PDA

View Full Version : January Camp out video

AdrianRose
16-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi folks

I've just posted a new video of my camp this weekend. It was bloomin' cold but still extremely enjoyable.

Hope you like it, I've tried to interject a little humour into this one too.

Ade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQq6bTH6tsY

Ben Casey
16-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi looks like you had a great time even though it was cold :)

Silverback
16-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Cracking video Adrian. i can vouch for the chill in the air too i was in the Lakes this weekend and it was flipping cold.

treefrog
16-01-2012, 10:03 PM
That was a great video Adrian, and it looks like your bannock was done to perfection.

BTW, at least you guys have January weather you can camp in....I woke up to -25C this morning!

Fletching
16-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Great vid Adrian.

Nice to see you making your mixing spoon (I'm sure our forebears didn't call it a spatula!) on site as well.

Adrian's Wall 'round the fire must've taken some hefting ;)

Good stuff mate.

Steve :)

AdrianRose
17-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

It was great fun to do the video and the chilly camp out. A couple of answers are in order then I guess.

Firstly, the bannock tasted great!
Secondly, you are braver than me,
-25c is too cold for me. To coin a phrase of Dave Canterbury's, "it is colder than a tin toilet seat on the shady side of an iceberg!!"

Thirdly, "Adrian's wall" was actually quite easy. There had been a dry stone wall collapse and roll down the hill. Luckily, my friend the landowner gave me permission to build it and encouraged us to leave it built for future use.

Lastly, spatula or spoon, I really don't know, I'm not that clever. But I think Ray Mears had it right when he stated "bushcraft is about being able to create what you need from the resources around you rather than carrying it in with you".

I'm on the look out for some new video editing software as there are a few things I want do but I'm using windows live moviemaker and whilst it's good, it does have its limitations. Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks again

Ade
Ps No mention of the banjo music, I must say that I am surprised.

garethw
17-01-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm on the look out for some new video editing software as there are a few things I want do but I'm using windows live moviemaker and whilst it's good, it does have its limitations. Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Adrian,
Well done on your clip... I've been meaning to give the bread a go for a while.. will have to try soon. Re: Video editing software. I've been a professional photographer and video maker for many years, and I find the Adobe software to be really good.

There are loads of brands out there, but most are aimed squarely at the home video market and as you've found with the Windows software, they quickly reach their limits for serious video editing.

Premiere Pro is a very good package that lets you progress to professional level projects. It also integrates well with all the other Adobe software; Photoshop, After effects, Soundbooth etc. You can get the full blown CS5 or a more affordable but limited & simplified Premiere Elements.
Others I've used are Eduis, Final Cut Pro (on a Mac).. both are excellent programmes.

Finally one I used in the past which is quite cheap & worth a look, as the others I mentioned above are quite dear, is Magix Video Deluxe... Its a bit quirky, but has all the hi spec features. It is fairly cheap for such a well spec'd software.

You can down load trial versions of most of these editing programmes by googling thier sites. I suggest you try them out and see if there is one you get on with. The learning curve is pretty steep when you get in to video editing.

Regards
Gareth

mark
17-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi looks like you had a great time even though it was cold :)

reminds me of the first time we camped out

Ben Casey
17-01-2012, 07:13 PM
reminds me of the first time we camped out

That was my thoughts when I watched it :) Boy was it cold and I learnt that you need insulation under you in a hammock :D on that trip I was so to say a virgin bushcrafter :)

AdrianRose
18-01-2012, 07:04 PM
That was my thoughts when I watched it :) Boy was it cold and I learnt that you need insulation under you in a hammock :D on that trip I was so to say a virgin bushcrafter :)

I use an inflatable insert in my hammock. I'm also working on adapting an old army sleeping bag as an under quilt.

Ade

AdrianRose
18-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info Gareth. Very much appreciated.

Have you any experience of PowerDirector editing software?

Ade

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Great vid Adrian - Thanks for sharing
T^

"Seriously Banjo music?" ;) loved the tunes.

