PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow's

Kieran
08-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Why are you not allowed to hunt with them? :S

:campfire:
:camping:

This really interests me, please reply guys.

Thanks.

luresalive
08-12-2010, 05:15 PM
A lot of yobs were recklessly killing swans and domestic pets in the 80's with them, was easier to ban them than legislate, typical governmental knee jerk reaction....

Bambii
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
My dad had a crossbow had to get rid of it though, used to go through 2x4's.

So much fun.

MikeWilkinson
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Crossbows come under the same banner as Bows in that in the wildlife and countryside act 1981 sections 5 and 11 make it illegal for the taking of animals or wild birds.
It was originally banned in the 1960's due to poachers hunting deer in some urban areas, and people shooting and killing local dogs and cats, pretty much anyone could buy one, and they are a silent but deadly weapon.
I think the 1981 act was enabled due to the high numbers of animals suffering due to poor shots, At least with shot guns and rifles there is some regulation in who can shoot and when.

Technically any hunting or trapping method that causes suffering to an animal or wild bird is illegal under the 1981 act - this includes the use of snares (in particular self locking ones).

Annoys the hell out of me... ... Were not allowed to do much of anything in the u.k./Europe

fish
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
it is still one of the most unregulate weapons we can still freely buy,i have a nice wildcat,often fired in anger....

Ashley Cawley
14-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Technically any hunting or trapping method that causes suffering to an animal or wild bird is illegal under the 1981 act - this includes the use of snares (in particular self locking ones).

Annoys the hell out of me...
RE Snares; the way I was taught about snares.. (please correct me if I'm wrong).. when snaring (with the landowners permission) your allowed to use a snare that is loose and dosen't have a spring-loaded mechanism or trigger which will pull the noose tight around the animal, yet you are allowed to use a free hanging noose with no sprung mechanism creating tension.

Also RE hunting with crossbows & bows, I was told that these weapons were classed (by our UK law) as too inaccurate of a weapon to hunt with.

CanadianMike
14-12-2010, 05:18 PM
They are fully legal in Canada, much to the point a murder occured a few weeks ago in Toronto (where only criminals are allowed to own guns), a guy shot his highly abusive father in a public library with a crossbow............ as you can see, in typical polite Canadian tradition, he respected the noise rules of the library. ;)

Metal mug
14-12-2010, 07:08 PM
They are fully legal in Canada, much to the point a murder occured a few weeks ago in Toronto (where only criminals are allowed to own guns), a guy shot his highly abusive father in a public library with a crossbow............ as you can see, in typical polite Canadian tradition, he respected the noise rules of the library. ;) It's nice that people are still considerate these days.

Kieran
15-12-2010, 08:25 AM
They are fully legal in Canada, much to the point a murder occured a few weeks ago in Toronto (where only criminals are allowed to own guns), a guy shot his highly abusive father in a public library with a crossbow............ as you can see, in typical polite Canadian tradition, he respected the noise rules of the library. ;)

Why are only criminals allowed guns?
That's weird :/

luresalive
15-12-2010, 08:33 AM
AS yet snares are NOT illegal, as long as they do not lock around the quarry's throat but mearly hold it in position..also they must be checked at least once every 24hrs.

CanadianMike
15-12-2010, 12:45 PM
It's a joke. The former mayor of Toronto wanted to ban guns from his city because he didn't want to go after the criminals who use the guns for gang violence, and saw law abiding gun owners as the problem, thinking that most guns used in shootings were stolen from their homes.

MikeWilkinson
16-12-2010, 02:34 PM
I was not trying to say that the use of snares was Illegal, just that if there use results in any un-necessary suffering then they are.

