PDA

View Full Version : Super Bright LCD Head Torch??

skipper
26-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi,

Looking to build up my kit list, Im on the look out for a hammock and Ade has given me a good suggestion! :-)

Now looking for a super bright LCD head torch, I've got one that I picked up at a local petrol station when it was on offer but it's not that bright.

Does anyone recommend a good bright one, I don't mind if it has a small battery pack at the back.

Regards

Dave.

jus_young
26-02-2012, 10:07 PM
There are loads out there and the Petzl brand have a pretty good reputation. Personally I just use an Enegizer one that I picked up at the supermarket. Its been going for over a year now with all weathers thrown at it and its still going strong. Used it on a night hike in the pouring rain and blasting wind across cliff tops last time out and seriously thought that this would be the end of it but no, it still works. For the price I wouldn't mind if it did go wrong now as I would just go and buy another.

Silverback
26-02-2012, 10:58 PM
ALPKIT Gamma, great value, White, red and green low power LEDs and a bigger 1 watt LED about 15 quid ish...failing that roll out the big big guns with the LED Lenser H14

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/head-torch-range/led-lenser-h14-focusing-head-torch-210-lumen-output.html

Martin
27-02-2012, 06:58 AM
I've got the Alpkit too. The strap on mine is in a cool shade of pink which nobody seems keen to pinch. ;)

I would add that, wherever possible, I try to avoid using my torch as I prefer to let my eyes become accustomed to the lower light levels but sometimes you just can't avoid it. I would recommend finding a torch with a red light as this doesn't affect your night vision so badly although beware of reading a map with the red or green lights as it effectively blocks those colours.

Martin

skipper
27-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi All!

Thanks for all the replies!

I was out walking the other night and one of the guy's was using a red light and I wondered why but when you say it doesnt affect your night vision as much it makes sense...

Regards

Dave.

Silverback
27-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Some of these super bright LEDs should come with health advice as shining it in peoples eyes and burning out their retinas as a smack in the gob often offends ! ;)

My Alpkit has just died on me :mad2: I will be buying another one but Ive had it 6 years and its never missed a beat and taken some REAL stick in some really crap conditions

jbrown14
27-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi All!

Thanks for all the replies!

I was out walking the other night and one of the guy's was using a red light and I wondered why but when you say it doesnt affect your night vision as much it makes sense...

Regards

Dave.

Hey Dave,

The rod cells in your eye are most sensitive to light in the green to red range, are concentrated in the outer edges of the retina and are responsible for night vision. If you've ever walked at night and noticed something flickering across your peripheral vision, only to lose sight of it when you turn and focus your attention on the spot, it's because your peripheral vision is better at night vision.

I did a little research years ago when I built my own ultra-light headlamp, there are a couple of good articles explaining things on Wikipedia: Scotopic Vision, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotopic_vision) Night Vision (Biological), (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision)Rod Cell. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_cell)

The lamp I built had 3 6000mcd Red (626nm) LED's in one row, and two 6000mcd Yellow LED's below. The yellow were for assistance in reading my map at night without completely washing out my vision. I still have the main circuit, but the headband and battery holders fell apart.

Later!

Josh

AdrianRose
27-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I use the petzl e-light. It's not particularly bright but it does it's job well.

It's also go the added benefit of a multifunction light source. It does low/high level white light, flashing white light, red light and flashing red light all at the flick of a switch.

Additionally it weighs bugger all and packs down into a neat little plastic container.

Ade.

Roadkillphil
27-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I use the petzl e-light. It's not particularly bright but it does it's job well.

It's also go the added benefit of a multifunction light source. It does low/high level white light, flashing white light, red light and flashing red light all at the flick of a switch.

Additionally it weighs bugger all and packs down into a neat little plastic container.

Ade.

Amazing bit of kit, I have 2! One that is on my belt at all times and the other in my buoyancy aid for when I take groups coasteering (for working in sea caves).

It is also waterproof to 1m and has an integrated whistle on the tensioner.

As you said Ade, not mega bright, but it is robust, light and does the job.

