bag it clips onto the side.

Even with all this kit there is still room for more! It's like a mini TARDIS!! :D

All the best

Phil

JEEP
12-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Looks like a very sensible and well thought through kit.

The only things I would add would be liquid hand sanitizer, toilet paper and a small trowel.

Roadkillphil
12-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Cheers Jakob, just added the toilet paper and sanitizer.... I'm not a big fan of using dock leaves!! :D

Woodwose
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Some good bits there, never seen a response pack in the flesh yet, wondered about them though.
I've got the usual stuff in my rucksack, Waterproof jacket
a few energy bars, bottled water a few plasters and pain killers, pruning saw, flannel, SAK. Instead of the sanitizer - toilet paper I have a resealable pack of tea tree wet wipes. After a bimble last week, quite a bit of it is covered in fruit cocktail and syrup after it burst when I sat on my pack for a tea break. Time to add a small plastic camo tarp I reckon.

jus_young
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
The response bags are a good bit of kit for the price. Maxpedition gear would do a similar job but at three or four times the price, no brainer really.

I carry the sanitiser in mine but the trowel is in the day sack that normaly comes out as it has me food in :)

Al21
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice set-up! I like the way the response pack allows you to expand the limits of your trip by adding a day bag etc easily, something which doesn't work so well with my Finnish respirator bag.

Do you always carry a camelback or similar for water or rely on finding local water to clean when out with just this kit?

Al

Roadkillphil
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Cheers Al, depends on where I'm going and what the weathers gonna be like. If its warm and sunny and I know there is a reliable water source then its just the response pak. if its a whole day out, got the kids, weathers kak or no water source then I take the Nero. Also I may wanna take extra gear like my full carving set, a tarp or more food to share, so my kit evolves depending on many variables.

Realearner
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Love that bit of kit, very well thought out. Guess you might have a bit of experience.
Think I will look at mine now.

Ben Casey
12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
That reminds me I need to go find all my kit again it is all over the place I was looking for my torch earlier and I just could not find anything :(

wescobts
12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Not to sound like a smart alleck, I am sincere. Is tea really the preferred drink ? I have seen coffee mention here and there. It's just that all the BBC shows, or anything for that matter seems to show all the good folks of the British Empire drinking tea. So when I see post or a vid of having a "brew" can I assume hot tea ?

JEEP
12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
That reminds me I need to go find all my kit again it is all over the place I was looking for my torch earlier and I just could not find anything :(

I know that feeling.

Roadkillphil
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Not to sound like a smart alleck, I am sincere. Is tea really the preferred drink ? I have seen coffee mention here and there. It's just that all the BBC shows, or anything for that matter seems to show all the good folks of the British Empire drinking tea. So when I see post or a vid of having a "brew" can I assume hot tea ?

I reckon tea is the firm favourite over here, but most folks I know drink both tea and coffee. In my brewkit I carry a variety of fruit tea bags, some coffee sachets and some hot chocolate sachets. I'll drink whatever, depending on my mood.

wescobts
13-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks Phil, I was kind of on edge, wanting to find out, yet not wanting to touch a sore subject or start one.

markal17
13-12-2011, 11:01 PM
it has to be pg tips tea for me lolol

kabishka
13-12-2011, 11:12 PM
may i ask what everyone does with their used toilet paper when there are no bins? carrying it is rather... well, smelly?

jus_young
13-12-2011, 11:25 PM
may i ask what everyone does with their used toilet paper when there are no bins? carrying it is rather... well, smelly?

Leave it in the hole with the @@@@! If the hole is not too deep then nature will take care of it in no time at all.

Welcome to the forum by the way, why not introduce yourself on the 'introduce yourself' thread.

JEEP
14-12-2011, 08:09 AM
If it is safe, I'll burn the paper in the cathole I have dug.

If burning is not an option, I use toilet paper for chemical toilets, it dissolves in water/moist soil very quickly - if the soil is dry, I pour water on from my canteen.

In rocky/sandy areas, I will pack the paper out in leakproof bags. Not the most appealing option, but neither is it appealing to find ones view spoiled by other people's "toilet tissue flowers" scattered around the landscape.

