PDA

View Full Version : Cooking up limpets and other Crustaceans HELP!

Bhunterbushcraft
22-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey guys,
Living in area near the sea just a quick help how to cook limpets so i don't well.....die :D

ALL HELP APPRECIATED

Martin
22-01-2012, 07:43 PM
You don't need to cook them, they're fine raw. If you want to cook them, pop them in a pot with some boiling water for a couple of minutes. Don't eat the black bit at the top, it's the stomach. :)

Martin

Bhunterbushcraft
22-01-2012, 08:05 PM
thanks Martin,
My grandad used to take me and my brother fishing and used limpets (the sea was at doorstep ;) ) and i asked how to cook them and never got an answer :(

Martin
22-01-2012, 08:23 PM
If you're going to cook them, just use a minimum amount of water. You're just steaming them out of their shells, not boiling them.

Martin

Bernie
22-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Ray Mears also showed how to cook them on a flat stone near the fire in one of his videos. Enjoy!

Matt
22-01-2012, 08:37 PM
You can just place them upside down in a few embers, when they'm bubbling they'm done. As Martin said, don't eat the black bit :chew on: :)

Bhunterbushcraft
22-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Toxins are one of the main things that concern me about using limpets, whelks, crabs etc is that the case here?:confused2:

Ben Casey
22-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I think you just need to be sure not to get them near the sewage pipes

luresalive
22-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Boil them till they come out of the shell (a few minutes) take the stomach out and liquidise the meat (foot) add them to a pot containing a tin of chicken soup and a handfull of chopped smoky bacon and heat up, it makes a fantastic chowder!!

Martin
23-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Limpets are not filter feeders like mussels so not such a problem as far as toxins are concerned. Limpets move around the rocks hoovering up the seaweed and vegetation. Obviously, if the water is polluted it stands to reason that the things that live in it will be polluted too.

Martin

Brendan155
25-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,
Living in area near the sea just a quick help how to cook limpets so i don't well.....die :D

ALL HELP APPRECIATED

Well There are many edibles on the coast, as Ray Mears understands, for our ancestors, when the tide is out, the table is set.

You can eat mussels, clams, razor clam?, limpets, periwinkles, cockles, green shore crab, all I can think of, just watch out for filter feeders, they contain toxins if there has been a red tide, if I right you can only pick filter feeders in a month with "R" in it.

Here is a good page for you.

http://chrismolloy.com/www/p135

Fletching
25-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Uncle Ray's Southern Broiled Limpets (linky) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K-Rf4Mtb4Q)

:)

aman
26-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Limpets don't move far from their resting hollow so it is very easy to decimate the population in a specific area. Try to take a few from here and a few from there and you walk along the rocks.

Also I seem to remember something about limpets changing their sex as they age so it is important not to just take all the big ones and to take a variety of sizes.

Also consider slipper limpets. These are an invasive species that are bad news for our indigenous oysters. I have never tried them but I am gonna try and get some this year

aman

Humakt
27-01-2012, 06:29 AM
I quite like limpets.
Taste and texture reminded me of whelks.
We cooked ours by laying the limpets on a stone and then raking some hot embers over them.
If you click on my blog (link in signature) you'll find a post called 'Limpets' (may be on the second page) and you can read about our limpet experiment there.
I'd certainly eat them again.

Marvell
28-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I prize them off of their rock and put them on a flat stone. Then I light a big (football sized) bunch of dried grass on top of them. Takes about 30 seconds to cook them. Remove the black bit and crack on.

For the record, I think they taste rubbish and probably need some seasoning; and melted butter; maybe with some garlic or tarragon.