PDA

View Full Version : Hobo Stove

Kieran
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi Guys,
I have recently made a hobo stove from a billy and a cuttlery holder.

Wonder if you guys can suggest any improvements?

http://youtu.be/OLAjSCH5ozQ

Thanks guys!

tadpole
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Apart from making the hole bigger, and starting the fire with a match/lighter tinder and thin twigs rather than chemicals, I'd say the biggest emprovment to you set up would be a wind shield.

Humakt
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Looks good to me.
I take it it burns fuel OK and boils water? If so, then you've done it right!
One thing to consider - putting feet on it to keep it off the ground (and thus not leave a scorch mark). I've seen some people put folding feet on them. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Google 'hobo stove' and see if you can find pictures of any with feet and work out how they attached them (probably a couple of bolts).
But either way, the one you've made looks good and as if you've got it spot on already.

Ben Casey
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Looks cool where did you buy the cuttlery holder? :)

Kieran
03-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Looks cool where did you buy the cuttlery holder? :)
Erm.. Mum got it, so I am unsure.. I think Poundland... or ASDA

Apart from making the hole bigger, and starting the fire with a match/lighter tinder and thin twigs rather than chemicals, I'd say the biggest emprovment to you set up would be a wind shield.
Yeah, we were just in a rush.. And didn't really need a windshield :)

Looks good to me.
I take it it burns fuel OK and boils water? If so, then you've done it right!
One thing to consider - putting feet on it to keep it off the ground (and thus not leave a scorch mark). I've seen some people put folding feet on them. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Google 'hobo stove' and see if you can find pictures of any with feet and work out how they attached them (probably a couple of bolts).
But either way, the one you've made looks good and as if you've got it spot on already.
I will look in to it!

THANKS guys!

Dan XF
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Looks a lot better than my first attempt. The only thing I will change for the next attempt is the fuel hole. I think if it starts from maybe 3-4cm from the bottom then less of the newly added fuel is likely to fall out. Is this modeled on the Wayland one from his website. If not take a look at his and look closely at his, the fuel hole looks higher and I'm sure this is the reason why. Not sure about a windshield though, I thought the idea was to turn it in to wind so the draught creates a better burn. saves you having to huff and puff like the big bad wolf. Try using a blow poker if you can find one, it really helps combustion too.

tadpole
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
The wind shield not only ‘protect’ the flames from the wind, it helps to provide draft/draw for the fire (creating a chimney effect) which make the fire use the fuel more effectively, more heat is directed at the pot base and sides, thereby increasing the surface area being heated by the flames

nicklasodh
03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
IKEA has a similar cutlery holder. They also come in two sizes. One a bit bigger than the other. My 1L zebra almost fits inside the cutlery holder. I guess two regular tent stakes will work great as stands, ur just a simple piece of wire bent as a U that fits inside the thing during transport. I could probably make cuts to make the zebra fit, like on the swedish mess kit wind screen.3409
Here I used a bunch on resin wood and a tent peg to boil water in a glacier mug. It did not come out well. Everything got hot and sooty, but the principle stands.

Dan XF
03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I made one following Justin's model from an old large dog food tin. As I stated previously I made a large fuel hole which is at the bottom which means some of the fuel tends to fall out when burning which is not good and I cut vents in to the top which allows heat out. This means the only way for air to get in is through the fuel slot. Turn it into wind and it works quite well but I wonder if a stove full of holes would burn better. It would certainly be able to get more oxygen and would be like a small brazier. Mine doesn't need a windshield but I reckon these slotted types would burn hotter and with less smoke. Don't know if I'll bother with making a new one as I splashed out on a honey stove in the summer after seeing the review on here. I think the advice was to use sticks no thicker than a pencil and you will be fine. That certainly works. Hint hint, they should now do a titanium version.

Kieran
03-01-2012, 04:55 PM
I think I will get a stand from IKEA

Al21
03-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I bought a cutlery drainer from Dunelm this morning for £2.99. Perfect fit for a 12cm Zebra billy too. Just needs two slot cutting to allow the lugs for the handle to drop in a little further, though that's not strictly necessary. The little steamer pan also fits with out requiring tent peg supports so it's easily used for mini bannock and bagel baking.

Al

Kieran
03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
this looks good (click me) (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Round-Chrome-Cutlery-Utensil-Holder-Cutlery-Caddy-Stand-Drainer-/250919053171?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item3a6bf0e773#ht_905wt_1189)
It is a cutlery drainer from eBay