Common myths:
-Normal toilet paper and human waste wil dissolve quickly in moist soil. Wrong; studies show that even in very nutrient rich soul, both paper and human waste take years to decompose.
-If you dig your cathole shallow enough, decomposing will happen faster. Not really; the depht of the hole makes little difference. And, if the hole is too shallow, the contents will be unearthed by foxes, dogs or other animals, scattering it over the immediate area.

www.lnt.org

Al21
14-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Cheers Al, depends on where I'm going and what the weathers gonna be like. If its warm and sunny and I know there is a reliable water source then its just the response pak. if its a whole day out, got the kids, weathers kak or no water source then I take the Nero. Also I may wanna take extra gear like my full carving set, a tarp or more food to share, so my kit evolves depending on many variables.

I think you must have access to better water than I do here in this part of Yorkshire. Far to much agriculture to trust our streams sadly.

I might have to look at a Honey Stove again, it'd slip easily into my bag and go with my crusader/'58 bottle well for bimbles. Trouble is, before I know it I'll have a Trangia burner and bottle of meths too. Maybe I need a way to attach my respirator bag to my trusty Dart 35 for those overnighters. Ho hum! Thanks for provoking such thoughts Phil. :)

Oh, in case others are interested, my brews are Green Tea or hot chocolate sachets, saves on taking milk. Regarding the other matter raised earlier, burn waste bog-roll!

Cheers,

Al

Tony1948
14-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Set light to it,just make shore you'r not still sitting there Befor you berry your enrry bern it:campfire::happy-clapping:

kabishka
14-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the advice and the link guys :)

jus_young
14-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Leave it in the hole with the @@@@! If the hole is not too deep then nature will take care of it in no time at all.

Welcome to the forum by the way, why not introduce yourself on the 'introduce yourself' thread.

If burning is not an option, I use toilet paper for chemical toilets, it dissolves in water/moist soil very quickly - if the soil is dry, I pour water on from my canteen.

In rocky/sandy areas, I will pack the paper out in leakproof bags. Not the most appealing option, but neither is it appealing to find ones view spoiled by other people's "toilet tissue flowers" scattered around the landscape.

Common myths:
-Normal toilet paper and human waste wil dissolve quickly in moist soil. Wrong; studies show that even in very nutrient rich soul, both paper and human waste take years to decompose.
-If you dig your cathole shallow enough, decomposing will happen faster. Not really; the depht of the hole makes little difference. And, if the hole is too shallow, the contents will be unearthed by foxes, dogs or other animals, scattering it over the immediate area.

www.lnt.org

You take advice from people who should know (i.e. on a course I paid for!) and they give you c**p advice. Thanks for cleariing that one up for me Jakob. Common sense really, should know better.

Martin
14-12-2011, 11:59 PM
I vote for burn too. The 'organic' waste will be eaten by the slugs but the paper needs to be helped along. Of course, it's important to consider the fire risk to the surrounding area.

Martin

Roadkillphil
15-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I vote for burn too. The 'organic' waste will be eaten by the slugs but the paper needs to be helped along. Of course, it's important to consider the fire risk to the surrounding area.

Martin

Haha! Slugs love the taste of poo eh!! When I'm out and about I quite often see a slug tucking into a dogt*rd!!
As for paper, slugs eat that too, I left a fiver in an envelope for the window cleaner and in the mornin the envelope was half eaton ( ;) ) by a slug that was sat on the fiver poking out giving me a "what?" kind of look.... And they get into the temple as well and eat all the covers off my books!! Monkeys.
So I reckon the mix of bogroll and the stuff it's smeared with would be a veritable feast for the wee slimy monkeys.....

Can't believe how massively off topic this thread has gone... Conversation always ends up talkin about sh** eh!!!! :D

Martin
15-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Haha!........Can't believe how massively off topic this thread has gone... Conversation always ends up talkin about sh** eh!!!! :D

Not necessarily talking about it eh? ;)

Martin

Drew
20-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Common myths:

www.lnt.org

Whilst I'm sure you are right there is more going on in the soil than just decomposition. Worms will gradually reduce human waste and paper down to a fine humus, bacteria and fungi also work on the material.
We have wormery type composting toilets at work that after a year leave nothing but lovely compost, even when in use there is little smell. What is important is not too much liquid and plenty of air.

