PDA

View Full Version : 11 Uses for Wood Ash

Ashley Cawley
04-03-2012, 03:31 PM
List thanks to http://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/least-10-uses-wood-ash

1 - Dust Baths - place cold ashes where your birds can get to them, the dust baths will control bugs

2 - Ring Around the Rosie - spread a low ring around individual plants are gardens to deter slugs/snails

3 - Mix into your Compost - in the north, this is the perfect thing!

4 - Lawn Fertilizer - Wood ash contains 10-25% calcium, 1-4% magnesium, 5-15% potassium and 1-3% phosphorus.

5 - Cleaning Agent - mix with water to form a paste and use on the glass in your wood stove or fireplace. Ditto for rings left on wood furniture from glasses. It's abrasive, so use with care. Ditto for polishing silver

6 - Great Fertlizer for Tomatoes and other nightshade veggies

7 - Sprinkle on Slippery Walks - it takes very little!

8 - GREAT Ice Melt! It's alkaline nature makes ice melt, and then if the sun is out, the darkness of the ash creates heat, melting ice more and faster than regular ice melt.

9 - Algae Deterrent. VERY little needed. 1 Tbs per 1000 gallons of water as needed.

10 - Odor Control - Put in t-shirt material to insert in stored shoes. Also dust on pets that have been skunked - after having shampooed them with Nature's Miracle

11 - Make Lye - takes some work and old timers only use hickory ash, but it can be done

Do you know of any more to add to the list?

CanadianMike
04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Awesome list!

Haven't tried, but seen it done on youtube, pour ashes onto your pots, pans, plates when there is grease present that needs to be washed out, mix well and rinse. Ash contains lye, and when mixed with fat, makes an old basic soap.

Martin
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Awesome list!

Haven't tried, but seen it done on youtube, pour ashes onto your pots, pans, plates when there is grease present that needs to be washed out, mix well and rinse. Ash contains lye, and when mixed with fat, makes an old basic soap.

I tried it and it was rubbish. My pan became full of greasy ash instead of just grease!! Not recommended.

Martin

luresalive
04-03-2012, 07:41 PM
You can make lye from ash, but you have to disolve the lye in water first or it doesn't work,I did a tutorial on my blog about making a lye solution to prep amadou,as Martin says,if the lye isn't separated from the ash first you won't get the right reaction.

Fletching
04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I use it to wash pans - you've just got to wipe out the excess grease first with a leaf, then add ash and use a leaf to spread the ash around then swill with water. It does work (well, it does for me!). :)

Also, ash was used to clean teeth before toothpaste was invented.

Steve

Marvell
05-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Nice thread

Have any of you actually made soap starting with ash? I'd be interested in hearing about field based success.

I find that if that get the worst of my fat out of a pan, then boil a spot of water in it with a punch of ash, I get great success as a cleaning agent. It's also good for polishing.

Wood ash can not only be used as a de-icer, but an anti-icer.

Diluted ash also acts as a decent stomach settler, whilst charcoal can be used to soak up toxins.

I know someone that puts it under their cat litter to get rid of some of the odour.

Believe it or not, ash, charcoal, water and foil can be used to make a small battery. How cool is that?!
Fire is your friend

Ben Casey
05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I use it to wash pans - you've just got to wipe out the excess grease first with a leaf, then add ash and use a leaf to spread the ash around then swill with water. It does work (well, it does for me!). :)
Also, ash was used to clean teeth before toothpaste was invented.
Steve

I thought it was soot :)

Fletching
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I thought it was soot :)

No, it was Sweep. :)

Bushwhacker
05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
If you're floor dwelling a ring of ash around your sleeping area will go some way towards not waking up with a slug in your ear.

Ben Casey
05-03-2012, 12:27 PM
No, it was Sweep. :)

You had to LOL You could use it for cam to :D

Ivan
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I have a thunder box , a plywood box with a toiletseat and lid on it over a hole for number 2's , when you have done your business , a bucket full of fire ash , just coal shovel a bit on top of your deposit , calms the smell and nobody has to look at what you have left previously !!

Bambii
05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
If your setting up snares you can use ash to mask your scent a bit more. Beats rubbing rabbit sh*t on your hands!

CanadianMike
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I recall someone said you can use ash as a dry shampoo for your hair..........

Ashley Cawley
08-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow some wicked recommendations on uses guys, thanks all!

Marvell
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
If your setting up snares you can use ash to mask your scent a bit more. Beats rubbing rabbit sh*t on your hands!

Or you can wear gloves :)

eqmiami
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
You can also bomb your friend's face/head with it for some Bush Antiquing, when such luxuries as flour are unavailable!

Bambii
08-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Or you can wear gloves :)

Shh, Don't tell people the true secret ^_^

FishyFolk
28-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I spread it on the lawn in spring to make the snow melt faster, as thats where all the snow from the driveway end up when shoveling. When the snow is gone, it's nice fertilizer, so a win win :-)