PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Mora!

Jasonn
15-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I must confess, I've seen pictures of these things only and to this day I've never touched one. I thought these things were nothing more then glorified kitchen knives with as much strength as my fillet knives. But then I started watching the youtube videos on here and from other folks and it seems that these have to be some of the most popular field knives in the world! So now I'm curious. I got together with a few friends and next week were going to order about a half dozen Mora's, their carbon Companion model and I might also grab one of their little red handled carbon jobs. I carry a few knives everyday, and my main EDC is a Buck Nighthawk, so I thought this little knife, if it works out might be a good compliment to it. My friends aren't at all familier with these knives so their trusting my word when I told them how popular they are. They will be used for different applications; Mine will be general outdoors use, daily chores, hunting, fishing and camping. Anothers will be used for hunting. One will be for simple, everyday uses from cutting apples and banana's to maybe small crafts and projects. The other fellow is a collector who likes to carry knives and sometimes heads into the forest on hikes and maybe for fishing. I think these little knives look pretty good and they should all get a pretty good workout fairly early, but I'd like to hear how much you enjoy yours and what uses you use yours for.

Metal mug
15-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Well I've a stainless steel Mora clipper. It's a great knife, I think I've used it for most things. As a general use knife it's ideal, it's cheap so if it ever breaks my wallet won't cry. :) It only needs sharpening occasionally, and is sturdy. The only fault I could find would be it's looks. (Yes I'm shallow :D ) It does look a bit plasticy, but for the price I paid for it (£11) I can live with it.

Jasonn
15-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Not sure what 11 pounds works out to, but their $24 here for the Companion and $14 for the red handeled model so yeah, I see what your saying about price. Those seem too cheap to be much good going by conventional wisdom. For example $15 will buy you a run of the mill, made in China, sharp like tin can piece of junk. I'm really looking foward to seeing what these little Swedish knives will do. If their as good as everyone says, I can't see any reason why so many shops are willing to stock these Chinese models for the same and sometimes more money.

Primerib
15-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I just recieved my Mora Companion MG last week. I chose this knife coz I'm going to get my huntinglicense in a few months and i wanted a knife that is sturdy and i wouldn't fall into depressions if it would ever get lost in the woods. Another factor that is often not considered is that it is very easy to clean. There are no fancy grooves or notches where muck could get stuck. After gutting your kill or fish that is worth a lot. One could think that the grip of the knife could suffer under the missing relief but the rubber coated handle has a nice feel and provides a secure grip even when wet. The knife came very sharp but not as sharp as i like it. The original finish had a sort of microserations. After a short touch up with my lansky and a good strop on a leather belt the knife almost shaves better than my gilette. Seriously...those carbon blades get really really sharp and are easy to maintain in comparison to other stainless steels. You can give them a quick touch up on practically anything like a suitable rock or the bottom of a ceramic tea cup or plate. Always a good choice.

I don't mind the looks of it. Actually i think they look alright for the task. I don't need to carry a piece of art around the woods.

Metal mug
15-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I just recieved my Mora Companion MG last week. I chose this knife coz I'm going to get my huntinglicense in a few months and i wanted a knife that is sturdy and i wouldn't fall into depressions if it would ever get lost in the woods. Another factor that is often not considered is that it is very easy to clean. There are no fancy grooves or notches where muck could get stuck. After gutting your kill or fish that is worth a lot. One could think that the grip of the knife could suffer under the missing relief but the rubber coated handle has a nice feel and provides a secure grip even when wet. The knife came very sharp but not as sharp as i like it. The original finish had a sort of microserations. After a short touch up with my lansky and a good strop on a leather belt the knife almost shaves better than my gilette. Seriously...those carbon blades get really really sharp and are easy to maintain in comparison to other stainless steels. You can give them a quick touch up on practically anything like a suitable rock or the bottom of a ceramic tea cup or plate. Always a good choice.

I don't mind the looks of it. Actually i think they look alright for the task. I don't need to carry a piece of art around the woods.Oh that's something I forgot to say - Sharpness :) I've not used a carbon Mora but my stainless came really sharp, and it sharpens well too. I'd imagine that a carbon steel knife would sharpen up even better.

Jasonn
15-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Your correct primerib about a knife that is easy to clean. Fat can be very difficult to remove from little nooks and crannies. I find a good fillet knife is fantastic for butchering and when through I just toss it into the dishwasher. Then I rub the handle with cooking oil and a resharpening. Then its good as new.

Primerib
15-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah! Blood is also a pain! My favorit a mix of blood and fish slime. Get that into a not well sealed wooden handle and you're bound to remember that fish forever!:zombie-fighting:

Jasonn
15-01-2012, 03:49 PM
We butchered two deer this year using a Grohman fillet knife and a Gerber Freeman for skinning. With that being said I've got a bunch of knives and a couple of saws in the shed that still need to be cleaned too. Yuk.