Extract from the W&C Act 1981:-

[11 Prohibition of certain methods of killing or taking wild animals. E+W(1)
Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person—
(a)sets in position any self-locking snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith;
(b)uses for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal any self-locking snare, whether or not of such a nature or so placed as aforesaid, any bow or cross-bow or any explosive other than ammunition for a firearm; F97 . . .
(c)uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any wild animal, any live mammal or bird whatever, [F98 ; or
(d)knowingly causes or permits to be done an act which is mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this section,]
he shall be guilty of an offence.
(2)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person—
(a)sets in position any of the following articles, being an article which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal included in Schedule 6 which comes into contact therewith, that is to say, any trap or snare, any electrical device for killing or stunning or any poisonous, poisoned or stupefying substance;
(b)uses for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal any such article as aforesaid, whether or not of such a nature and so placed as aforesaid, or any net;
(c)uses for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal—
(i)any automatic or semi-automatic weapon;
(ii)any device for illuminating a target or sighting device for night shooting;
(iii)any form of artificial light or any mirror or other dazzling device; or
(iv)any gas or smoke not falling within paragraphs (a) and (b);
(d)uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal, any sound recording; F100 . . .
(e)uses any mechanically propelled vehicle in immediate pursuit of any such wild animal for the purpose of driving, killing or taking that animal, [F101 ; or
(f)knowingly causes or permits to be done an act which is mentioned in the foregoing provisions of this subsection,]
(3)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person—
(a)sets in position [F107or knowingly causes or permits to be set in position] any snare which is of such a nature and so placed as to be calculated to cause bodily injury to any wild animal coming into contact therewith; and
(b)while the snare remains in position fails, without reasonable excuse, to inspect it, or cause it to be inspected, at least once every day,
(4)The Secretary of State may, for the purpose of complying with an international obligation, by order, either generally or in relation to any kind of wild animal specified in the order, amend subsection (1) or (2) by adding any method of killing or taking wild animals or by omitting any such method as is mentioned in that subsection.
(5)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1)(b) or (c) or (2)(b), (c), (d) or (e), [F105and in any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1)(d) or (2)(f) relating to an act which is mentioned in any of those paragraphs] the animal in question shall be presumed to have been a wild animal unless the contrary is shown.
(6)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (2)(a) it shall be a defence to show that the article was set in position by the accused for the purpose of killing or taking, in the interests of public health, agriculture, forestry, fisheries or nature conservation, any wild animals which could be lawfully killed or taken by those means and that he took all reasonable precautions to prevent injury thereby to any wild animals included in Schedule 6.
[F106(7)In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (2)(f) relating to an act which is mentioned in subsection (2)(a) it shall be a defence to show that the article was set in position for the purpose of killing or taking, in the interests of public health, agriculture, forestry, fisheries or nature conservation, any wild animals which could be lawfully killed or taken by those means and that he took or caused to be taken all reasonable precautions to prevent injury thereby to any wild animals included in Schedule 6.]

So If you fail to check your snares, do not set them correctly or use self-locking snares, then you have committed a crime under this act.

mahikan
24-12-2010, 05:23 PM
It is quite sad that the Uk is so restrictive in its hunting regulations, I am so happy that I live in a country that views Hunting and trapping in a different light.
I mainly hunt with a rifle but occasionally hunt with my crossbow, it is highly accurate to 25m and very accurate up to 45m.
When hunting deer I try to only shoot at ranges of 25m - 30m which I find to be its optimum range for a good kill. Beyond that the animal you are hunting may jump the string, that is to say it will duck or leap when it hears the noise of the crossbow string when it is fired. The crossbow (a recurve model made by Excalibur) is powerful enough to put the bolt fired straight through the animal.

Fletching
26-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone know anything about hunting in Scandinavia?

Aaron Rushton
26-12-2010, 06:40 PM
i was under the impression that crossbows and bows were banned because they were so quiet it was very easy for poachers to take deer with them. although a moderated rifle is very quiet nowadays so not much point in banning them. they are very powerful and accurate and in wide use in the states.

JEEP
26-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Anyone know anything about hunting in Scandinavia?

Though I do not have a hunting licence, I have worked in hunting-/outdoor stores for the last three years. Is there anything in particular you would like to know about? I know most about the rules in Denmark, but I know that they are quite similar in Sweden and Norway.

In short:
-Any kind of hunting in Denmark requires a licence (which requires taking a course and passing an exam), hunting with a rifle requires a special permit (which requires taking a test)
-Your hunting licence allows you to buy and own as many shotguns as you wish (any shotgun with a capacity above two shots is illegal), you need to get a permit for each rifle you buy (semi-automatic rifles are only allowed under certain circumstances)
-Animals from the size of roe deer and smaller can be legally hunted with shotgun (though most hunters frown upon shooting roe deer with a shotgun)
-Smaller pests, such as rats, dows, crows, etc. can be hunted/regulated with airguns, with a minimum velocity of 200 m/sec and a minimum caliber of 5.5 mm (.22), doing so requires a hunting licence and a special permit to regulate in a specific area
-A permit for hunting with bow and arrow is obtainable (a special test is required, a much harder one than the rifle test)
-Permits for hunting with crossbow (illegal to own), slingshots (also illegal to possess) and sligs (may be illegal, depends on who you ask) cannot be obtained
-Snares and traps of any kind are illegal
-You can hunt from sunset to sundown (I believe that night hunting is allowed in Sweden, under some circumstances)
-No electronic devices (lights (mounted on the weapon), electronic game calls, etc.) must be used while hunting in Denmark, except from illuminated scopes and electronic rangefinders
-Silencers of any kind are highly illegal in Denmark
-Steelshot are allowed for hunting on open water and in open terrain, for hunting in forest only bishmut, tungsten and tinshot are allowed
-The rules for where, when and what you are allowed to hunt are ever changing, does not always appear to be based on logic and often makes it impossible for you to actuallly hunt on a specific piece of land, be it on others or your own private property, especially if you do not own a dog

