PDA

View Full Version : Handy tip with Trangia type meth burners.

m0txr
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Maybe you all know this already, But a handy tip, If you add a half to full teaspoon of water to the burner after adding your fuel it reduces/stops the black sooting up of your pan. It coats if anything a yellowy colour which is easier to remove and does not blacken anything else in your pack, as its hydro carbons and not just carbon black. Mac :campfire:

paulthefish2009
11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Nice one, wonder how that works? Think i will try that out,my camp kettle is almost completly black. Any idea of the ratio of water to meths?Could you pre-dose your fuel bottle?presumably the water content boils off as the fuel burns. The only down side i can see is that the flame tempreture must go down ( some high performance engines use water injection to reduce/stop pre-ignition ) so things would take longer to boil/cook. Paul

luresalive
11-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice one, wonder how that works? Think i will try that out,my camp kettle is almost completly black. Any idea of the ratio of water to meths?Could you pre-dose your fuel bottle?presumably the water content boils off as the fuel burns. The only down side i can see is that the flame tempreture must go down ( some high performance engines use water injection to reduce/stop pre-ignition ) so things would take longer to boil/cook. Paul

thats exactly what happens

m0txr
11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Never pre dosed my fuel in a bottle. Just done a boil test with my trangia swedish mess kit. I filled top section of the mess kit (cup) to above 1st indentation on it,it just took 3:51 secs to rolling boil. I filled meth stove then dropped nto it one level teaspoon of water. like I said acheived rolling boil in under 4 mins, no soot either. Mac

PS put same amount into large billycan section of mess tins, it took around same time. Rolling boil at 3:47.

AdrianRose
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the tip buddy.
Dont forget to give me a shout when your free and we'll get together for a brew in the woods as your not too far away from me.

Ade