Roadkillphil
20-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't beat about the bush, I lay a bar-mine on a slab of bark, then leave it in the sun with the soiled bogroll. After a coupla days I crumble the sundried log into my tinder tin..... Takes a spark well, and the bogroll gets things moving ready to add some kindling.... Hope I'm not the only one into recycling ;)

Martin
20-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't beat about the bush, I lay a bar-mine on a slab of bark, then leave it in the sun with the soiled bogroll. After a coupla days I crumble the sundried log into my tinder tin..... Takes a spark well, and the bogroll gets things moving ready to add some kindling.... Hope I'm not the only one into recycling ;)

I think I'm going to be sick!! :(

Martin

jus_young
20-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I had to go back a couple of posts to find out what the hell he was talking about, wish I hadn't :(

Metal mug
20-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I had to go back a couple of posts to find out what the hell he was talking about, wish I hadn't :(Seconded. :D

Ben Casey
20-12-2011, 08:35 PM

You never forget your training do you :D

Roadkillphil
20-12-2011, 09:35 PM
You never forget your training do you :D

Hahahahaha!!!! Good substitute for cam cream.... Comes in different shades!?!? :D
In all seriousness though I just dig hole and backfill. I can't remember ever coming across soiled bogroll blowing round anywhere I've visited. In fact the only unwanted poo experiences I get are when dog owners (not meant to be a label, as I have 2 dogs of my own) collect up their best friends mess in a handy plastic nappy sack then throw it into a bush where it hangs proudly for all to see!!!
There was also that time when I'd been surfing and stood in a great pile on my way back to the van.... Between my toes an all :Shudder: :(
The only time I've ever run into human kak is in towns and cities oddly enough....

Ben Casey
20-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Hahahahaha!!!! Good substitute for cam cream.... Comes in different shades!?!? :D

There was loads of substitutes LOL I hate it when I do get out for a walk tho and see the plastic bags hanging in the tress :(

But back to the thread quick Martin might see me of topic again :D I'm still working on my brew kit it is far to much but I love my cuppas :)

Roadkillphil
21-12-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm seriously considering adding a water bottle pouch for those days when there is no fresh water to forage, or for when I'm staying out, set up camp and then go for a wander.... It'll end up lookin like a full set of webbing soon!

Smith
24-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm seriously considering adding a water bottle pouch for those days when there is no fresh water to forage, or for when I'm staying out, set up camp and then go for a wander.... It'll end up lookin like a full set of webbing soon!

Thanks for the info Phil, I found it very interesting to see. I have a VERY similar setup, but have recently had my Response Pak fail on me totally so after some thought pulled the trigger on a maxpedition equivalent - and I wouldn't change it for the world. For AGES my setup was a Snugpak Response pack for bits and bobs and a Maxpedition 10x4 bottle holder as a water, bottle, cup, brews pouch. It is pricey, but I tend to put my kit through hell and my bottle holder, which is well used, still looks almost new. Just the two together, hip pack and bottle holder around a shoulder strap doesn't look too "webbing" like.

I have a funny story on the disposing of the nasty stuff. I volunteered for Ashdown Forest conservators for a couple of years and one day we had to rush to an emergency fire call, which was pretty exciting in the middle of scrub clearance season. Long story short it ended up being a scout group that had tried to burn their TP after doing the deed. Their scout master had told them to do so but obviously not told them the more important point about fire safety on dry heaths.. Was pretty funny at the time, but it could have been a lot worse if the fire had spread and got out of control. Got me thinking that even scout masters aren't always masters of the wilderness..! :happy-clapping:

The only time I've ever run into human kak is in towns and cities oddly enough....
Chavs rarely venture into the countryside.

Juanodaxis
24-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Phil, I'm assuming that the bag you got is the large one, well, AFAIK there is a small one for about £13 in "I'm a zone" and a larger one for just under £20? I think. I wanted to get one of those for a BOB (Went trough the paranoia state of mind for some time) but now I see it like a good way to carry your essential kit for short stays, well, now you proved that to all of us LOL. Also, can you hang that like a bandolier? Over your head and under your arm?

jus_young
24-01-2012, 10:56 PM
If I may, to the best of my knowledge there is only one size

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=160-98&ItemID=126

I carry mine mostly as an over the shoulder job as I find having something around my waist uncomfortable when I have a belt and knife on.