Ashley Cawley
18-01-2012, 07:10 PM
... Have you any experience of PowerDirector editing software?

Ade
I have lots! That's what I make the NaturalBushcraft videos in ;) I'll send ya a PM.

CanadianMike
18-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Lol, banjo music! Funnier is, that's 'Dueling Banjos' from the movie Deliverance, I started laughing when it started and you are looking around the woods............ because, in the movie................ you know. ;)

rich290185
18-01-2012, 08:19 PM
lol me to Mike great vid T^

CanadianMike
18-01-2012, 08:29 PM
"squeal like a pig!!!!!!"

AdrianRose
18-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank god that the penny has finally dropped!! Lol

I wondered how long it would take before somebody noticed it was Duelling Banjo's. I have wanted to put this in a video for ages but only just plucked up the courage.

Ade

AdrianRose
18-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I have lots! That's what I make the NaturalBushcraft videos in ;) I'll send ya a PM.

Thanks for the PM Ash, I have replied mate.
Thanks very much :)

Ade

garethw
19-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info Gareth. Very much appreciated.

Have you any experience of PowerDirector editing software?

Ade

Hi Ade,
No I don't actually know this one... The pro world uses only about four editing softwares, Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Edius & Final Cut Pro on a Mac.
You won't find anything else in the majority of TV stations, movie studios or news agencies.... I've had to use everything but only rarely Avid, which in fact is probably the most widespread programme.

However, looking at the software you mention, it looks to be quite complete, I'd suggest you download the trial and give it a go to see if you like it. It's not that expensive by the looks for things.

Cheers
Gareth

CanadianMike
19-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Thank god that the penny has finally dropped!! Lol

I wondered how long it would take before somebody noticed it was Duelling Banjo's. I have wanted to put this in a video for ages but only just plucked up the courage.

Ade

I recognize it because of the many instruments I dabble with over the years, banjo is one of them. ;)

garethw
19-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Ade

Hi Ade,
A word of warning about using copyrighted music on Youtube. Basically you can't add any music you don't have a licence for, or copyright to. I know lots of people do, and there are thousands of clips using coyrighted music... however Youtube will ultimately either mute your video's audio completely or remove your clip. This may take a long time, as they can't police everything fast.
Also if your site gets popular, you can have ads on it and make some money, this won't happen if you use non royalty free music.

There are lots of Royalty free music download sites for video production which you can legally use on Youtube and it won't be deleted. Most tracks only cost about 20-30$ each. Some of it is pretty good. It might not be your favourite hit record or album track.... but those belong to the author and cost huge amounts of money to use even in a short personal clip.
Its worth bearing in mind as you'll put a lot of time into editing, posting and building your channel, only to find one day youtube has caught up with it and muted all your clips.

all the best with your videos.
Gareth

young
22-01-2012, 08:33 AM
great video Adrian.. nice to see using flint and steel and that fire reflector looks bomb proof. Duelling Banjo's nice touch i like the version by the Toy Dolls

AdrianRose
22-01-2012, 04:10 PM
great video Adrian.. nice to see using flint and steel and that fire reflector looks bomb proof. Duelling Banjo's nice touch i like the version by the Toy Dolls

Fortunately this version of duelling Banjo's isn't the original movie version so I hopefully won't fall foul of any copyright issues.

The flint/steel and char cloth is my preferred method of fire lighting when I have the luxury of a choice of what to use. If it was tipping it down with rain then the trusty ferrocerium rod would have come out.

Ade

great white ape
15-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Well done chap... we did the same thing except one of us has shot a deer earlier on in Nov and we spit roasted the haunch over a fire. Was excellent. Shall try and upload some pics. Meat mungus

dfxdave
15-02-2012, 03:41 PM
excellent vid enjoyed it and learnt something thanks

AdrianRose
15-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Cheers fellas. It's a shame the damn camera battery died. I had loads that I had planned to film. Was gonna do a bit on the different types of fire set-up ie teepee, range, parallel, Dakota etc but didn't get chance.

Maybe next time.

Ade.