PDA

View Full Version : A few days in the bush

treefrog
12-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Well, did you guys miss me? The forecast was calling for some nice mild weather so I threw some gear into the truck
and took off to the hunt camp for the last few days. No internet, cell phone, electricity or running water; wish I
could live there! Last night it cooled off a bit and the wolves started howling, and next thing I knew there were two deer
bookin' it through the yard...
Cut heaps of firewood then when it got dark I dragged my aging carcass back to camp for Epic Mealtime...
I always make sure I bring lots of comfort food when I'm working outside all day; all three major food groups:
fat, sugar and tobacco. (Liver & pork fat makes an awesome breakfast).
I brought a big fat Macanudo and pulled the chair up to my favourite life-contemplating spot, right next to the stove,
and sorted through the brandy selection left over from the deer hunt. Dessert.

Dig the $4 wool pants from the charity shop. Stylin'.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/cabinwinter12027.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/barefoot_01/cabinwinter12030.jpg

Lots of tracks out there in the snow, more rabbits than usual--must be near the high end of the cycle. Also every year
it seems the fisher population gets bigger around here; this time I found the fresh remains of a raccoon that had just
had his innards removed by a fisher. Other than that all was pretty quiet, just me and some quality alone time!

Keep your stick on the ice.

Jack.

CanadianMike
12-01-2012, 02:34 AM
I gotta get me some wool pants!!!! I wear my CF issue cold weather wool shirt constantly in the garage and at work, needs some real wool pants, and I'm not shy about second hand shops (heck, is where I buy most of my clothes anyways!!!)

You say you were alone, you set up the camera on autoflash and stood back to pose? Lol, wish I had a place like that to kick back and enjoy a few days each month just to relax and enjoy my beer, smokes and food.

treefrog
12-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Check out Value Village, Mike. I have a scary collection of 100% wool sweaters, pants, blankets...usually under $10 each. I even found a cashmere
sweater that clashes nicely with everything I own.

Fletching
12-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Jealous. :p

luresalive
12-01-2012, 06:57 AM
very cool

Martin
12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Very nice Jack. What's a 'fisher'??

Martin

rossbird
12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Great pics Jack, I'm curious regarding the 'fisher' too.

CanadianMike
12-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Check out Value Village, Mike. I have a scary collection of 100% wool sweaters, pants, blankets...usually under $10 each. I even found a cashmere
sweater that clashes nicely with everything I own.

That's wher I go 90% of the time, and where I've gotten a couple wool sweaters (OD commando one too), and all three of my wool blankets. Never thought to look for wool pants there though....

CanadianMike
12-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Fisher is a semi large aggressive weasle.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

treefrog
12-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Very nice Jack. What's a 'fisher'??

Martin

The best way I can describe a fisher is to imagine either a large marten or a miniature wolverine. The ones I've seen are all very dark brown or black,
but maybe the colour varies in other areas. They pretty much have no predators other than man. They're ferocious little devils that can kill
animals bigger than themselves; they can even manage to kill a porcupine, so I hear, but I've not seen evidence of that myself.
One of the guys I hunt with came across two beagles in the bush who had their guts torn out by a fisher that ran away when he approached.
The dogs were still alive so he shot them. We're gonna need to hunt with Irish Wolfhounds or some other monster dog if that keeps up.
In residential areas they seem to hang around and clean out the domestic cat population. I don't know where they got the name Fisher---
I don't think they fish?? Anyway, that's all I know about them, and feel free to correct any info I got wrong!

Martin
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow, that's a new one on me. Thanks for the info. :)

Martin