PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft Challenge No1.

beechnut mick
12-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I will set a survival scenario to give this challenge a purpose other than that its just abit of pointless fun.

You are stuck up a mountain with just a tarp and roll of para cord,the temperature is dropping and daylight is fading fast and your not going to make it down in time and u've just come across a clump of trees where you can make camp for the night.Using the paracord you have to erect your tarp without cutting any of the paracord,the reason for this is that you will need the full length of paracord to get you down part of the mountain the next day,also you have mild frostbite in your fingers so no knots are allowed to be used.The tarp where suspended from each point should be cinched tight to withstand the weather.
After a good night under the tarp and frostbite removed from the campfire that you made you make your way back to safety the next morning with the aid of the full length of paracord.

So to recap the rules of this challenge,

1) use the full length of paracord,no cuts to be made.

2) No knots to be used.

3) At every suspension point it is to be cinched.

4) Your tarp must be suspended from a minimum of 4 fixing points,ie fully off the ground,no pegging out.

good luck and enjoy,
Mike Hammond.

luresalive
12-12-2010, 10:15 AM
First thing, if you're going to remove frostbite on your fingers by using the campfire, you're already on dangerous ground!!!!

beechnut mick
12-12-2010, 10:43 AM
good point luresville i stand corrected,the heat from the campfire while you have your frostbitten hands under your armpits would help though.

sleeping bags
03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
ok, im gonna have go, even if my answer does sound daft :), four trees in a rough square, 1 end of parcord round the first tree and placed under the tarp, then thread cord diagonally through opposing ends, round second tree, up to third tree, round it, back diagonally through oppsing ends of tarp, to 4th tree round that up to 1st tree round that then grab both ends and in 1 in each hand and twisat your wrists wrapping the remaining cord around each hand, creating a makeshift pair of gloves to combat the frostbite, lay down and get some kip :)

Metal mug
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Go to the nearby mountain 24/7 para cord shop. :)

sleeping bags
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
hahaha much better answer metal

hoppinmad
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Has it got anything to do with squirrel training? ...darn clever them there squirrels!
Regards
Stu

Aaron Rushton
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
um ok this will sound daft but your could fine 4 trees roghly in a square and then do what sleeping bags said BUT this time you wedgee the end of the paracords down a narrow V in a tree where a branch comes off and you pull it really tight until its stuck and wedged tight in the V.

beechnut mick
15-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi sleeping bags,lol good method,you can also be inventive and use a forked stick pushed into the ground then wrap a figure of eight around with the paracord as a figure of eight wrap is not classed as a knot

Fuutpad
20-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I like sleeping bags answer but I would use a woodmans hitch for either end of the para cord.
A knot is used to close or stopper something. (reef knot, overhand knot, etc.)
A hitch is used to attach a line to an object. (clove hitch, rolling hitch, etc.)
A bend is used to connect two pieces of rope. (sheet bend, carrick bend, etc.)

JonnyP
20-02-2011, 12:39 PM
If you are already down to the tree line and you have frostbite, I would say keep going to keep warmer..

That aside..
I would find a large rock/stone and some ideally spaced trees. I would thread the tarp all around, and the loops of cord from the eyelets going enough times around a tree to hold it, and then pass the cord through the next eyelet, and so on until you are back to the first eyelet. Pass the cord through it and then wrap both the ends of the cord around the rock enough times to hold it.. If the rock/stone is not quite big enough to hold the tension, I would push a stick into the ground (between the cords) to hold the rock back..
Does that make sense..? I could explain it better with a drawing..

Fuutpad
20-02-2011, 01:22 PM
If you are already down to the tree line and you have frostbite, I would say keep going to keep warmer..

That aside..
I would find a large rock/stone and some ideally spaced trees. I would thread the tarp all around, and the loops of cord from the eyelets going enough times around a tree to hold it, and then pass the cord through the next eyelet, and so on until you are back to the first eyelet. Pass the cord through it and then wrap both the ends of the cord around the rock enough times to hold it.. If the rock/stone is not quite big enough to hold the tension, I would push a stick into the ground (between the cords) to hold the rock back..
Does that make sense..? I could explain it better with a drawing..

Do the sticks in the ground count as pegging?

JonnyP
20-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Do the sticks in the ground count as pegging?

