PDA

View Full Version : Antique Sami knife

JEEP
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Just got this beauty in the mail:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Jakobeep/Knive/Samekniv_01_01_WWW.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Jakobeep/Knive/Samekniv_01_02_WWW.jpg

It is quite huge: Blade lenght; 18,3 cm. Overall lenght; 30 cm. Lenght og knife in scabbard; 34,4 cm.

The scabbard is reindeer bone and leather, the handle is curled birch and reindeer bone

The traditionally rough blade is marked AO and the scabbard LOP. I'll have to research that at a later time

I believe the knife to be from around 1960

I have been wanting a knife like this for my collection for quite a while

Regards.

Jakob

Ashley Cawley
08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Truly beautiful, lovely detail and tradition there. Has it been poorly maintained or abused before it got to you? The edge looks somewhat rough that's all, no doubt you'll enjoy restoring it a little. ;)

JEEP
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
The blades of these knifes are traditionally quite rough. This knife doesn't seem to have seen much use actually.

I will gently remove the rust, but leave as much patina undisturbed as possible. The leather would benifit from a good coat of leather grease though

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP
19-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I have just started gently cleaning the blade, oiling the handle and greasing the leather. It it turning out very nicely.

An interesting note though; what looked like a thin layer of rust, covering the point and half of the blade, has turned out to be mostly dried blood. Not all that suprising really, considering that the leuku is used in every process of preparing game; from the skinning to the cooking.

TedPalmer
09-01-2011, 02:15 AM
that is really fine!
longest, narrow bladed Sami knife I have seen.
very interesting, where did you get it?
be safe... Ted

Fletching
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
That's a real beauty Jakob! I really like the scrimshaw/kolrosing work on the scabbard.

Steve

JEEP
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I found it posted at dba.dk

The blade is narrower than most modern modern leukus, but if you look at older types, the narrow blade is quite common.