PDA

View Full Version : Helle Eggan Knife

geordienemisis
17-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I have just purchased a new knife The Helle Eggan. has anyone got this blade or has anyone used this blade. My first impressions are quite good Has a full tang but only rod size not blade width. I am pleased with the looks, I will let you all know how it works for me in a further Thread ok cheers catch you all later

John

gabrielo
17-12-2010, 08:29 PM
thatīs definately a good choice on a general bushcraft knife...iīve got mine since 2 years now and though using it strongly i only had to really sharpen it once on the wetstone...stropping on a leather belt with stainless steel polishing paste from time to time is enough to keep a rasor sharp edge. btw: itīs called eggen not eggan. it fits in my hands perfectly and has also the right weight.

MartiniDave
20-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I have one, it was my "best" knife before the Wilkinson Sword Woodlore came along. I still use it quite often, it holds an incredible edge very well. The sheath seemed flimsy when I got it, so I hot waxed it to make it safer. The only other downside is the spinew won't strike a firesteel, something that used to seem desperately important to me, but now doesn't matter at all. Enjoy the Eggen, it's a good tool.

Dave

snag68
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I had one many years ago. I could get it razor sharp, but, I wouldn't hold it's edge for two minutes.

On the plus side it was a joy to hold. Having said that, so is my willy, but it's no good for cutting wood or preparing me dinner ;)

Daz

gabrielo
03-03-2011, 08:39 AM
hm, seems like there are huge differences between some models. in last time i heard quite often of an eggen to fail, either the tang broke, or there was something other with the blade steel or the handle. in fact i cannot confirm these kind of problems with my eggen, itīs still working strong after now 2 and a half years strong use.