PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes and wolves

treefrog
15-12-2011, 02:57 AM
I was out in the bush today and I heard a pack of coyotes barking up a storm pretty close to me. I'm thinking 500m or less; close enough I could pick
out individual voices. I walked in the direction the sounds were coming from but saw nothing; trying to pinpoint their whereabouts in thousands of
hectares of bush is pretty much impossible. I assumed they were coyotes and not wolves, since there were no proper long howls coming out of them,
so tonight I did some reading up on the subject and found that apparently most coyotes in Ontario are actually coyote-wolf hybrids. Interesting.
I let out a big howl just for fun and they all clammed up right away...never heard them again for the rest of the afternoon.
Coyotes are nice but there's nothing quite like hearing that eerie timberwolf howl on a winter night. I hope I can get an audio of it this winter to share with you guys.
(That might require doing a winter camping trip:campfire:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oAaElViaU&feature=player_detailpage

JEEP
15-12-2011, 06:56 AM
It must be an awesome expereince!

Ben Casey
15-12-2011, 08:14 AM
I wish I could hear it all we get here is the workmen shouting :(

jbrown14
15-12-2011, 11:21 AM
There is something magical and musical about the howl of a Wolf. That's beautiful stuff!

My cousin and I turned back on a winter night hike once because of howls in the distance. He was convinced that it was Wolves, I was sure it was college frat boys partying at a nearby lake. Out of deference to his sensitivity, we spent the night in the car and resumed our hike in the morning. He still talks about the "Wolves" that we heard in the Adirondacks.

Josh

treefrog
15-12-2011, 11:41 AM
There is something magical and musical about the howl of a Wolf. That's beautiful stuff!

My cousin and I turned back on a winter night hike once because of howls in the distance. He was convinced that it was Wolves, I was sure it was college frat boys partying at a nearby lake. Out of deference to his sensitivity, we spent the night in the car and resumed our hike in the morning. He still talks about the "Wolves" that we heard in the Adirondacks.

Josh

I imagine there ARE plenty of wolves in the Adirondacks, but the chances of them giving you any trouble are pretty slim. Just for fun you should email your cousin
every wolf attack story you can find, then invite him on another camp-out.:D

JonnyP
15-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I let out a big howl just for fun and they all clammed up right away...

Haha.. I would of done the exact same thing if I could not of found them. I love to mimic the wildlife..
I would love to hear a pack of wolves giving it large, out in the wild. I do have a vid of a pack of huskies howling, when I was up in Northern Sweden a few years ago, and that was amazing to hear, but I bet that wasn't even as good to hear as the coyotes.. Will stick the vid up when we get our new router..

Dan XF
16-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I love the sound. My Huskies would howl when the phone rang. If I was off down the garden I knew the phone was ringing by the howling. I had to have my big male dog Diefenbaker put to sleep 2 weeks ago and my female hasn't made a sound since. It's fair to say that I lost my best bushcraft buddy that day.

jbrown14
16-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I imagine there ARE plenty of wolves in the Adirondacks, but the chances of them giving you any trouble are pretty slim. Just for fun you should email your cousin
every wolf attack story you can find, then invite him on another camp-out.:D

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time! Ha! :happy-clapping:

happybonzo
16-12-2011, 01:03 PM
There was video of hungry wolf cubs on TV recently and they were making pitiful sounds - turned out that some one had forgotten the tin opener at their annual camp