PDA

View Full Version : DIY underquilt project

jus_young
17-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Having been a ground dweller for some time, I decided that I needed to try this hanging thing that everyone keeps talking about so a Christmas list was given to the good lady and a hammock with associated accessories was on the way. My only concern with the hammock side of things was the issue of staying warm as even in the tent I have a problem with cold feet! The obvious solutions of mat, cocoon, underquilt were all looked into and immediately the cocoon went by the wayside because, as you already know, they are not easy to come by in the UK. A little play in the hammock set up at home also showed that my mat was not going to work easily either.

An opportunity for a weekend away made the issue a little more urgent and, after looking at some underquilts, decided that a home made version was going to be the most affordable option at the time and needed to be made fast.

Thought I would share how the whole process went, hope you find this useful :)

The chosen donor sleeping bag was a 2 season bag obtained from Wilkinsons for £11. The colour isn’t too bad but the choice was really made due to the price. Originally the bag weighed 1.35 kilos (just under 3lbs) and measured 190cm x 75cm. The obvious problem was always going to be trying to get the length required for the underquilt as most cheap bags are only designed to come up to your neck as opposed to the underquilt which I wanted to hang under the full length of my body. The hope was that by using the bag open and diagonal I would get the extra length required, and it didn’t work out too bad.

So the first step with the bag open is to work out the finished size of the underquilt and therefore which bits to eventually cut off. The dimensions you require may well be dependent on the make of hammock you are using. I have the DD travel hammock and the priority for me at this stage was to get the biggest area of underquilt possible that could be further refined for version 2 in the future. As such precise dimensions were never calculated and the whole project really was just guessed! As you can see from the picture I used my tree huggers placed on the bag to get an idea of the curve I wanted that would use the best of the available area. Then using tailors chalk from the wife’s sewing kit, I marked the lines ready for sewing (of course a marker would do).

Once marked the bag then needs sewing. Don’t be tempted to cut off any excess yet as this just means you will have to pin it all together to sew later – just seems more work to me. You will need to sew around the entire outline of the underquilt, not just the curves you have marked as the existing zip and top hems will all be removed. I stitched around the outline twice for strength though this was probably overkill due to the draw cord that is added later, its up to you really. The stitching may not be easy as it is important that the insulation is sewn within the new hem or you will find that it will drop away from the edges when hung under the hammock leading to cold spots.

Once sewn get brutal with the scissors and remove all the excess material. Cut close to the stitching so that you have as little material as possible getting in the way of the draw tube you are going to put on next.

To make the tube for the draw cord I used 50mm (2 inch) nylon ribbon but found this to be a little tight when it came to sewing. Next time round I will use 70mm which will just give that extra bit of play. This part of the process takes a bit of time but cannot be rushed, the ribbon needs to be pinned in place as it slips everywhere when you try working with it. Take the ribbon and fold it around the outside of the hem you have just sewn on the bag. The trick here is to not have half of the ribbon on each side but to have a little extra on the side of the quilt that will be laid on the bed of the sewing machine. This way when you are stitching you are pretty much guaranteed to catch the side of the ribbon you cannot see with your stitches. I also folded over the ends of the ribbon as well as heat sealing them just for strength when the cord pulls on it. Two tubes in total with the open ends of the tubes at the far ends of the quilt.

jus_young
17-01-2012, 11:20 PM
The stitching done

Then it’s just a case of threading the cord in to end up with the finished item. This is fiddly and I found using children’s darning needles to be useful for this. They are large plastic needles with a large eye and make the job a lot quicker. One additional item you might wish to add is a few webbing loops. I put these on by cutting a strap into 75mm lengths and stitched the ends below the draw cord so as not to impede the free running of the cord itself.

Overall I lost about a quarter of the weight and the quilt went in the supplied stuff bag with ease. The size comparison is against a four pint milk bottle.

Did it work?

Well, yes. A wonderful weekend hosted by JonnyP allowed me to give this a test run. This was to be my first ever outing in a hammock so this was going to be interesting! Having arrived in darkness I set up my hammock and tarp and positioned the underquilt expecting my first night to be problematic and cold. It did indeed have a few shortfalls but given that this was a standard 2 season bag that was going to be short in its length it did a very good job. The problems that arose were:

Due to the pointed ends of the quilt, the foot coverage was not ideal. A little extra length would have given a flatter end to the quilt and better coverage under the hammock at the foot end. But saying that, my feet have been a lot colder when sleeping in a tent with a sleeping mat and my sleep did not get disturbed through this.

The paracord used to tension the underquilt is going to be replaced with shockcord. I found that during the night there was little give in the cord which ended up acting like a fence all around me and gave me little room to move.

Other than this the quilt worked as it should. My shoulders stayed warm, my back stayed warm, no chill in the legs, the only bit that froze was my nose. The temperature was near freezing and an icy wind came through on the second night so I have got to say that I would be happy using this again at temperatures close to 0C (low 30F). On this occasion I didn’t use the extra loops I put on the underquilt but these may well come in handy when I replace the paracord with shockcord.

Here it is set up and looking forward to many more nights like it

GwersyllaCnau
17-01-2012, 11:59 PM
This is pretty much exactly the same idea I had for making an underquilt for my Hennessy. Thanks for putting this up, it has helped me loads. Particularly the length issue, I wonder if the cut off could be sewn back on the give the extra length required? Would a double sleeping bag give you a longer diagonal?

