PDA

View Full Version : Just a Question and Idea

shadowhound
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi im knew here and have loved bushcraft all my life. i remember building a big hut shelter which took about 5 hours only for someone to burn it down :(

i know living in a normal house these days has benefits and disadvantges but what i was wondering is there anywhere in the world you can go and live without having to buy a property and live in the wilderness,build yourself a hut with a small farm for growing, a fence and just enjoying life, catching fish

i know it all sounds caveman type of living but truth be told how nice would life be without worrying when the next bill is going to come though the door or if your gas is going to run out

for a few years now i have looked for a place in the world i can just go and live, build a hut and live there without worrying about people disturbing me or like theres tribes close by who live in huts but arn't canibals.

i would just love to leave the job behind, modern living, just go and live without worrying about money, just live using the skills learnt from bushcrafting

jus_young
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Now there is THE question! Living without bills :)

:welcome: to the forum and what a question to start with. Unfortunately I don't have the answer :D

Ben Casey
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi There from me :) The reply to your question is a hard one :D

Tony1948
02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
:welcome:shadowhound to the forum.There are plenty of place'es in the world that you can go and live in isolation,but if you need to ask wair they are you would'ent make it.You cant live on just fish or meat you'll need a balance diet:confused2::campfire:Have a look on utube under wilderness living,we have disjust it a cupale of times on hear.I think you'll ave a few guys telling you how.Atb..............DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS..........TONY.:rock-on:

Martin
02-01-2012, 07:58 PM
WTF?? Canibals?? Are you being serious?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Martin

Roadkillphil
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Hmmmmm, a lot of folks have that dream I reckon.... Hello and welcome mr shadowhound. Don't get Eaton by the Canibals ;)

Saxon
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Your dream is the dream of millions Shadowhound, the more 'developed' the country, the more dreamers there are living in it..:) Find a place in the world that you describe and many of the people living there (not all) are dreaming of living in a house with running water and working and earning wages, so that don't have to fish for their food, but just nip down to Tesco..:)

It's the nature of man and the secret is to find somewhere between. Ever thought of the aid abroad programmes? They are often looking for volunteers. You can have a taste of the world that way, low wages, basic conditions and a look at life where a litre of clean water is something to cherish..:)

Here's one for you Martin..http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=german%20sailor%20cannibals&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fworld%2Fsouth-pacific%2F5810832%2FCannibal-claim-strikes-chord-with-Kiwi&ei=zSICT8acDJG2hAeo5NCWDg&usg=AFQjCNFv6DjEpne2VxnsVroa8ds49CsC-g&cad=rja...:D Heard about it from some other voyagers..:D

shadowhound
02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
thanks for all your kind answers guy and girls :), but i have heard in some countrys there are still canibal tribes which still exsist. i am currently in the UK :), ive been on the program where you work in america teaching, helping others camp america it was called and i absolutly loved it :)

when you see things like crocodile dundee, shipwrecked then it gets the imagnation going :)

truth is i know it would take more than just fishing because humans need a diet of everything :). but you peeps are right finding the right place in the world is hard

malayisa come to mind a few months back, overgrown forests, golden beaches, good supply of fruit trees.

thats the only decent one so far :)

treefrog
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Good luck with that, my friend. I personally like the tradeoff of being a part of society, but I also see your point. I love escaping to
the hunt camp for a few days here and there throughout the year just to get away from it all.
Something along the lines of your idea is the trapper's life. This month I'll be renewing my trapper's licence with the plan to get back on the trapline
next winter. I live in relatively populous eastern Ontario where traplines are small and often partly or wholly on private lands. But one does have the
option of applying for a crown land area in Northern Ontario (or other provinces too). Lots of trappers work 8 months of the year at regular jobs
then head to the bush for 4 months every winter. You are given so many square kilometers of bush (1000 isn't uncommon) and a quota of pelts to
fill. It's endless hard work and cold but very rewarding, especially if you appreciate the serenity of the wilderness and living rough.
I'll blog the adventures of my tiny little southern trapline next winter if all goes as planned!

Jack

Saxon
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Good luck to you Shadowhound, you hang onto your dream it's not impossible, just not that easy. That link I posted was about a German sailor who disappeared in the Pacific and some bones identified as his were later found in a camp fire site on one of the Polynesian Islands. At one time as I'm sure you know those folk were partial to 'Long Pig' but what the result of that strange find was I'm not sure.

shadowhound
02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
wow sounds awesome treefrog, i have never heard of a trappers license before :D

Saxon i have just been reading that it was pretty cool, scary to think it still happends in this day and age. i live close to St helens but finding a good forest spot without people comming by is hard these days :(. i am gonna try and get started local so i can pratice, hopfully build a small shelter and hopefully no one burns it down :)

treefrog
02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
That story about the German sailor is tragically fascinating. Reminds me of the Michael Rockefeller mystery; I'm still waiting for him to
walk out of the jungle after 50 years.