Cheers

Phil

skipper
27-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Some of these super bright LEDs should come with health advice as shining it in peoples eyes and burning out their retinas as a smack in the gob often offends ! ;)

My Alpkit has just died on me :mad2: I will be buying another one but Ive had it 6 years and its never missed a beat and taken some REAL stick in some really crap conditions

I've just checked the Alpkit gamma site and it appears they are out of stock, but coming back in stock in March this year I think...

dfxdave
27-02-2012, 05:50 PM
a petzl e-light is for me too

Wham666
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Yep. Don't go anywhere without my e-light. Handy little thing :)

Juanodaxis
04-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I have one that I been using for years, and to be honest it didn't cost me much, if I remember right it was £5. Is not even branded. However, I got a little torch that I like to have in my pocket or wherever and I made a little thing out of a bike's inner tube. Well, I put some pictures so you can see what I'm about, LOL.392939303931
It actually works pretty well.
I meant to say, I put it on like a head band, and when not in use, the band is rolled and packed away inside the same pouch where the torch go.

Amazed
19-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I use a Coleman Max torch. It's rated output is 270 lumens! Runs 3x AAA batteries. It's small and very stout design handheld not headlamp. It's like looking at the Sun at night! One note, the focus is not adjustable.http://colemanmax.com

Amazed
19-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I use a Coleman Max torch. It's rated output is 140 lumens! Runs 3x AAA batteries. It's small and very stout design handheld not headlamp. It's like looking at the Sun at night! One note, the focus is not adjushttp://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Ultra-Power-Aluminum-Flashlight/dp/B00339C2WO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_ttable.

KaiTheIronHound
29-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I run a Princeton Tec Byte. Was on sale for 3/10 of bugger all when i bought it at a stores closing sale. She runs 2 AAA batteries, 35 lumen max output, which isnt the brightest in the world i know, but its good enough for basically anything i do. Has 3 light modes, one of which is a red light. The thing i really like about it is it weighs 64 grams, so about 2.1 ounces... Basically it weighs bugger all, its bright enough to walk with, it has a long burn time, and spare batteries are light and small to carry. :)

jus_young
29-03-2012, 09:50 PM
now using a Petzl Tactikka Plus. Good battery life from 3 AAA batteries, 3 light levels and red filter.

Psycho
16-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi there!
I have two of the Spark ST6-500CW headlamps and I can really recommend it! It is a very bright, waterproof and easy to use LED-Headlamp.
I always carry it by going geocaching (Nightcaches) and it has never disappointed me.

Here is a short video-review of the two versions of this lamp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4D1-W94Qm0

The only thing that might be a disadvantage, is that you have to use one 18650 or two CR123 Batteries instaed of normal AA Batteries.
But that is because of the really high output of the LED.

JonnyP
16-08-2012, 09:01 PM
I use a glow worm wedged in a polo mint and tied around my head. Its bloody useless to see by and I keep getting pestered by other glow worms.. Not recommended

jus_young
16-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I use a glow worm wedged in a polo mint and tied around my head. Its bloody useless to see by and I keep getting pestered by other glow worms.. Not recommended

But at least you have something to snack on if you get a little hungry as the night goes on...

JonnyP
17-08-2012, 07:33 AM
But at least you have something to snack on if you get a little hungry as the night goes on...

Yep.. Real warming food they are. Makes you glow inside ;0)

Back on thread though, I use a petzl myo xp. Its a good and bright head torch with plenty of settings, but the buttons can be fiddly

Peaks
17-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Alkit Gamma = great value, amazing for the cost, good battery life, lots of options for use.

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=250

blindgeekuk
17-08-2012, 09:19 AM
I've had 3 petzl's over the last 20 years (cubs/scouts, venture scouts, festivaling) and none of them have lasted - the cables to the bulb have gone, or the battery casings gone, so I gave up and went cheap http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-5-led-3fn-micro-equipment-headlight-p143635 though my son lost my red filter while caravaning this last weekend... Like others, i've been looking at the Alpkit Gamma, cheap, with lots of functions.

Silverback
17-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm happy to sing the gammas praises. Took 5 years to kill mine in some seriously bad weather conditions. So good I bought another!!