PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite EDC-folder

Primerib
18-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone,
concentrating on Bushcraft most of us concentrate their Diskussion on fixed blades like the always popular Moras, Puukos and diverse masterly crafted customs. But speaking for myself I usually do not get out into the bush as often as I would like to. But in the spirit of scouting "Be prepared" I cannot leave the house without some sort of blade. Restricted by federal laws the blades which are allowed to be carried in the public (in Germany only fixed blades up to 12cm and folding blades which cannot be opened and locked with one hand (e.g. liner locks or backlocks with a thumb stud or the spyder hole) the knife type usually goes towards the slipjoint. One of the first knives which will readily come to mind are MacGyvers favorite SAK from Victorinox and Wenger. I like these as they are always well made. But in times of peaking mainstream I'm interested in alternatives. I have a bunch of small "sheeple" friendly edc's. Mostly German Solingen products like a couple of old Robert Klaas (Kissing Cranes) which I was able to pick up in mint condition or small slipjoints from Löwenmesser.

To spark the diskussion I would like to present a knife which is from it's design quite old! It's the Mercator knife today made by the company Otter in Solingen! It's design actually goes back to the 19th century and was meant to have been very popular in the Army during WWI. But the design has not gone out of date and even today this knife is still very popular for the knifeenthusiast community not only in Germany.

I own the knife in the carbonsteel version which can be easily sharpend to a razorsharp edge. I have found it to be very sheeple-friendly and one of the best features i like is that it is astonishingly flat and will slip into most already tightly packed bags or pockets with ease. I have a small group of friends who meet up regularly to go hiking and I got this knife for every one. And so far everyone enjoys this knife a lot. Either to whittle at the fire, prepare the odd sandwich or slice up sausage or apple. As already mentioned I have a bunch of suitable everyday edc folders but this one finds it's way into my pocket more often than others.

Do you have a folding edc that you cherish - perhaps something out of the ordinary? Something typical from your whereabouts?

Fletching
18-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Svord Peasant Knife (http://www.heinnie.com/Svord-Peasant-Knife-Wood/p-0-0-4444/) or Opinel 8 Carbone (http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/opinel-no-8-carbon-steel-blade.htm) for me.

Steve :)

JEEP
18-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Victorinox Huntsman and Leatherman Knifeless Fuse

Dan XF
18-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Opinel 7 in carbon steel. The little Buck hunter in the pouch went into a drawer a few years ago as I couldn't afford to get a record for carrying an offensive weapon. Seen a paramedic get struck off for being arrested for a weapons charge. Oh now I've got to go and find my buck and polish the brass bolsters.

jbrown14
19-03-2012, 11:02 AM
I've got about 5-6 sitting on my dresser that I pick from when leaving the house every day. The one that makes it into my pocket most often is my Gerber LST Ultralight. Sorry, no link, firewall at work blocks knife websites...

Aaron Rushton
19-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Svord peasant. safe, good looking, and most importantly, SHARP! razor sharp, i shaved off my sideburns with one the other day! another plus is that there pretty easy to modify. opinels are not actually legal EDC as they have a lockable blade, which is a shame as ther are also great knives. there needs to be a friction-folder opinel.

bikebum1975
19-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Opi #7 and my old SAK though that doesn't get used so much anymore