Juanodaxis
24-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't get it, they look very much the same, but is a difference in price.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugpak-Response-OLIVE-GREEN-Multifunctional/dp/B001ADW58Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327446475&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SNUGPAK-RESPONSE-WAIST-TRAVEL-DOCUMENTS/dp/B0049FPY44/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1327446641&sr=1-4
And they are sold by the same people. They are 440 grams, and are made of the same material. Strange.

Smith
24-01-2012, 11:17 PM
There is a bigger size, I did quite a bit of reaserch before buying my Proteus so I found out a little bit about them. AFAIK Maxped were the first to make them, then other clones were made by companies like Snugpak, Highlander, Viper etc.

The Maxped Proteus is the one most people use and the clones of it - eg Snugpak Response Pak. Maxped do make a larger version of the same bum-bag type design, called the "Sabrecat". This has fewer clones, but still has some Chinese rip-offs. The quality and overall construction of these ones has been generally less well received and appears to be more shoddy as no major company has taken up the challenge. Random vid demo here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9oa6U4qt4) As someone who took the leap to the Proteus, I would say it's definitely worth the extra money, it will last and last and last.

Smith
24-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't get it, they look very much the same, but is a difference in price.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugpak-Response-OLIVE-GREEN-Multifunctional/dp/B001ADW58Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327446475&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SNUGPAK-RESPONSE-WAIST-TRAVEL-DOCUMENTS/dp/B0049FPY44/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1327446641&sr=1-4
And they are sold by the same people. They are 440 grams, and are made of the same material. Strange.

If you're buying outdoors stuff always cross reference prices with Heinnie Haynes (www.heinnie.com). They usually have the best prices and have free delivery (no connection etc..) Here's the link (http://www.heinnie.com/Snugpak-Response-Pak/p-0-0-2999/) for the response pak there. You can be assured they're selling the real deal. They have excellent customer service too, usually next day delivery, 2-3 days at most.

(disclaimer - don't blame me if this website leads you to ordering an insane amount of outdoor products which puts you in debt leading your partner to divorce you and throw you out of the house)

Roadkillphil
24-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the info Phil, I found it very interesting to see. I have a VERY similar setup, but have recently had my Response Pak fail on me totally so after some thought pulled the trigger on a maxpedition equivalent - and I wouldn't change it for the world. For AGES my setup was a Snugpak Response pack for bits and bobs and a Maxpedition 10x4 bottle holder as a water, bottle, cup, brews pouch. It is pricey, but I tend to put my kit through hell and my bottle holder, which is well used, still looks almost new. Just the two together, hip pack and bottle holder around a shoulder strap doesn't look too "webbing" like.

I'd be interested on seeing some pics of your rig and what kit you carry in it too. It would be really useful to other members too. Mostly my kit has evolved due to seeing what others carry, comparing it to my gear and upgrading/downsizing/adding stuff/ditching stuff that I dont use all that often.
I should be getting out for a wander in my local woods this weekend, so I'll get some pics as my "brew in the woods" kit has evolved again! :D

Thanks all for looking :D

jus_young
24-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Sorry, didn't look at your post and the manufacturer mentioned. My post is strictly refering to the originally metioned Snugpac responsepak. This is the one I use and purchased purely on price at the time but found it to be very usefull. I shudder when I see the prices for some of the other packs, never had any issues with it either :)

Juanodaxis
25-01-2012, 06:23 PM
If you're buying outdoors stuff always cross reference prices with Heinnie Haynes (www.heinnie.com). They usually have the best prices and have free delivery (no connection etc..) Here's the link (http://www.heinnie.com/Snugpak-Response-Pak/p-0-0-2999/) for the response pak there. You can be assured they're selling the real deal. They have excellent customer service too, usually next day delivery, 2-3 days at most.

(disclaimer - don't blame me if this website leads you to ordering an insane amount of outdoor products which puts you in debt leading your partner to divorce you and throw you out of the house)
Thanks for the link. I been having a look at it before, but did not realize that is delivery free to the UK, that's great. Now, about the disclamer... kind of a problem that is, but I can contain my self, I think.

