PDA

View Full Version : Worst shop ever

Metal mug
14-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Has anyone come across a very bad shop? I've heard tales of a certain high street camping store selling novice campers summer sleeping bags for the artic. Which when you think about it could be a removed form of manslaugter.

chris grace
14-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Not really come across a bad shop,but have met many crap salespeople.One of the worst was a sales girl in field and trek Swansea.She was convinced that coleman fuel was the same as meths and was ideal for trangias.

aman
14-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I must admit to being absolutely overwhelmed by the knowledge of an assistant in Millets in Truro when when I bought myself some winter footwear recently. I have never considered Millets as a proper camping shop before, a bit like Mc Donalds for camping but she really knew her stuff and was very patient while I tried on every pair of shoes in the place.

Very pleased

troopermaz
15-12-2010, 12:11 PM
yes i have, camelot outdoors online shop, I bought a crook knife off them early september after 1 month it still hadnt arrived and so i tried phoning after 13 different attempts at different times and hanging on the phone for upto twenty minutes sometimes and repeated emails all with no reply i finaly got an email reply a week ago saying that it had been sent out but nothing in the email to say about a replacement or refund although i didnt want a replacement as i had got so fed up of no response i bought one elsewhere, so i am having to go through my card company for a refund. So the moral of the story is avoid them like the plague as i have since found out that this is not an isolated incident

Metal mug
15-12-2010, 12:47 PM
yes i have, camelot outdoors online shop, I bought a crook knife off them early september after 1 month it still hadnt arrived and so i tried phoning after 13 different attempts at different times and hanging on the phone for upto twenty minutes sometimes and repeated emails all with no reply i finaly got an email reply a week ago saying that it had been sent out but nothing in the email to say about a replacement or refund although i didnt want a replacement as i had got so fed up of no response i bought one elsewhere, so i am having to go through my card company for a refund. So the moral of the story is avoid them like the plague as i have since found out that this is not an isolated incident Thanks for the warning.

Ben Casey
29-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I have had a delivery from Silvermans and I'm not happy with them at the minute so I have complained. I will see what they have to say :(

Fletching
29-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I made an order with Trueways on the 13th December for lots of items including a nesting Billy can set. When the order turned up, one of the Billy cans was missing, as was half the other items. After four phonecalls, I've got most, but I'm still waiting on one item. Greenman Bushcraft is my fave, as they only sell what's in stock, this is followed by Backpackinglight.

Steve

Ben Casey
29-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I have filled in there contact form and copied the web advertising as they are doing false advertising if I dont here back. Then I will phone and if I don't get anywhere I will go to trading standards. The best was part of the order was totally wrong and not what I ordered LOL

comanighttrain
29-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah I had some problems with trueways in the past... being honest though they sorted it out as soon as i called...

Bambii
29-01-2011, 11:10 PM
We were warned about silvermans at cadets, they said they were a rip off and were just generally crap.

I hate to grass up peoples business's.

Ben Casey
30-01-2011, 09:57 AM
We were warned about silvermans at cadets, they said they were a rip off and were just generally crap.

I hate to grass up peoples business's.

Hi Bambi being Ex mil I had a lot of respect for them till I found out what crap they are now sending out. As an Ex Army Cadet instructor I thought I would give them a try and the benefit of the doubt. But not anymore you should never worry about complaining about bad service when it is justified and I feel more than justified at this point in time.

Ben

Fletching
30-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Seems to me that a lot of the 'Ex MOD' (and other military) stuff that's sent out by some of these so called 'dealers' turns out to be second rate Chinese rubbish, and they're taking you for a ride. If it's proper ex-issue you want, I'd always recommend Endicotts. I've only had about five orders from them but everything's been fantastic and the service really friendly. The Millbank bags I got from them recently were brand spanking new (or at least appeared to be)!

