PDA

View Full Version : Current hunting gear.

KaiTheIronHound
08-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, in Aus, hunting feral animals (Goats, deer, pigs, rabbits, hares, camels etc etc) is legal with a bow, so long as its suitably powerful and uses broadheads etc. So, this is my current hunting gear. I usually shoot traditional bows, but my shoulder is a bit ruined, so i need the letoff the compound bow provides. Draw weight is 75 pounds, the arrows are a random assortment. The broadheads used are 2 different sorts, there are 2 triblade ones branded "bodkin", the others are ribtek broadheads. Both are effective. I use a side quiver with this bow, allows me to keep a backpack on without interfering with me reaching for arrows.

CanadianMike
08-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Nice and simple. Recently I got back into archery (was out of it for just under 20 years), and went with a PSE fiberglass take down recurve (Kingfisher, sits at around 48lb draw weight), was cheap and I hadn't shot a recurve since I was 11. Besides, I wanted it for survival/bug out reasons, but also because shooting has always been fun.

KaiTheIronHound
08-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Take down bows are an excellent survival/bugout tool! As i said, i usually use more traditional bows, even having a crack at making one at the moment, as my father makes his own. Shoulder is an issue though, cant take the strain at the moment! So the compound is the only option.

Suba
08-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I just started using a catapult, and training my lab to retrieve.It's great fun.
Is it right that catapults are illegal in Oz?

CanadianMike
08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Take down bows are an excellent survival/bugout tool! As i said, i usually use more traditional bows, even having a crack at making one at the moment, as my father makes his own. Shoulder is an issue though, cant take the strain at the moment! So the compound is the only option.

Ya, I caught all that. During my teens I owned two compound bows, but fell too much into tech stuff (sights, stabilizer, eventually a release that ended my enjoyment of shooting, etc) and last fall when I got back into it I went simple, recurve with a dozen carbon arrows, no sights, bowfishing kit, etc. and am enjoying the natural aspect of shooting.

And, have been making some home made arrows from hand selected wooden dowels (including splitting turkey feathers and making self nocks), good to learn, will have to try to make a longbow someday. And, as posted above, I also have a couple slingshots I've been playing with, as well as trying to make them shoot arrows well (ala. Dave Canterbury's slingbow).

KaiTheIronHound
09-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Suba, it depends where in Aus you go, different states and territories have different rules. For example, in New South Wales, a slingshot is listed on the prohibited weapons act, but it specifically defines a slingshot as having a fork in it, which means at present stick shooters are still legal. In the ACT/canberra region, they are only illegal if they have a brace on them.

Suba
09-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Suba, it depends where in Aus you go, different states and territories have different rules. For example, in New South Wales, a slingshot is listed on the prohibited weapons act, but it specifically defines a slingshot as having a fork in it, which means at present stick shooters are still legal. In the ACT/canberra region, they are only illegal if they have a brace on them.

Thought so?
I suppose it's all in the wording of these type of things, hey!
Ever tried a cross bow?

Aaron Rushton
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Double post

Aaron Rushton
09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
i would love it if bowhunting was legal in the uk, but alas for now i have to stick to hunting tin cans and stumps. i use a fred bear kodiak magnum (original 1972 version :P) and i'm pulling kit at 44lb. shoot's great and looks great too. i may have to bring it over next time i go to aus, as i have family there, and see if i can get some critters.

KaiTheIronHound
10-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Sounds like a good plan mate!