Ok ok.. I will go and find me a bigger rock.. :0P

MikeWilkinson
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Wrap a rock up in the middle of the tarp, larks head (i.e throw two opposite loops around the bulge create by the rock, throw remaining ends of line over thick tree branch, hoist up tarp, wrap around rock again, take seperate ends down to opposite corners, through end loops out to trees/pole in the ground, pull tight around trees and wrap once, return to end loops, thread across to next corners and repeat, bring cord ends up from corner loops and finsih by tucking through wraps made earlier.

BelfastBushcraft
06-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I would pile up some debris for a bed. Then wrap myself up in the tarp and pull loads of debris in with me to create a water proof insulated sleeping bag. Also the act of collecting debris would warm you up alot.

happybonzo
06-04-2011, 07:56 AM
http://www.force4.co.uk/c/108/EPIRBS.html?referrer=googleCA108&gclid=CKz0nKW1h6gCFQoZ4QodrDujqg

SilverBinder
10-06-2013, 05:52 AM
The first problem that I see with this is the idea of having the tarp supported from four points. Given the scenario, I would place my tarp as low to the ground as possible with a portion turned under to act as a ground cloth. Before placing the tarp, I would collect as much wood and boughs as possible. The boughs and any debris would create a bed a good 24 inches or better to insulate me from the cold ground. Pack the remainer of the inner shelter with pine needles or boughs to act as insulation. This is when I would drag out my two large bin liners and construct a debris sleeping sack. The tarp would be arranged in a low Baker style.using hitches on two trees and pullng the slack up each side to set the other two points of the opening. It is fully off the ground and on top of the bedding. The fire would be a long type with as much of a reflector as I could create using the existing terrain features or downed timber. Once the fire is set and the wood pile protected. I'd boil up a cup of cocoa. (Tea and coffes are out as they have diuretics.) Eat as much high carb foods as are available for supper and keep your stainless canteen near the fire to prevent freezing.

AdrianRose
10-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Wrap a rock up in the middle of the tarp, larks head (i.e throw two opposite loops around the bulge create by the rock, throw remaining ends of line over thick tree branch, hoist up tarp, wrap around rock again, take seperate ends down to opposite corners, through end loops out to trees/pole in the ground, pull tight around trees and wrap once, return to end loops, thread across to next corners and repeat, bring cord ends up from corner loops and finsih by tucking through wraps made earlier.

I think a picture might help clarify this a little Mike.

Ade

Silverback
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
more thread necromancy.............

OakAshandThorn
10-06-2013, 05:15 PM
It's alive!! ALIVE!!!!! :evilgrin:
LOL :p

Adam Savage
11-06-2013, 01:27 AM

Was gunna say, "holy thread resurrection batman", but your's is better :)

Adam Savage
11-06-2013, 01:29 AM
I think a picture might help clarify this a little Mike.

Ade

Can attempt to get out soon and try get a picture of this method, if Mike is busy.

MikeWilkinson
11-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Hopefully I should get a chance to get out with the dogs and take some pics of this method. I also have a couple of other ideas that use the same base but a different method of tensioning around the trees.

Adam Savage
12-06-2013, 08:33 AM
T^

MikeWilkinson
21-06-2013, 09:32 AM
As promised some photos of my method. Pictures don't really show much so I've included a quick sketch as well.
I had to modify it slightly as I couldn't find a branch to suspend the centre off.

9031 Tarp suspended between four points using one piece of cord and only simple hitches.
9032 Larks head thrown over stone wrapped in the centre of the Tarp
9033 loop around stick used to tension tarp
9034Half Hitch secures free end of cord.
9035Detail of other loop around stick to tension tarp..

MikeWilkinson
21-06-2013, 09:44 AM
9037Detail of last half hitch to secure cord end.
9036Sketch of method.

To overcome not having the centre point to suspend from, I took the two free ends from the Larks head out to two of the trees (on the diagonal) and put a wrap around each tree, before beginning to secure the tarp corners. This effectively acts as a ridgeline that helps put tension on the centre of the tarp.

It should also be noted that I used slip half hitches to secure the free ends.

Mally
22-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I've read this thread with interest. Not sure if this is a silly question, but do you all know how to do a power cinch. Great for tensioning!

Tony1948
23-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Ha Mally,this threads been dead for over a year and was started 4years ago:happy-clapping:

Mally
23-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Ha ha.. never noticed. Thanks for the heads up Tony. ;)