PDA

View Full Version : Making a Bullroarer

Ashley Cawley
15-12-2011, 02:51 PM
A bullroarer is an ancient ritual musical instrument which provides means of communicating over extended distances. You know.. the 'bush telephone' you saw Crocodile Dundee use (http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/crocodile-dundee-II/clip2/)! :p

I've had it on my mind for a few years now to have a go at making one of these but never got round to it. I remember look into them a few years back and I think it might be quite an art to get it sounding good.

So anyone made one or have experiences with them they'd like to share?

Ashley Cawley
15-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I get the feeling that this weekend myself and Phil *might* have a stab at making one see.

I was recently reminded of the Bullroarer after a recent episode where Phil and I visited the same woods on the same day but different times, he couldn't find me, he was shouting my name which I couldn't hear clearly and thought was dog-walkers calling after their pets!.. He should have known better and called our usual: "Yo Bear!" shame on him! lol... but that's what made me think of the bullroarer, there's no mistaking that and it's not a sound someone else in the woods will be making because only nutters spin wood on the end of a string at speed in the woods.

Ashley Cawley
15-12-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ

CanadianMike
15-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Lol, awesome video!!!

I remember my grandfather making me a bullroar when I was a kid, I thought it was pretty cool. Still do!

Roadkillphil
15-12-2011, 04:42 PM
A bullroarer is definitely on the cards this weekend :D After I finish the owlspoon :D

Martin
15-12-2011, 06:47 PM
And a yurt. ;)

Martin

Roadkillphil
15-12-2011, 07:10 PM
And a yurt. ;)

Martin

I didn't think you ate dairy anymore :p

Martin
15-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I didn't think you ate dairy anymore :p

No, I said I don't eat diary any more. I never liked dates. :p

Martin

rich290185
15-12-2011, 08:19 PM
lol great vid

AdrianRose
15-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I made a bull roarer for my daughter a couple of years ago.

I seem to remember that it didn't work too well initially because it was too thick. Once it was thinned down it was great.

Ade.

MikeWilkinson
15-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Have a look on Jon ridgeons site, he has detailed instructions on carving one on there. I might give it a go over xmas.

rich290185
15-12-2011, 10:11 PM
simples :D

Metal mug
16-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I've made one. Great for spooking people with. :D I think the trick is to use thick cordage and the roarer itself should be like a thin slat.

Ashley Cawley
18-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I've made one. Great for spooking people with. :D I think the trick is to use thick cordage and the roarer itself should be like a thin slat.That's odd - me and Phil did a lot of experimenting on the weekend and found the exact opposite was the case for us, we tried about 4 or 5 different cordages, all the thick ones would stop the bullroarer from spinning round and would not make a sound, I could then take the same bullroarer unmodified and put it on a thinner string and it would work great, depends on the weave of the cord aswell because the cord spins with the bullroar.

We learnt a lot about them on the weekend through experimenting over a couple of days, I'll put up a vid of me testing mine when I get a few mins.

Ashley Cawley
18-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't think the video does it's deep tones justice, sounds better in person I think but here goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8i33HjDAw

Ben Casey
18-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Thats cool Ash :)

Wham666
18-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Brilliant effort :)

JEEP
18-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Very cool T^

Ashley Cawley
30-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Phil and I have used our Bullroarers to communicate through the woodland and find one another, actually worked! :)

I should take some close-up shots of my bullroarer when I get a chance, it's still pretty rough at this stage.

Metal mug
30-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of mine. (It's about 17 inches long by two inches wide) 33833384

jus_young
30-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Does this qualify as a metal mug or are we having to diversify in the current economic climate :confused:

Roadkillphil
30-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Phil and I have used our Bullroarers to communicate through the woodland and find one another, actually worked! :)

I should take some close-up shots of my bullroarer when I get a chance, it's still pretty rough at this stage.

Haha! Yes! :D I was feeling pretty melancholy on my way to the woods. When I got there, I donned my back, pulled out my bullroarer and gave three roars.... When I heard a return roar from Ash, I grinned a big grin and headed on in. Within half hour of getting in the woods my spirits where lifted and the day was good :D

We need to sort out a communication method too I reckon :)

My bullroarer is a WiP, it works ok, but I still need to add the decorative carving and mebbe some staining too. I'll post some pics soon...

Cheers

Phil

Metal mug
31-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Does this qualify as a metal mug or are we having to diversify in the current economic climate :confused:I was inspired by Adams current avatar. :)

Ashley Cawley
31-12-2011, 11:56 AM
We should probably point out that the handles we devised for the cord made a massive difference, without it the friction pretty much ripped your fingers apart, I blistered up on the first day of us experimenting with them. I'll post up some pics sometime.

Roadkillphil
31-12-2011, 12:17 PM
We should probably point out that the handles we devised for the cord made a massive difference, without it the friction pretty much ripped your fingers apart, I blistered up on the first day of us experimenting with them. I'll post up some pics sometime.

I thought the blisters were from that crap cup you're supposed to be reviewing!!!! :p