PDA

View Full Version : So I have an old flysheet.....

GalaxyRider
19-03-2012, 05:49 PM
from a Vango Force Ten. It is in very good condition, so I feel I should recycle it.

I was thinking of making a hammock from it. Do you good people, with more experience than me in these things, think is a goer? I was hoping to make a double skin thing with room for a sleeping mat in the 'pocket'. Do I make a huge cocoon, or do I just go for the bog standard nylon beachy type thing.

Obviously, if anyone has any hammock patterns that are copyright free, they would be most appreciated. Even more appreciated would be one of you kind people to say, "I would love to do that for you, I am a skilled hammock maker", although I very much doubt that will happen :ashamed:

Thanks chaps.

Marvell
19-03-2012, 06:13 PM
How big is it?

Kernowek Scouser
19-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Sadly, I can offer no help. But as I also have spare, mostly undamaged flysheet (from a Banshee 200) I'd be interested to see how you get on.

Good Luck.

jus_young
19-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Which one? http://www.vango.co.uk/tents.html?catid1=1&catid2=2#catid1_1,catid2_2

There are a few different Force Tens, ideally you want one without seems running all over the place :D

If the nylon is in good shape then there is no reason why you could not make a hammock from it. I have recently been sewing up some parachute grade ripstop nylon to make some hammocks and tarps. The material doesn't look like its strong enough to hold a person but the stuff is a hell of a lot stronger than it looks. You only need a rectangular shape with the sides seemed for strength and wear resistance and then either sew the ends to form a tube (better word required here!) to thread your suspension through or bunch the ends together and tie around that. For dimensions look at the size of the branded ones as a guide, look up Shugemery on youtube or have a look at this site here http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html.

Mine are about 3m in length to give a nice diagonal lay using a structural ridge line and whoopie slings. The beauty of the homemade stuff is that you don't mind mucking about and altering it so much. Have a go, its good fun

GalaxyRider
20-03-2012, 08:57 PM
The flysheet is from a MK 4 CX. It is currently on the lounge floor, and when 'squared off' measures a very acceptable 60" width wise and 115" in length. So, rather luckily I think I have a huge potential hammock by simply cutting off the V shaped front and back ends, then sewing up the 3 sides! How easy is that? It seems I nearly have a Hennesy hammock dimensioned flysheet in my lounge.

I'll let you know how I get on!

jus_young
20-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Decided to go out in the woods today with mine. Was bliss just laying out and looking across the valley, nothing quite like it :)