PDA

View Full Version : Waterwalker - Bill Mason on his Journey by Canoe

Ashley Cawley
08-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I've just posted a 1984 feature-length documentary to the frontpage, and you can find it here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/resources/waterwalker-bill-mason-on-his-journey-by-canoe.html).

... documentary follows naturalist Bill Mason on his journey by canoe into the Ontario wilderness. The filmmaker and artist begins on Lake Superior, then explores winding and sometimes tortuous river waters to the meadowlands of the river's source. Along the way, Mason paints scenes that capture his attention and muses about his love of the canoe, his artwork and his own sense of the land. Mason also uses the film as a commentary on the link between God and nature and the vast array of beautiful canvases God created for him to paint. Features breathtaking visuals and exciting whitewater footage, with a musical score by Bruce Cockburn.

If you've got any comments on the documentary please post them here.

Shewie
08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
A classic, I never get tired of watching this one

Ashley Cawley
08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
A classic, I never get tired of watching this one
Lovely ain't it? :)

What do you think to the scene half-way through where he capsizes and swims ashore? You think that was setup?

Shewie
08-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Lovely ain't it? :)

What do you think to the scene half-way through where he capsizes and swims ashore? You think that was setup?

I read somewhere once that it was supposed to happen but he got caught out by the rip tide and nearly didn't make it. It seems to go on forever doesn't it, it looks like he was ready for giving up when he started getting pushed out again.

Ashley Cawley
09-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I read somewhere once that it was supposed to happen but he got caught out by the rip tide and nearly didn't make it. It seems to go on forever doesn't it, it looks like he was ready for giving up when he started getting pushed out again.
Yeah! I worried for him for most of it as I thought it was a legit accident but then when he came ashore I noticed it cut conveniently to a camera in the waves with him... it did cross my mind that little scene could have been a renactment afterwards, but then he was filmed from below the cliffs as he ran across the top & all his kit came back ashore just fine.

Still doesn't detract from the video being enjoyable :)

Groundhog
14-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Excellent video I'm so jealous i wonder if you can get prints of his paintings He's had a well spent life by the look of it.