AlexHeyes
03-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Crossbows or normal Compound or Recurve etc... are banned as the arrow (or bolt on a crossbow) does not meet the Speed or Projectile weight permitted in the UK to shoot deer. In the UK you must use a cailbre above .243 to shoot deer. Here a short video about bowhunting and the rule that govern it. http://www.youtube.com/user/fieldsportschannel#p/u/87/7yviR_vYdZc

swkieran
03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
surely if youre out in the wilderness nobody is goona really know youve shot a rabbit with a xbow,no difference from hitting it with a pellet or a high speed dart aslong as you eat it or use the fur or even both, like the hunting with dogs law they bought in a few years ago put a blanket ban on everything i.e lamping with lurchers,or hair coursing with greyhounds,yet you can buy a terrier and set it loose on rats lol

AlexHeyes
04-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm sure your point is valid but there are alternate legal options... "In the wilderness" is a lose term, what you view as wilderness maybe is public or private property if you are stopped even if they have not seen you shoot a rabbit the police would see it as possesion of a deadly weapon as hunting with it is illegal, they will see no other reason for you have such a weapon. The hunting community get alot of stick form Government and it is vital that people stick to the law to aviod repeats of the hunting act which will only make it harder.

You are right, Coursing does go on and the majority of those prosecuted under the hunting act were convicted of coursing. The ratting terrier is proberbly because in the eyes' of the Government a rat is obviously a pest unlike the poor innocent (tasty) rabbit.

Finally hunting requires permission when not your own land so by hunting rabbit with a crossbow your are also poaching.

You have more to lose than you have to gain risking a criminal record ... or prison if they persue the Possesion of a deadly weapon

From personal experience when hunting totally legally with permission in jeans, t-shirt with my over and under I was reported hunting in head to toe camouflage, balaclava and machine gun. The Public have a great imagination and although the landowner knew the lady was exagerating but it is an example of the impression you put across and how the public will distort when they witness somting the don't understand.

rondda
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I own a armex jaguar 175 lb crossbow and i'v had to make custum target for it, because if i use wood it bends the arrows (that are not cheap) and anything softer and it goes strait through, so i made a 3' by 3' wooden frame and bolted 10 squares of thick carpet to it so it stops the arrow without bending them.
while carrying all this no more than 10 yards from the car to a friends field a passer by phoned the police, but the copper could see i was just target shooting, but it goes to show how the public view crossbows.

Tony1948
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
If you want any of the above,Bows, Xbows,Shotguns,Blackpowder guns or rifle,shot or Long or short Kentuckys join a club. Then you,v got an excuse to have one of the above on your person, and have it at home.In the past I have found this to be a god send in a tight spot.Show club membership and baffal them with science,with a bit of lukeyou can get away with a lot. When I started shootting a shotgun Licence was about 7/6 how many of you lot now want that was.

AlexHeyes
04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
internet unaware of the potential damage it can cause but If you want to be good and safe at using and bows, crossbows, rifles, air rifles etc... you will be better for it and find a group of expirenced people.

Just cause you want to do somthing does not meen it should be done. The Crossbow is an effective hunting tool as proved by our american cousins but its illegal and by going against law you further the chance of greater regulation.

The Archery (includes crossbows) community is one I joined recently when I bought my first compound bow, If cross bows are an intrest head to your local archery outfitters they will help you out. UK lawmaker with all the expert knowledge (yer ha) has deemed it unacceptable and it is life

fish
04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
whilst i would be the last one to condone braking the law ,the WCS act is darn near unenforcable ,the nations police forces are to 'shrink' by 24% over the next 4 years,even now they cant deal with real crimes that actually affect people let alone a chap getting a free meal and not harming anyone. Abraham lincoln said an unfair law is no law at all.

AlexHeyes
05-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Very true government in the last twenty years havn't legislated against crimanals they have just restricted what the average citizen can do. Your average PC plod does not now a thing about the laws involving hunting.