Bushwhacker
03-01-2012, 08:06 AM
To bring it into perspective, what happens when you contract a life-threatening illness? Is it ok to sneak back into civilisation expecting free medical assistance?

Edwin
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
One way is to think of onboard boat living. Cruise to where you want and can, drop anchor and enjoy the life until officialdom finds you then move on. To possess a portable skill to exchange for cash to live is an asset of course although technology allows home working in very remote spots. You would lose the intimacy of getting to know one area of woodland intimately over years though.

cuppa joe
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
The closest thing I could think of is a plot of land in the highlands of Scotland ...try for a plot out of sight of a road ...put in a septic tank buy a small wind turbine ,an old static caravan....make a gas bottle wood burning stove add a water tank for hot water....plant your own veggies.....scavenge for wood....go fishing....it will cost you ....but its a goal...if you could get a plot on the coast...there may be planning issues but I see others doing it and they have lived here for years.

tadpole
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Try and find “Ice pilots” on YouTube, it’s about Alaska, If’n I remember rightly in one programme they visit a chap whose lived “in country” for 50 years, only leaving twice a year or so. As remote as you like with hunting and shooting fishing and no neighbours for 200 miles, but even then he has access to modern amenities, such as Ice pilots, and hospitals.

Saxon
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
One way is to think of onboard boat living. Cruise to where you want and can, drop anchor and enjoy the life until officialdom finds you then move on. To possess a portable skill to exchange for cash to live is an asset of course although technology allows home working in very remote spots. You would lose the intimacy of getting to know one area of woodland intimately over years though.

Ha! Close..I've been wandering, living aboard for 16 years now, since my wife died. Caribbean and Mediterrean and round our own coast. I'm retired on a service pension so life is not luxurious but I'm free. I have a piece of isolated woodland where I spend a lot of time when I return from a voyage, so I am content not to own much in the way of belongings but I have what I need. That's one good thing about living on a 32 foot sea going yacht, you can't fill it up with junk..:D :D

Silverback
03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Try and find “Ice pilots” on YouTube, it’s about Alaska, If’n I remember rightly in one programme they visit a chap whose lived “in country” for 50 years, only leaving twice a year or so. As remote as you like with hunting and shooting fishing and no neighbours for 200 miles, but even then he has access to modern amenities, such as Ice pilots, and hospitals.

Currently being shown on the Discovery Channel (sky and cable TV)

I saw recently a link to a site in the US that the US government is considering making it illegal to live 'off grid'. They prefer to keep an eye on us you know.

Silverback
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
To bring it into perspective, what happens when you contract a life-threatening illness? Is it ok to sneak back into civilisation expecting free medical assistance?

Why not ? Many if not all of us have contributed to the NHS whilst living 'on grid'.
Then again some of us may even have the necessary skills, equipment and wherewithall to deal with 'some' of those life threats.

Edwin
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
The dream Saxon, can't wait to read the book please.

Saxon
03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
The dream Saxon, can't wait to read the book please.

Book? Ha! They would never believe I've sailed through white Rainbows...;) ;)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/highandry_photos/HG%20Forum%20photos/lacorunacopy026.jpg..http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/highandry_photos/HG%20Forum%20photos/lacorunacopy025.jpg

Juanodaxis
19-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Living on your own away from the modern society, sounds nice, but really hard to do and extremely dangerous too.
I actually have come with a little dream, the dream already mention in this topic, self reliance. I also believe that with the economy as is going nowdays, is making people want that more and more. Having your own house, disconnected from the grid, with your own source of energy and water, and being able to either farm or hunt, or both. I can see that becoming quite popular.

Fletching
19-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Hone your bushcraft skills, learn how to deal with wood and water and how to make electricity (for comms), learn to hunt, learn about foraging and horticulture, learn field first aid, save up some money for a cast iron stove, a boiler, some solar panels and some decent tools, get a residence permit for Canada and get yourself a good dog. Find a nice bit of solitude, build a cabin and...like Tony says...don't get eaten by the bears.

Live long and die contented.

...just my tuppence worth.

:)

Fletching
19-01-2012, 02:07 AM
One way is to think of onboard boat living. Cruise to where you want and can, drop anchor and enjoy the life until officialdom finds you then move on. To possess a portable skill to exchange for cash to live is an asset of course...

...I've done that. It worked for me. Cabin next...

Steve :)

Under My Basha
24-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I was dreaming of this even looked into self sufficient communities but with children I don't think this in the long run would be good for them, and looking most of these communities end up abit 'animal farm' with people relying on others to do their bit.

Lovely thought tho -mick