PDA

View Full Version : HELP ! Best Knives for £20 or under...

Bhunterbushcraft
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
:welcome:
Inquiring about the (like it says in the title) the 'Best knives' for under £20. I already have a Mora bought for around £10 and I'm looking for a secondary knife to take out with me. Preferably Carbon Steel :zombie-fighting:

All help wanted :D and appreciated

:camping:

Roadkillphil
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Well I have one of these

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4444&strPageHistory=related

and I reckon a good few folks can vouch for this puppy.

Cheers

Phil

Wood_Wose
05-02-2012, 03:46 PM
i like the look of those phil, how are they cutting with force, any problems with the blade moving/closing?

treefrog
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
My two nephews use the Hultafors GK knife. Ugly plastic handle but very robust carbon steel blade.

Bhunterbushcraft
05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys i'll take a look, another aspect is that a website will have to use PayPal

Roadkillphil
05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
i like the look of those phil, how are they cutting with force, any problems with the blade moving/closing?

They're great for most camp tasks, wouldn't baton with it mind! As for folding on you, when it's open, your hand round the handle clasps the tang so it prevents self closing accidents! When I'm out in the woods it is my main blade, I use it for all tasks. It was recommended to me by Matt, Ashley, Martin and Raven.
When it arrived, I sanded off the varnish and rounded off the handle, then oiled it up.
I am currently having something a bit more heavy duty made for me, but when it arrives it will live on my belt and I'll still carry my peasant as a neck knife.

Cheers

Phil

Aaron Rushton
06-02-2012, 03:49 PM
get a carbon steel mora :P i have used my mora for ages but am now looking to make my own knife as something which looks nicer. i have already got some lovely bits of walnut, and am still deciding on which blade to order. i have found loads under £20.

RobbC
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Ben, have you introduced yoursel yet? :D big jakey :L

Bhunterbushcraft
06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
woah woah calm "Robb", i'll tie you up and leave you in the middle of the Lomonds with a half sharpened spoon and a towel :L see if you can make it home :L:L

rich290185
06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
i just got a carbon steel mora today it was £10.50 off raymears.com if you order befor 2pm its delivered next day free, i ordered late thursday any it came this am tho still not bad and love the knife T^

bikebum1975
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
One can never have to many Moras or Opinels as I am finding out nother great inexpensive knife

Primerib
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey! Has anyone tested the Hultafors HVK GH Knife in orange with the rubberized handle? I'm very much interested in this knife...as it is still a lil cheaper than the trusty moras. Perhaps somebody can compare it to a Mora Companion MG.

So far I have only found out that the HVK GH is not full tang...or at least does not have as long a tang as the Companion.

Tony1948
12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
615561546153I pay £18 for the Lapland the first two are carbon and the end ones SS.Pic's are round the other way firstones SS and the last 2 are carbonLOL.

Adam Savage
13-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm with Phil here. The Svord peasants are good little knives, and can be sharpened easily. They sell them with plastic handles too, which are a lot tougher than the wooden handled version.

Modvitnir
17-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Can't go wrong with Opinel. Rough Rider make good little back up knives too. As for fixed blades... probably Mora.

Adam Savage
17-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I quite like the look of the Opinel No.8 Outdoor knife, but why did they have to go and put a serrated edge on it? If they're available with a nice plain edge, then I'd happily pay the £20 for one.

http://www.kizlyarknifestore.com.au/images/opinel8outdoorgrey.png

Primerib
17-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh I'm absolutely with you on that one! The design is quite cool which I probably would have bought. But I will have to wait till opinel provides us with a not unnecessarily serrated blade. Should we start a NBUK Petition from all NBUK users handed in to Opinel asking for a unserated blade??? :happy-clapping:

@Modvitnir: The RoughRiders are for their price quite alright. I had two Doctors Knives and now have only one left. On the one that had to leave the counter-spring in the back of the knife broke after a short while without hard use. The supplier refunded my money. But still...I don't like giving knives back which I have grown fond of.

Primerib
17-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh I just remembered...I think I posted these already before somewhere but I can't post these often enough. I have to promote more German knives.

I present the Mercator "Large" locking

and the Mercator "Small" non-locking

Both can be aquired in Carbonsteel or Rustproof

skids
18-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Got a Mora robust carbon steel from Heinnie Haynes, less than 24hrs for delivery (no extra cost) and they use PayPal.