Steve

Ben Casey
30-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Cheers Steve I will have a look I just wanted to run a test on Silvermans to see and well I wont be back time to move on now :)

Metal mug
02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Glancing over the thread I see that Silvermans is currently enemy no.1. :war: ;)

Fletching
02-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Don't count your chickens just yet. I'm STILL awaiting a response to my fourth email to Trueways.

comanighttrain
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
You tried phoning em Fletch? I actually found that was the best way to get what you want. Every time I called I got some dotty old woman.... but she sorted my stuff pretty quickly

Fletching
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Yep, phoned as well. Last time it was "I'll get the guys in despatch to give you a ring". I'll be trying again later...

comanighttrain
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Having any luck yet Fletch?

Fletching
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Having any luck yet Fletch?

After going on about problems with their mail servers and problems with suppliers (don't forget, this started in December) he finally offered me a refund on the outstanding item and said the guy in accounts will mail me straight away with details...another wait begins...I mailed to chase-up twice since...

Steve

comanighttrain
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
flipping eck... won't be ordering from them again

Fletching
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
flipping eck... won't be ordering from them again

I just phoned and spoke to a lady who will 'put my refund on the list to be approved by Linden' (the boss). She also says she knows Ashley, Martin etc. Hope you guys notice this as it's taken me five phone calls and eight emails to go onto this 'approval list' for an order I made December 13th. The outstanding item was a sleeping bag liner. I had one delivered in two days since from elsewhere. I can understand if they have mail or supply problems, but there was a definite inability to communicate any of this on their part. I had to make all contact.

Not pleased at all.

Steve

she_guevara
03-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I just phoned and spoke to a lady who will 'put my refund on the list to be approved by Linden' (the boss). She also says she knows Ashley, Martin etc. Hope you guys notice this as it's taken me five phone calls and eight emails to go onto this 'approval list' for an order I made December 13th. The outstanding item was a sleeping bag liner. I had one delivered in two days since from elsewhere. I can understand if they have mail or supply problems, but there was a definite inability to communicate any of this on their part. I had to make all contact.

Not pleased at all.

Steve

Steve,

We had very valid reasons for the problems we had with your order. As was emailed to you by customer services, our email system has recently changed server, and we've had a few problems with missing emails. However, each and every time we have received something from you , we've replied swiftly and honestly about what is causing the problems.

I apologise for the fact that this hasn't been an easy process, however we cannot ship you a mummy sleeping bag liner when our stockists do not have any. It was explained at the time that this was the case, and that we are trying to find a replacement stockist. You were offered a refund repeatedly, and once you accepted it I immediately processed your refund invoice.

I am sorry that at some points our communications with you were not up to scratch. The fact that you dealt with three different people in different departments was a part of the problem, as were the email server problems. I can only apologise for this and assure you that this instance was unusual compared to our normal standards of service.

I hope that you can accept that this was an unfortunate combination of problems, and as Comanighttrain pointed out, we are normally good at getting problems sorted immediately.

Hope this answers some of the problems you've raised, and you realise that we aren't all bad people :)

Joy

Fletching
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
You were offered a refund repeatedly, and once you accepted it I immediately processed your refund invoice.

I am sorry that at some points our communications with you were not up to scratch. The fact that you dealt with three different people in different departments was a part of the problem, as were the email server problems. I can only apologise for this and assure you that this instance was unusual compared to our normal standards of service.

I hope that you can accept that this was an unfortunate combination of problems, and as Comanighttrain pointed out, we are normally good at getting problems sorted immediately.

Hope this answers some of the problems you've raised, and you realise that we aren't all bad people :)

Joy

Hi Joy,

I completely appreciate that you aren't all bad people. Personally, I wouldn't choose this forum to address my service issue, but as you have, I can only reply in the same way:

I was only offered the refund once, then heard nothing again until I contacted you:

James Pickett
to me

show details 2 Feb (1 day ago)

Hi Steve

Really sorry about this, our email accounts have been moved to a different provider and......

If you want a refund instead I can forward you the email address of the guy who handles refunds and returns?

Again really sorry about the lack of contact.

James

Steve
I'll take the refund as I need to be ready to go away soon.

The order number was 28930 and you should repay to that same card.

Thank you

Stephen Fletcher

15:45 (22 hours ago)

show details 15:45 (22 hours ago)

Hello James,

What's happening?

show details 09:27 (4 hours ago)

Hello James,

What's happening?

Steve

Fletching
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I think it's best we leave further communications on this Trueways matter on a private basis. :)

Steve

she_guevara
03-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree :)

comanighttrain
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Joy,

If you're still around, have you guys sorted your issues yet or know when things will be sorted?

I think most of us would still order from you if we knew everything was/will be running smoothly?

she_guevara
03-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi again,

We're in the middle of sorting the issues, our web guy has had some good ideas to resolve the problems that Steve has experienced. 99% of our transactions are going very smoothly, even since the server transfer, it was unfortunate that Steve happened to get a few glitches at once!

The glitches are being ironed out as fast as possible, so we should be 100% back to our normal service within days.

Thanks for understanding the problems we've had as a company, we do value all feedback from you guys.

Maybe meet you at RV or a meet sometime!

Joy

comanighttrain
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Metal mug
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
That was a saga. :D

Ivan
04-02-2011, 06:58 AM
My vote goes to radmore and tucker of exeter,about 6 months ago i bought a sliky gomtara 300mm, brilliant saw, but the tip snapped off, so i took it back expecting an exchange, thought is was metal fatigue ,first the chap asked me if i knew how to use the saw ? then sent me to the sort it out dept, the blokey downstairs was shocked to see the saw and said we have sold 1000s of these and never had one back,but refused to give me a replacement,he did however offer to send it to japan for silky to examine ,also stating that there was no way they would replace the saw,dont want to go on but seemed a bit off. dont think i wiil be shopping there again. is it me ?

Fletching
04-02-2011, 07:09 AM
How long had you had the saw before it broke Ivan? If it's within a statutory timeframe, there's no way they can refuse a refund or replacement if it's broken unless they can prove it was your fault. That's one of the reasons why these days I always buy online (unless it's shoes!) as the Distance Selling Regulations allow you a 'cooling off' period, even if you just don't want the item, never mind it breaking whilst doing its intended task.

Steve

Ivan
04-02-2011, 07:23 AM
About 6 months ,we didnt even get to discuss receipt ,which icant find, i was gobsmacked to be honest,being quality item and his comment on 1000s, was not in the mood for a row and dont think that would have got a result, and thought being without my saw whilst it was on holiday in japan,also his comment that they wouldnt replace it anyway ,i thought i will put up with my still useable saw.but as far as the shop were concerne customer relations and all was foolish to think an exchane was a mere formality, disappointed none the less

Martin
04-02-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with Ivan on this one. A complaint is an opportunity for a business to delight the customer. If you fail to grasp that opportunity, you don't deserve a second chance. There are dozens of companies, big and small, that I haven't shopped at for years due to their poor attitude to customer service in general and to me in particular.

Why should we have to get into protracted discussion with an organisation just to get satisfaction?

Martin

Kiltie
07-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Why should we have to get into protracted discussion with an organisation just to get satisfaction?

Martin

Is that a Bob Dylan song Martin ? :p

Marvell
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
A simple replacement would have elicited not only a pleasing smile, but repeat business, a report on such threads as "The BESTEST shops" and custom from others. Total cost of replacement, probably zero.

Muppets

Metal mug
08-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I was going to start a best shop thread but someone beat me to it. So I'll just carry on being negative. ;)

Ben Casey
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Can I be nearly positive in a negative way I just got a partial refund from Silvermans of 20 Quid. But I still won't use them again and don't order a ration pack from them :)

Celt_Ginger
23-02-2011, 10:12 PM
For me it is Military Mart online shop. Absolute rubbish service, I recieved second hand goods(which were advertised as new) and when I returned them, I got no replacement or refund. They just kept the goods and my money and then ignored my attempts to contact them.

