PDA

View Full Version : Treefrog's quarterly report

treefrog
29-02-2012, 01:58 AM
More video mayhem for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW2jBwzxMyA&feature=player_detailpage

I'll post part 2 when I free up some time...just more of me and my random commentary!

CanadianMike
29-02-2012, 02:13 AM
That's awesome Jack, thanks so much for the quick review, is all I wanted from you, real world use and commentary of it! Any suggestions to make a knife more flexible for skinning more types of animals? I've zero experience past fish, so I have no idea what works best for shape and bevel.

treefrog
29-02-2012, 02:30 AM
That's awesome Jack, thanks so much for the quick review, is all I wanted from you, real world use and commentary of it! Any suggestions to make a knife more flexible for skinning more types of animals? I've zero experience past fish, so I have no idea what works best for shape and bevel.

The truth of it is, Mike, that most trappers would have several knives in their arsenal simply because there's no one knife that can do it all.
What's most important to me is one that can do beaver well; almost all other animals are case skinned but a beaver is done in the open-skinned
technique which is more time consuming and difficult. The case skinning can be done with basically ant pointy knife--even a steak knife I suppose,
but the open skinning (beaver & bear) involves much more knife work and needs a curved blade that can be used in long rolling strokes with just enough
of a point but not too much.

Take a look at the Fur Harvesters web site...I think there's the catalogue there...they sell every shape of a knife imaginable, most of which I
wouldn't be bothered with, but you'll get an idea of what's used for skinning.

Jack

CanadianMike
29-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I guess there is much more to skinning properly in order to get the best out of the pelt than I realized, I haven't even a clue what open-skinned and case-skinning is! Lol, obviously the only type of skinning I know of is to access the meat (of course, I've only ever cleaned fish, nothing else).

Am happy the knife works great for that, I had made one skinning knife the year before and had an idea what a good belly for skinning would be, is part of the reason I went with the Shaman shape I did, and transfered it over to the Scout design (it is afterall, the Shaman Scout, meant it to a flexible and useful design with full sized features and strength but in a smaller pacakge).

Tony1948
29-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Enjoyed the vidio Jack,looks the sort of place that wouldav sooted me 2or3 decades back,be shor to post the next one.Atb.........TONY.........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS:happy-clapping:

treefrog
01-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I guess there is much more to skinning properly in order to get the best out of the pelt than I realized, I haven't even a clue what open-skinned and case-skinning is!

A bear rug is an example of open skinning--slit up the belly and stretched out flat. Case skinned is like pulling off a sweater inside-out.
There are prescribed ways to skin each species and the fur auction will not accept your furs unless they are prepared correctly.

CanadianMike
01-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Ah, ok, that explains a lot now!

treefrog
01-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Here's part 2 such as it is...it's listed as 6 minutes long, but the last half is dead air. Maybe I should read the video making tutorial more carefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcDw0HvExE&feature=player_detailpage

CanadianMike
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Lol, Jack, honestly, you are one of the most laid back coolest people I've met in a long time (know quite a few), but kudos to you and your laid back honesty. That match container is pretty inventive actually, am sure not many out there would have thought about using ABS drainage pipe components to make something like that.

And here's my contribution to your contribution (the latter part of the video).......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbSMplJ6g4

treefrog
02-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks Mike, now I've taken the Ray Mears Match Lighting Course.

He does it a little different than us Canadians though, eh?
We do the strike-and-throw method onto a half gallon of gasoline, then wait for the 'Whump'....:campfire:

CanadianMike
02-03-2012, 01:10 AM
This is true when there is gas around. Nature's offering, pinecones!!! ;)

Martin
02-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Nice video Jack. I really like the idea of the ABS dry tube. That is sure to be of interest to the canoeists amongst us too. Looking forward to seeing the next instalment of the 'Laidback Bushcrafter'. Eh? ;)

Martin

jus_young
02-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Jack. Got a few plumbing bits lying around so thats on the list of 'to do's ' aswell.

rossbird
02-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Here's part 2 such as it is...it's listed as 6 minutes long, but the last half is dead air. Maybe I should read the video making tutorial more carefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcDw0HvExE&feature=player_detailpage

Don't read the tutorial Jack.
Your vids would lose there originality, that would be a shame.

treefrog
03-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I'll be sure to do another video when canoe season arrives.

Jack