PDA

View Full Version : knife handle material

paulthefish2009
16-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Just finished my first knife(well the blade!) now i just need to add a handle of some sort, did think at first of using oak but know i've started thinking about alternatives, thought may be useing cork shives like fishing rod butts or sheet cork(floor tiles). just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this? The blade is a drop point 80mm long(i will post pictures once it's finished) Should i stay with tradition and use hard wood or is there another way? Don't fancy useing anything thats not natural so that sort of rules out micarta etc. Thoughts gents?

dave budd
16-12-2011, 10:47 PM
is it stick or full tang?

If it's a stick tang then using sheet cork can work, if a little prone to chipping. If full tang then not a chance. Nothing wrong with a bit of oak. It looks good, is warm and gives good grip too. And before some armchair expert comes up with the old "oka reacts with steel and makes it rust" nonsense, the epoxy that you stick it together with forms a hermetic seal between the two ;)

jus_young
16-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Daves back! Did the PC survive?

dave budd
16-12-2011, 11:02 PM
sort of. :mad: I managed to get one of the many anti virus jobbies thatI tried to get rid of (?) the nasty that was taking over, but currently I have a "run dll2 error when I turn it on, I think it's a relative to the Run D MC that was a priblem a couple of decades ago, but I'm trying ot fix it anyway. I've tried in vain to get the systen sweepy thingy that Ash suggested to work and I'm now workng through another kill-all from McAfee.

I had to go to work yesterday morning and not come back until this evening. After a week of poop I needed to get shot of things that requir microchips (et al) to function and use machines that work when you hit them! :guns: