PDA

View Full Version : Nature Deficit Disorder

Fletching
11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Interesting article from the beeb here (linky) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16963807)

Steve :)

Saxon
11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
That was interesting Steve. I think the old saying of "Use it or lose it" somehow applies in this case. I mean the knowledge will be lost, not necessarily nature. I'm old enough to remember when most girls could knit, most boys knew what a Stickleback looked like (and of course the girls did too). I doubt the same applies now, simply because the knowledge is lost through lack of use.
Like simple old skills and knowledge, the love of nature could easily be lost in a welter of computer games and flat screen TV's. But it's not the kids who are at fault, it's us the parents and Grandparents who need to get a grip and allow the kids to run wild a little, or if they're in towns to get them out into the countryside not the local amusement arcades.
Every year they have the County Show at Detling in Kent, one year an exhibitor was telling me that of a group of school kids visiting from South London, few knew the difference between sheep and goats and a game of matching Acorns to Oaks, Blackberries to Brambles etc: revealed they hadn't got a clue. I didn't think much about it at the time but that article you posted has a fair bit of truth in it I'm afraid.

jus_young
11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I would agree with this one. Don't know so much about 'the kids of today' but I would suggest that many of us folk are hardwired for the outdoors.

udamiano
12-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Kids of today definitely spend too much time in front of the games machine, sad really

Roadkillphil
12-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Kids of today definitely spend too much time in front of the games machine, sad really

Happy to say mine don't :D They get withdrawal symptoms if they can't get out and play in the woods or down the beach. Corey is 6 and he can identify a lot of hedgerow plants. His knowledge of wildlife (and dinosaurs) is amazing for his age. I'd say I was lucky, but it's not luck that's given my kids an interest in the outdoors. It's my wife and I giving them the options. They have access to the countryside and also to our friends games consoles.... And they do prefer to be outside.
The thing is for kids brought up in a city, if money is a problem, then access to the countryside can be a near impossibility and they will choose to enjoy their childhood as much as my kids do, but using other means to reap that enjoyment. I'd say for some folks, it's not lazyness or lack of care for their children's needs, but more a matter of circumstances. Given too, that most people see that modern society provides everything they need, then the outdoor life can seem to be an adventure to be embarked upon rarely.

Realearner
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
So true, I take my granddaughter out into the woods and ite like another world to her and she just loves it.
I remember my childhood rangeing all over the place, and having lots of fun and using my mind.
More than I do now ha ha!!!

Martin
12-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Got to say that my experience, and I've been fostering teenagers for about 12 years now, is that kids are only too keen to get out and play outside. We currently have a 7 year old and an 8 year old and they've just got in after being out since just after lunch. We know where they are as we can hear them shouting and laughing in the street outside and if they're going further afield, they just let us know.

My 13 year old daughter has a computer in her room but it rarely gets switched on. I only wish I could get her more interested in our type of outdoor life but I don't see the point in pressuring her.

I am pleased to say that the generation of the future is alive and well and doing just fine in Cornwall. :)

Martin

Jose234
24-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I would agree with this one. Don't know so much about 'the kids of today' but I would suggest that many of us folk are hardwired for the outdoors.

Yes, I agree with you .http://www.frou.info/g.gif

Bulworthy Project
13-05-2012, 09:47 AM
We recently invited the local primary school to use our place for forest school activities. We were inspired to do this because when it was snowing, there were no footprints on the village common, just entirely untouched snow. The kids came here on friday for their first session and they were obviously in their element. Unfortunately a lot of parents feel safer if their children are in the house playing computer games than outside having adventures. We both spent our childhoods playing in the woods as much as possible and loved it. We have also both been much healthier since we have been living in the woods as adults.

FishyFolk
13-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Another problem is that when the kids do get out, it's overly organized by adults, instead of just letting them lose and see what they come up with...but admittedly some of them do need a push, as they would not have a clue where to start once they are out in the dirt and green steuff...

KaiTheIronHound
13-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Its a shame that parents these days are padding their kids up and disinfecting everything they do. I know so many kids these days with allergies or other health problems that i dont have, and the only difference in our lifestyles is that when i was a kid i was always outside and getting dirty. My parents didnt worry, why do parents these days?

FishyFolk
13-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Its a shame that parents these days are padding their kids up and disinfecting everything they do. I know so many kids these days with allergies or other health problems that i dont have, and the only difference in our lifestyles is that when i was a kid i was always outside and getting dirty. My parents didnt worry, why do parents these days?

Becosue 90% of the time, the parents don't see their kids at all. Here in Norway they are tucked away in nursery school from age 1, and their parents only see the kids between 5 in the afternoon and bed time at 7 + weekends, unless they are to busy with their self realisation plans...

I worked in a nursery school for a few months, and I saw kids that was able to handle knives, climb trees, get dirty, fall and get up again without a wimper, dress themselves etc...and when their parents came to pick them up, they became helpless babies again. I think becosue their own parents don't have a clue what their kids are capable of, since they hardly see them....

happybonzo
13-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I was lucky in that I grew up on a Farm as did my daughter. Now my grand daughter has the privelege of wading through, and falling into,cow muck.

If you ever meet some of the people who run Urban Farms you'd be quite surprised at the reactions they get from visitors. Some kids, when they find out that spuds come out of the ground, get freaked by that and don't want to eat them again.

We are distanced from what our parents took for granted. There are not many Butchers shops around now. Most people buy their meat from Supermarkets where it comes wrapped in plastic and has no relationship to the animal from which it has come from.

The other point raised by a couple of others on here about children being over protected is also valid. One can also understand most parents reaction when it seems that every day there is yet another report of kiddy fiddlers being on the loose.

I'm sorry to say that there is little scope for children to play in the woods like they used to be able to.

RobbC
13-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I have to say, my mum was waaaaay over protective with me, but i ignored her and explored the woods wi my mates regardless. I do notice that a lot of people in my school just sit from when they go in, to when they go to bed playing video games, and sometimes even when they get up before they go to school....

Hushwing
13-05-2012, 08:57 PM
If you ever meet some of the people who run Urban Farms you'd be quite surprised at the reactions they get from visitors. Some kids, when they find out that spuds come out of the ground, get freaked by that and don't want to eat them again.

I do volunteer work with a local farming and food group (part of the Royal Highland Education Trust) and kids on being asked where eggs come from have said "cows". we presume because eggs are found in the dairy dept of the supermarket. Also been accused of being cruel that 'we' kill sheep to get their wool - kid didn't realise it was like a haircut of sorts.