PDA

View Full Version : Flint and steel...

Jon Mac
06-02-2012, 05:13 PM

I've been busy.
Just as well I have been using my new Adze as I was given a bit of a challenge from a friend of mine who is studying for her degree in archaeology.
A week or so ago she asked if I could help out with some living archaeology.
Lucy had been tasked by Professor Bradley to knap a flint adze and use it to make a wooden object.

Read full story at... http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.com

paulthefish2009
06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Truly lovely work Jon. Paul

Jon Mac
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you Paul... Having some fun with it at the moment...J;-)

rossbird
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Interesting read Jon.
My first, and most obvious question is, how well does the hide binding hold up? The impact through the head must be considerable.
Secondly how easy would it be to resharpen the flint? would it entail a complete strip down.

Tony

Jon Mac
07-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Everything held up surprisingly well. The flint can be knapped or pressure flaked back into shape. You can also polish the flint with water stones, but this system didn't come into use until much later in tool development...Thanks for your comment Rossbird...Cheers...J;-)

happybonzo
07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Jon Mac - if you travel into the Egyptian deserts towards Libya you will be falling over flint tools. The best maps available are the 1941 British maps updated by the LRDG. I believe that they are only available in Egypt but it may be worth trying Stanfords if you fancied a crack at it

Jon Mac
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Ah yes ! The LRDG...I'm familiar with their work... Probably won't venture that far for a flint tool Happybonzo, at the moment students are only too happy to bring flint tools to me:happy-clapping:. Thanks for the heads up though, I will inform my student when she visits in the near future. Thank you...J

Silverback
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Been looking at your blog Jon very interesting.....particularly the MRC patch member by any chance ?

bikebum1975
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the idea supposed to be getting a good amount of flint from a buddy of mine will have to give this a try. May try this with my hawk to lol

By the way love your work

Jon Mac
08-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Eight years with Dartmoor (Ashburton sec). Now retired with back, knees and feet. I now rescue billets of birch and turn them into beautiful treen...:happy-clapping:. Still involved with the team, try to help them raise their profile. Mind you, when I was a member we had no profile, we turned up, searched, found and sneaked home, all very cloak and dagger...LOL...Cheers...J

Jon Mac
08-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks bikebum...Lets have a look when you've done...Cheers...J;-)

Silverback
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Eight years with Dartmoor (Ashburton sec). Now retired with back, knees and feet. I now rescue billets of birch and turn them into beautiful treen...:happy-clapping:. Still involved with the team, try to help them raise their profile. Mind you, when I was a member we had no profile, we turned up, searched, found and sneaked home, all very cloak and dagger...LOL...Cheers...J

Those days are long gone, need a profile when a landy costs £40k +. I'll be bumping into some of your old colleagues next month...Alex L and them of the doggy persuasion.

Back on topic just bought some carving tools, made my first spoon a week or so back, lining up to do a kuksa but Im a long way off your level of skill, nice work there J

Jon Mac
08-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Too true, gone are the days when we ran searches from the back of a shooting break. Yes ...Alex...Well have good fun with him, he's a right old character thats for sure. Have a look at my blog for hints and top tips. I would love to see any work you produce, keep it up my friend...J
Those days are long gone, need a profile when a landy costs £40k +. I'll be bumping into some of your old colleagues next month...Alex L and them of the doggy persuasion.

Back on topic just bought some carving tools, made my first spoon a week or so back, lining up to do a kuksa but Im a long way off your level of skill, nice work there J

bikebum1975
08-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks bikebum...Lets have a look when you've done...Cheers...J;-)

Will do Mate look forward to trying to make one to LOL