Martin
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Right then Ladies and Gents. I have just deleted two posts on this thread from new members. This was their only post on the forum and both were rants aimed at different retailers. Neither contained any specific information about their dispute with the retailer nor did they attempt to say what they had done to ameliorate their given situation.

I have deleted both posts because, a) I believe it's bad form to use this forum to vent your spleen without at least introducing yourself first and taking time to get to know how things work and, b) because it leaves Ashley open to legal action from individuals or companies who feel that they have been libelled.

Please be temperate in your language and how you express your opinions.

Many thanks

Martin

comanighttrain
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Well Well Well... I know who I won't be ordering from anymore.

comanighttrain
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
As an aside, im pretty sure aforementioned cannot take legal action against you for the expressed opinion of Staffstone

Also, if Staffstone can evidence what occured then legal action is not available/moot since his allegations would be true...

Though I am not a lawyer and this is just my opinion.

Martin
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
All, following a post on this thread from user Staffstone regarding a dispute he has with the online retailer Surplus & Adventure (www.surplusandadventure.com), I have been contacted by this company who have threatened legal action against NaturalBushcraft unless the post was removed. Clearly, NBC is a free forum set up on a voluntary funded basis and cannot defend legal action.

Surplus & Adventure responded to the orginal complaint but requested that it be removed from the forum. In view of their request, I decided that it would not be balanced to leave their explanation withouth the original poster's complaint and have deleted both posts.

This has taken a great deal of time to deal with and I would request that, before you commit your complaint to writing on the forum, you consider the implications for NBC as the publisher of your thoughts.

Thanks

Martin

Fletching
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Good call Martin, but it's a pity a business can't handle criticism and act upon it in a benign manner. Like you said in a previous post, it was a missed 'opportunity to delight'.

Steve

Ben Casey
02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Bullies :)

Bambii
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Good call Martin, but it's a pity a business can't handle criticism

I don't think that any business would want people knocking them.

It's easier for a large company that has lots of root's, but when you have a smaller company (ie, a high street shop) things are harder. And all this information about companies is all well and good but one bad experience isn't much, not everyone can have their goods right on time. If you were going to make a serious judgement on a company I think you should have a good few customers with the same bad experiences to back it up.

Plus if you look at review sites unless people had the best buying experience ever they don't write it, it's always people that had an awful service or like a messenger from god delivered it on the same day it was ordered.

Metal mug
12-03-2011, 09:04 PM
And that's the end of that chapter. :)

Smurf
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Took a while for me to order from surplus and adventure after reading forums about these guys but I like the site, clothing and boots cheap. Ordered a pair of Swat boots. Delivery not as quick as I'd like but got them within a week. I thought I'd add my feedback on a forum after giving them the benefit of the doubt and finding the service and value for money very good.

GwersyllaCnau
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Not really come across a bad shop,but have met many crap salespeople.One of the worst was a sales girl in field and trek Swansea.She was convinced that coleman fuel was the same as meths and was ideal for trangias.

Think I've met that girl. Maybe thats why it closed down. Sales people in Field and Trek in Llanelli are good.

klause
03-04-2011, 11:55 PM
This has taken a great deal of time to deal with and I would request that, before you commit your complaint to writing on the forum, you consider the implications for NBC as the publisher of your thoughts.

Martin, NB should just publish a list up of all well used outdoor retailers (on one thread) and we could give them the 'thumbs up or down' depending on our experiences when dealing with them...

'No comments'....'one vote per member'.......'thumbs up or down'....JUST A THOUGHT !

Metal mug
04-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Another thing we could have is a list of pet peeves or tips for shopkeepers for keeping happy customers.

Krill
19-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Silvermans really isn't a pleasant experience.

They're one of those places that seem to have alot of stock that most similar retailers don't, and they feel that gives them the right to crank up their prices.

Plus I ordered something from them once and they hadn't even taped the box shut properly...