That looks like a pike in your avatar photo. Those have got to be the slimeyest creatures ever to swim.

Primerib
15-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Naa, pike is alright but the real slimer is the common bream (Abramis brama)! Land one bream with a net and the net looks like it has been entirely dipped in goo! Disgusting! The predator fish here in germany usually are not that slimey. The herbivores are the goey ones...hehe! Anyhow...kinda of topic!

Where is the next happy Mora Owner?!?!

treefrog
15-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Moras are great; been wearing one on my belt for 30 years. It's the best quality steel you can find for the money.
And if you want to go upscale, CanadianMike here on the forum makes some beauty knives.

bigstan
15-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Another vote for the Mora. I have three and they all get a lot of use in various roles. Never had to throw one away because of damage.

Tony1948
15-01-2012, 06:20 PM
You wont beat them,they are the white tailed bucks dangly bits, but get the carbon steel ones and make sure you clean them after every huntting trip,carbon will markup if not cleaned3456If you dont like the handle try changing it.

JEEP
15-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I can tell you a lot; http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?2505-Review-Mora-Classic-No-2-Updated-w-field-test!

bikebum1975
21-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Best bang for the buck knife wise. No frills knife but man they take a beating. I use my 840 daily and to be honest the first Mora I have ever owned I love the thing.

Tony1948
21-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Ha jasonn the Mora range of knife are probably the best knife you can get,there last a life time.I'v got 2 clipper 1 rehandled and 2 full tang ones I also put my own handles on,great blades.352035213522

Ben Casey
21-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I have one at the moment but I want to get a couple more but I will be after a full tang next :)

nicklasodh
30-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I bought a Mora 511 this weekend for 40 SEK, about 5,5 USD or £3,5.
I decided to convert it to the discontinued 510 model and make a lanyard hole.
It took me two meters masking tape and ten minutes and the result is quite OK. Unfortunately the lighter darkened the plastic around the hole later on, but hey, the knife cost about the same as a take away pizza... and I stopped eating them :) The 511 can be bought in bucket loads, however the old 510 sheath is extinct and it is not worth a custom sheath :)

Anyway, here is my rendition of the knife that was named "The Wilderness Blade" in 2004.
The sheath however looks like crap after my tries to reformat it.3623

rapidboy
31-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Im a big Mora fan :)

Just a few of mine , i have a load more
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rapidboy1/knives%20vol%203/DSC02849.jpg

nicklasodh
31-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Well, thats about what an average Swedish person has lying about, if he bothered to get them in one place. If you visit a Swedish farm you will find these knives strewn around everywhere. A swedish person seldom carry a knife nowadays, not even on a farm. Wherever you might need to cut something there is a Mora lying about. If you need some of that blue baling string, there is a knife stuck in the spool. If you need to cut open some fertilizer bags, there is a knife stuck in the wall next to them etc.
I might go out to my parents place and try to recover some old knives lying in the junk pile, just for fun.

Aaron Rushton
01-02-2012, 07:57 AM
i love my mora, it's been too many bushcraft events with me, it's been on every hunting trip, it's even been 25ft below the seas gathering shellfish! whatever i put it through i just give it a few strokes on the stone and it's as good as knew. this is the old mora clipper stainless in hi vis orange, still bloody from the pigeon i just cleaned with it. great cutting edge and completely bulletproof.

Richie
09-02-2012, 03:31 PM
I bought the SS and carbon Mora from Ray Mears site. Apart from a Marrtinni I don't have much experience of other blades but that said, I love my Moras. I've worked them hard of late chopping wood, opening tins etc and they are great.
The SS one I now keep very sharp and the carbon I use to death because it sharpens up real easy in the field using an SD4.

I can't believe they are so cheap for such good quality.

udamiano
10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
i've been using them for years, and always have the carbon version as my backup knife, for the price one the best knives I've ever used

bikebum1975
18-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Just got my second Mora this ones an 860 stainless mainly gonna keep it for food prep but damn thing is pretty close to scary sharp out of the box. The only thing I don't much care for is the sheaths on them now that I had it a while. Big difference though in the handle feel between the 840 and 860 that one seems to have a more plasticy feel to it than the 840 does

Primerib
18-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Hey! Did the finish of the 860 also have a kind of micro seration? When I got my companion it was just like you said extremely sharp but not razor sharp! Due to those micro serations it tugged a bit more at the hairs of my underarm - but still they fled in panic :happy-clapping:
After a touch up with my lansky and a good stropping on a leather belt it now shaves like my Gilette!

rapidboy
18-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I got a look at the new Ray Mears Companion MG this week, customer brought one in for a sheath - think i still like the older version better - little bit softer, more comfortable and better grip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rapidboy1/knives%20vol%204/IMG_3563.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/rapidboy1/knives%20vol%204/IMG_3728.jpg