PDA

View Full Version : Early Spring?

Dan XF
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I've been watching the trees around me for the last fortnight. My neighbour's cherry tree has done it's 2 weeks of blossom and is now dropping petals. I saw bees buzzing around it just before Christmas. There are pussy willow on the trees and catkins on the hazel trees (some of which have green leaves still on them) and my lawn has started growing. I've even got daffodils coming up out front. I used to live in Devon and remember blossom on the trees in late Jan 91 but I've never seen anything like this up here near London. My sister in law has just said that they've got buds on the trees up in Aberdeen. Has anyone known this before? I for one have never seen anything like it.

Wham666
07-01-2012, 03:08 PM
We were up in the lake district at new year and the gorse bushes were starting to flower! I think they're early but it could just be I've become more observant ;)

Martin
07-01-2012, 03:17 PM
We still haven't had a frost in our part of Cornwall. Not too sure if it's the whole county but it's been at least 4 degrees all year. I've been out riding my bike today with a tee shirt and a thin top; the sweat was pouring off me. :)

Martin

Metal mug
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
the sweat was pouring off me. :)

MartinAre you sure it wasn't the rain? :D

Martin
07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Are you sure it wasn't the rain? :D

Ha ha, well it is Cornwall so even when the sun's shining it's usually raining. But, this time I think it was just sweat as it was so warm. :)

Martin

Roadkillphil
07-01-2012, 03:53 PM
The gorse hasn't stopped flowering since last year and I camped in a mates garden at the end of November and he had daffodils coming up next to my tent!

paulthefish2009
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Christmas day i saw a bee in the garden and today i saw a queen hornet. We have had a air frost but no ground frost(had to scrape the windscreen twice so far). Glad wev'e not had any snow but we could do with a bit of a freeze to b honest. Paul

Martin
07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Christmas day i saw a bee in the garden and today i saw a queen hornet. We have had a air frost but no ground frost(had to scrape the windscreen twice so far). Glad wev'e not had any snow but we could do with a bit of a freeze to b honest. Paul

Where are you Paul?

Martin

paulthefish2009
07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Surrey Martin

Martin
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Surrey Martin

T^

Ben Casey
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
I was out in the garden most of yesterday it was nice up here not like a normal winter :(

Martin
07-01-2012, 04:24 PM
The kids are playing out all the time. I have to tell them to put their coats on but they really don't wear or need them. Long may it continue. :)

Martin

Ben Casey
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
The warm weather is nice but I do think we need some decent snow and ice otherwise we will be over ran with mossies and stuff :D

Roadkillphil
07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
we will be over ran with mossies and stuff :D

And Bleddy Emmetts!!!! ;)

Ben Casey
07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
And Bleddy Emmetts!!!! ;)

Emmetts is that holiday makers LOL

Martin
07-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Emmetts is that holiday makers LOL

Yeah, but you don't count Ben. ;)

Martin

Saxon
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
11.00 hrs the thermometer just inside the main hatch, which was open, was showing 14 Celcius. Sitting on deck in the sunshine swigging tea. Haven't seen any frost at all yet this year, but I'm on the coast between the Downs and the sea so usually escape until it gets really bad. It'll probably change on Monday, I'm off to the wood for 5-6 days..:camping:..:)

Ben Casey
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but you don't count Ben. ;)

Martin

cheers Martin I will have to apply for a passport for my next visit :D

Ben Casey
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I went out in the garden again today and a load of birds went flying over they sounded like geese and seemed to be heading West could I be wrong and they are heading back to the summer grounds this early? :)

JonnyP
08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
We were up in the lake district at new year and the gorse bushes were starting to flower! I think they're early but it could just be I've become more observant ;)

Gorse will flower all year round..

Its certainly early again this year for plants and wildlife.. Yesterday I saw cow parsley in flower. Cow parsley is one of the first umbellifers to come out, but I have never seen it out in January before. We have daffs out in the drive too.
We have only had one small frost here so far.