I looked at a plan someone had posted somewhere for a home made Kick Ass Quilt.

Roadkillphil
18-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Brilliant thread Justin. Cheers bud. This is inspiring stuff, under quilt is defo the way I'd like to go. Thanks for posting :D

Martin
18-01-2012, 06:44 AM
It does look remarkably like my Snugpak underblanket which does have shock cord running along the length. Really good work there Jus and I hope the mods make it even better. I'll try to remember to bring mine along to the RV so that you can compare your work to theirs. :)

Martin

jus_young
18-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys :)

The double quilt may be the way to go on this one or even an old double quilt off the bed but the white colour they are normally made in probably won't stay that way for long :D

Did wonder about sewing bits back on but that was going to get messy and a compacted seem would be left from where the two parts met.

The process was really simple if a little time consuming but good fun none the less.

Ben Casey
18-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Great thread there mate and the work looks really good one thought I have had is would a (Not sure about the name) Silver survival blanket help in someway with the heat retention. It might be a bit thin but something a bit thicker could help. Anyway just a thought when I was reading :)

JonnyP
18-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Nice one Justin.. Got to be better than buying one..

GwersyllaCnau
18-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Just had a look at the size of a double sleeping bag from Argos. 190cm by 137cm and when opened out I suppose would be 274cm. I'd assume this would give the length required on its own being just short of 9foot, but the diagonal would be (in theory) 3.3m (almost 11foot).

I saw the bag in Wilkinsons and I think it was a 200gsm bag. The one I looked at from Argos is a 300gsm weighs 2600g but most of this weight would be lost (may be able to make 2 quilts) cost £26.59.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9276354/Trail/searchtext%3ESLEEPING+BAG.htm

This is the plan I found for the K.A.Q. designed for the Hennessy Hammock.

Here is the link to BUY a KAQ from Arrowhead Equipment.
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm

Here is the link for the FULL instructions for the home made version.
http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

jus_young
18-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Great thread there mate and the work looks really good one thought I have had is would a (Not sure about the name) Silver survival blanket help in someway with the heat retention. It might be a bit thin but something a bit thicker could help. Anyway just a thought when I was reading :)

Great minds think alike :D I took a spare emergency blanket just in case I needed to put it in the underquilt but found I didn't need it. I have heard of folks doing this and saying that it was a little noisy when moving around but its certainly an option. I think that modern loft type insulation with the foil backing is also viable but maybe a little expensive.

jus_young
18-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Some nice linkies there. Those instructions are pretty full on and look a hell of a lot more work than just using a sleeping bag. The one I used was a 250gm2 job here (http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/wilko-pilot-sleeping-bag-250-190cmx75cm/invt/0299239/?htxt=vYO%2BoUBhqRY02MbMGm29d4TuYzeNkMMkNjWEDPOD8A BG0KKT1FQXRPsNKc0OLXyLH4wXxDtN2IQx%0AQ5ploJ0u9g%3D %3D) but it seems to have gone up in price a bit now. This one isn't too heavy but I have just got to get the foot end sorted a bit better.

Wrighty28
18-01-2012, 08:58 PM
excellent thread, will be doing this at some point now! cheers buddy

jus_young
18-01-2012, 09:47 PM
My pleasure :D

Chubbs
05-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Jus

What was the reason for adding the webbing straps on the underquilt.

I have a quilt which I want to convert. Its made from 80% Polyester and 20% cotton but doesn't look 'shiney' water resistant like the one that you have used. Do you think that I would be able to waterproof it considering what my bag is made of.

jus_young
05-07-2013, 06:07 PM
To be honest I wouldn't bother waterproofing it. Mine was only shiney because of the type of material they used, no water resistance. If you need some kind of moisture barrier you would be better having a cover to slip around it. That way you have maximum breathability in warmer weather.

The webbing was put on so that I could attach some additional shock cord and run it over my ridge line for extra support if needed. I have used this every time now as the shock cord in mine gives a little too much.

Chubbs
05-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks mate.

Chubbs
06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Found another bag in the loft today which is more ideal. Its a double size which is 200g per sq mtre. I will be able to make this one go the full length of my hammock but am wondering about the width.

My hammock is 1.8 metre wide at its widest point so do I have to follow suit with the underquilt, matching its width as well as length.

jus_young
06-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Not really. The width needs to be wide enough to wrap around your body profile and will keep you warm if it is a snug fit against the hammock. If you think of those people that use mats in their hammocks, the mat is only under the body, not wrapped around the side. That's the job of a good top quilt or sleeping bag.

fish
06-07-2013, 11:16 PM
chubbs ,the one i made was a double duvet,full 6 foot across but then the one mrs fish has i made and is 4 foot across.

justin your a star maker mate well impressed!

Tigger004
07-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Nice job there T^

jus_young
07-07-2013, 07:04 AM
In the year that I have been using this one it has worked well. My intention was always to do a 'Mark 2' but just never needed to rush as this one works for me. Used it at the RV this year and that was supposed to be the coldest Easter on record.

jus_young
23-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Just posted a link to this thread for Ferrell Freddy. I had a quick look through it again and realised that I started this two years ago now! Been using it as often as I can and its still going strong, and used it at yet another RV. Good to know that the DIY stuff can last as good as the branded items.

Valantine
24-04-2014, 07:26 AM
some good ideas put forward here T^