Smith
25-01-2012, 06:35 PM
I'd be interested on seeing some pics of your rig and what kit you carry in it too. It would be really useful to other members too. Mostly my kit has evolved due to seeing what others carry, comparing it to my gear and upgrading/downsizing/adding stuff/ditching stuff that I dont use all that often.
I should be getting out for a wander in my local woods this weekend, so I'll get some pics as my "brew in the woods" kit has evolved again! :D

Thanks all for looking :D
Totally agree. I'm going to be getting out on Friday so I'll try and take some piccys then if it's not too wet! I love evolving my kit, and making it more perfect for me, gives me a huge buzz when I get little mods or customisations just right!

Roadkillphil
22-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Sooooo, Since the Cornwall RV I've refined my day out bag. Matt kindly preserved a fox tail for me and I wanted a suitable bag to attach it to.... snugpak response pak + foxtail? Errrrr no, not really.
So having chatted with Martin about a great many things over a bit of hammock suspension rigging, he kindly donated a leather and canvas satchel to me which is perfect for the job. :D
So Here's a pic of whats in it :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7247/7103564185_f0d09a87ed.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/7103564185/)
Foxtail bag (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/7103564185/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

So, down the left hand side we have my whitebox stove, meths n windshield. My Optimus Terra kettle and one of those crap, but not so crap folding cups.

On the bag my Svord Peasant knife, firesteel, mayastick (as per Ade's mod, cheers fella!) and my carvin' jack. Also food for free and a lightweight emergency poncho.

Brew kit and munchables is obvious. I take tea,choc and coffe as I never know what I'm in the mood for. Got my wood spirit spoon too... this lot (apart from munchables) all fits inside the kettle and the kettle n stove all slot into the mesh bag nicely.

Also I have amy blue flame lighter, petzl elite, some paracord and a spork. And I managed to forget the waterbottle from the pic. It's a slim bottle that holds 0.6L.... here tiz

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7103611771_ba0f4634fa.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/7103611771/)
Slim bottle (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7904270@N07/7103611771/) by roadkillphil (http://www.flickr.com/people/7904270@N07/), on Flickr

Depending on where I'm goin I may add my milbank bag or my honey stove and mebbe even a pasty (veg not stehk!!!)

Also not on show is my folding kneel/sit mat which is slotted in the back, er, slot of the satchel.

Thanks for looking and also thanks to those folks that know who they are ;) for the kind gifts and also the inspiration for my choice of gear.

Cheers

Phil

jus_young
22-04-2012, 11:04 PM
See you are carrying a little less now. Bought that 'food for free' book myself the other day and what a handy liitle thing it is. I also like your sample bottles used for tea and sugar, bleedin' good idea that.

AL...
22-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Nice kit Phil
Can I ask ye where you got the food for free book mate?

Cheers
AL

Juanodaxis
23-04-2012, 01:11 AM
You know, I may start going out to the woods by here just for a cuppa and a read. That sounds like a good idea. Nice set up mate.
EDIT
@ Al, I got mine from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Gem-Food-For-Free/dp/0007183038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335139948&sr=8-1

Roadkillphil
23-04-2012, 06:11 AM
Nice kit Phil
Can I ask ye where you got the food for free book mate?

Cheers
AL

My kids got it for my birthday last year as well as a Collins gem tree ID book too. I'm sure if ya google it, you'll find several stockists.

Cheers

Phil

Roadkillphil
23-04-2012, 06:13 AM
I also like your sample bottles used for tea and sugar, bleedin' good idea that.

Cheers bud, perfect for the job, as long as they're not used!!!!
8o

Kernowek Scouser
23-04-2012, 01:43 PM
That is a nice little set up you have there Phil, I also think the specimen bottles for your brew is a cracking idea.

As the Carvin' Jack is in your updated pack, you must obviously rate it as a handy piece of kit. Being a fledgling wood carver, I'd be very interested to know your thoughts on how it compares with using individual wood carving knives e.g. it is handy for a spot of impromptu whittling when out and about and perfectly compliments other wood carving knives you have at home or could it genuinely be the only wood carving tool you would need.

It is a bit rich for my wallet and I've already ordered a couple of knives to practice my woodcarving, so I'm not in the market for a Carvin' Jack myself, I'm just curious as to how useful you think it actually is.

Cheers,

Colin