PDA

View Full Version : Tarpaflex Tarps

shakya
28-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi all,

Just come across these tarps, seem good for the price and some nice sizes, what do you think ?

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/army-camouflage-tarpaulins.htm

Thanks in advance

John

Silverback
28-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi all,

Just come across these tarps, seem good for the price and some nice sizes, what do you think ?

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/army-camouflage-tarpaulins.htm

Thanks in advance

John

Yup got one, use it as a windbreak mainly or over a communal area. The organisation Im part of as my other 'hobby' also has used them in the past to provide overhead protection and 'camouflage' for our volunteers

shakya
28-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks i will give this a try, i was thinking that i could always give it some extra waterproofing to be on the safe side, how has yours stood up to the elements?

Silverback
28-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks i will give this a try, i was thinking that i could always give it some extra waterproofing to be on the safe side, how has yours stood up to the elements?

It does ok, but it must be said I wouldnt want to sleep under mine pegged out over a ridgeline in windy weather ;) As i said before I use it as communal cover, windshield or ground sheet. I think theres a picture in my album of one pitched next to a British Army Basha.

The group use them in all weathers upto 1000m ASL but that is in conjunction with a bivvi bag. I'd say its a useful spare tarp or a fair weather one. Ideal for someone starting out on a budget to see if they like our style of camping

shakya
28-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks Sapper... Haven't done this style of camping for so for many years, i think it is a good option for summer at this price i can afford to experiment, i intend on buying a good gortex bivi as i like sleeping out doors whenever possible. I may buy a smaller Tarpflex and look around for a better quality tarp for cover, any suggestions ? I am a cyclist therefore can take a little extra weight if needed.

Many thanks for your council, John

Silverback
28-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks Sapper... Haven't done this style of camping for so for many years, i think it is a good option for summer at this price i can afford to experiment, i intend on buying a good gortex bivi as i like sleeping out doors whenever possible. I may buy a smaller Tarpflex and look around for a better quality tarp for cover, any suggestions ? I am a cyclist therefore can take a little extra weight if needed.

Many thanks for your council, John

I rolled my tarp up and strapped it under my top tube....DD Tarps are a firm favourite although I have a Tenth Wonder cornelius 3 x 3 tarp, packs up nice and small. The ex mil stuff is ok but heavy

shakya
28-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks mate will check it out, yeah the cross bar is really useful for all sorts of stuff, thanks again

dave budd
28-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I use loads of tarps from Tarpaflex around the woods and they are great. I've got the camo tarps spread over my bender sheds to help them blend in to the background a bit. The green ones are always handy for just covering things (so I've got quite a few!) and the clear ones have been used for a temporary roof where I needed some light. All good and they are cheaper than most other tarp suppliers, but that's often because Tarpaflex supply the shops ;)

They are, however, tarps of the garden variety not the bushcraft sort. So as long as you don't treat it like a posh tarp that can take tension at the corners and lots of abrasion on the ridge, then you'll be fine :)

shakya
29-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks Dave, advice noted, i am going to buy a DD Tarp for main shelter cover, also came across some, what look like very handy poles, i'm seriously thinking of spending money on these... Unger Opti-Loc 3 Section, http://www.f-w-c.co.uk/acatalog/Unger.html. Also the CZECH ARMY BED ROLL... is looking good for a tenner. already comes with stamp of approval from members. Any opinions an these items as usual will be most welcome.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk//czech-army-bed-roll/prod_1772.html?review=read#read_review

John

Dan XF
29-02-2012, 06:30 AM
If you're thinking of getting a bivi bag try either the Rab Storm Bivi or the Alpkit hunka from their own website. I have the Hunka XL and it's feather weight and half the weight of myold goretex bag and costmea third of the price. I have yet to use it though although the various mags and forums rate it as excellent. Don't get sucked in by that goretexlabel, you pay for the privelage of 40yr old technology.

shakya
29-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks Dan will check it out, advice most welcome. John

shakya
29-02-2012, 08:14 AM
yes i have bought the Hunka, it is more money, but very nice kit... need a bag, any ideas, thanks mate :)

shakya
29-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Yes i think you are correct Dan, anyway i have treated myself to the Hunka XL, it is a lot of money as i am kitting out from scratch but i do like the reviews i just need a relatively inexpensive sleeping bag to put inside, and a mat ah! such luxury :)

Silverback
29-02-2012, 10:16 AM
don't get sucked in by that goretexlabel, you pay for the privelage of 40yr old technology.

agreed !

Dan XF
29-02-2012, 03:35 PM
try the buy sell gift part of this forum. someone had an Alpkit sleeping bag for sale used once. If I had the money I'd have torn their arm off. Personally though although I love my down bag I think for nights out in the wet and wild a good synthetic bag is worth their extra weight. I have an old buffalo system bag that I used on exercise for 5 years and have used in civvy street for the last 20. It's heavy but will keep you warm when it's wet and will dry you off if you're wet. It is bulky but for those times when you're miles from civilisation and have no idea when you will be back in a bed then it would be my choice. Have a look on Ebay or see if there are any second hand ones going, you can boil wash it when you get it just to make sure it's really clean. They are still made but you'd have to look hard to find a retailer. I think militarykit.com do the snugpak copies that are just as good. If you want to be self reliant but still comfortable then go synthetic. On that note Adrian and I will bore you with tales of Buffalo clothing. their mountain shirt and special 6 shirt are designed as a single layer that will keep you warm when it's cold, allow you to vent off excess heat when you're working hard and will stay warm even when soaking wet. They are the closest thing to an innuit seal skin top that you can buy and really do the business when you're out all day or for a few days. They seem expensive but they are designed to be worn next to the skin as a stand alone garment. A base layer, a fleece and a wind proof/waterproof set would probably cost you more and not work as well IMHO.

Dan XF
29-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Try Cotswold or millets for cheap mats. They do them for peanuts or you could go back on the Alpkit site for their mats. I don't have one but they look good for the price.

shakya
29-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Dan... ended up buying an Army Ranger Super 2-3 Season Mummy Sleeping Bag, it was 30 UKP, so not too pricey and it should do the job throughout the summer month, come November i will be back over here somewhere, i hope :)

Dan XF
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a bargain. To answer the question on charcoal in the Honey Stove, it burns it just fine. Last summer my family went on holiday for 2 weeks but I ended up at home. On the nights I was free I made spiced salmon kebabs which I cooked over the honey stove. I put some cotton wool in the bottom with 2 or 3 fir cones on top and a few charcoal bricks over the top of those until they filled the stove. the fir cones burnt well enough to light the charcoal and while I put the cubes of fish on the skewers the stove was getting up to temperature. Worked perfectly. I even had enough heat left on some of the nights to do banana with brown sugar and maple syrup in foil while I ate the main.

jus_young
01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that Dan, more possibilities with this great stove :)

biker-bri
22-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi shakya, It would be cheeper to buy an old tripod off ebay and use the extending legs as basha poles - just a thought cheers bri