PDA

View Full Version : Karrimor Side Panel Modification

Humakt
08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I've never got on with two of those big side pouches on the Karrimor Sabre.
They're just too big and capacious. One's fine, but what I find usefull is a smaller pouch for the smaller things, so you don't end up losing them in the depths.
So when the Predator side panel came out I bought one. But I found those two top ammo pouches practically useless. And the whole pack looked uneven with a PLCE pouch on one side and a Predator panel on the other.
So I've been making!
Using a spare PLCE pouch, and chopping up the Predator panel, I have made a side panel that consists of two pouches!
This is infinitely better. On one side of my pack I have a PLCE pouch, and on the other I have two half-sized PLCE pouches (well, a half-size one on top, and the large bottom pouch from the Predator on the bottom).
It was fiddly to sew in some places, but I got there and really pleased I did!
Here's some pictures:

Wood_Wose
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
That looks like a real practical mod, iv been looking at the karrimor packs for a while now, i know its down to personal preference and all that but im torn between the berghaus vulcan and karrimor 75 with side pouches as my multi day pack (need more room for the massive sleeping bag iv just got), roughly the same price, roughly the same spec, whats your experience with the karrimor packs?

Humakt
08-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Mine's a Karrimor Sabre 45.
I've no problems with it at all. Never owned or used a Berghaus, so can't compare.
I can find no fault in the Sabre myself.
When I bought the Sabre (about a year ago) I looked at the Karrimor Predator pack as well. The Predator is considerably heavier, so I (personally) would rule that out.
How the Sabre compares weight-wise with other packs I couldn't say, but fully packed it's a weight I'm prepared to lug around (and I'm known as relatively light-weight camper compared to friends).
If I was to buy a pack now, however, I would definitely buy a MOLLE one. I like the versatility and flexibility of the MOLLE system - you can add pouches and bits to have the pack exactly how you want it. They're more expensive (even more so when you add the price of the extra pouches), but that's what I'd be buying.