PDA

View Full Version : DD Tarps

shakya
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I have decided on a DD tarp, I still can't decide on what size DD tarp to buy, i can see advantages in both the 3x3 and the xl... sigh decisions, i can take a little extra weight on my bike, but would it be useful to take the larger tarp? I will have a bivi... but the xl could fold as a a part ground sheet, were stealth or limited space is available, but on the other hand it is bigger to handle. I really can't make up my mind... any advice appreciated. I won't be buying a tent.

Thanks in advance, Shakya

Ben Casey
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I have the big one and dont find it much different from the other to be honest apart from I have more space. I can get it in my side pouch of my rucksack with my Hammock no problem with the cordage and everything else I use for shelter. I read that your on a bike so I'm not sure what you would be using or how your packing system works but I'm sure it could be rolled up a bit like how a tent folds :D
I hope I have been some help

Ben

shakya
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks Ben, yes that helps a little, the bike is useful but it just means one can carry a little bit more around useful for extra water and provisions etc. I have to say i am leaning towards the xl, the idea of putting my very expensive bike undercover appeals

Shakya

Ben Casey
08-03-2012, 08:55 AM
The only problem I get really is trees and the distance apart but I love my tarp it is great :D

jus_young
08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I can only comment on the 3x3 as I have no experience of the XL but I have used mine over the Banshee 200 as a little extra protection (I was getting damp feet). The 3x3 completely covered the tent with a drop on the rear to ground level with the rest of the tarp forming a covered porch area that was ideal for cooking under. Having used it this way I don't see a need for a larger tarp when used with a tent or bivi.

Just an observation, I have seen on a number of your posts that you mention you are using a bike and that a little extra weight would not be a problem. Without trying to come across in the wrong way, how many times have you added a little weight as it can add up to be a huge weight :D

sandbag47
08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
With the big tarp you can always 'change the size' by using different loops on the top of it

shakya
08-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks jus_young... point taken, i will do all i can to keep weight down, Shakya

shakya
08-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes Sandbag, i can see a lot of potential in the xl, thanks for input, shakya

sandbag47
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
That what I'm here for :welcome:

Marvell
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd only use an XL in the cold/wind if I was on the ground 3z3 normally covers the hammock swingers.

shakya
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks Steve... that seals it, definitely going for the XL, many thanks, shakya