PDA

View Full Version : 'Pimping' my Czech army bed roll

Kernowek Scouser
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I took my bed roll to the RV and it was warm and comfy, but an absolute bugger to carry.

So I'm thinking, other than umming and ahhing over getting a new pack (which I will do at some point) for now I might just get a light (ish) two season rectangular bag, used in conjunction with the Czech bivvy outer and a silk bag liner I already have, for the warmer summer months. It would be lighter on the back and more compressible (and therefore more easily portable).

I have found the following bag and wondered if any of you good people had experience of/opinions on using one?

BRITISH ARMY SURPLUS - JUNGLE SLEEPING BAG
£15.00
http://www.guardsarmygear.com/images/!BlW+lyw!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CoEtsOQvTfHBLbZ0UyZiQ~~_35.jpg
http://www.guardsarmygear.com/british-army-surplus-jungle-sleeping-p-180.html

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Colin

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the site linked to.

ian c
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I have used the jungle sleeping bag many a time whilst on deployment and found it good during the chilly evenings out in the desert, hope this helps

Kernowek Scouser
12-04-2012, 11:02 AM
It does fella, thanks. It being able to cope with a chilly summers evening is very handy to know.

My main bug bear with sleeping bags is the fit of them around the shoulders (and the feet, but as this is not a mummy bag, squashed feet should not be an issue with this one).

So would you say the shoulder fit was:
a) Comfy,
b) Snug or
c) like being wrapped in elastic bands from the elbows up?

Cheers,

Colin

Bambii
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Oo, my bedroll came today!! It looks good, havent used it yet just climbed in it.

How warm is it? What kind of temps do you think you can use it to?

cuppa joe
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
just check the dimensions ...if you are a wide boy then this bag is not for you ...75cm across.

Martin
12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Oops, that's blown it then Edd. ;)

Martin

Kernowek Scouser
13-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm 55 inches around the chest and shoulders, too wide?

Tony1948
13-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Ha Ha to menny pyes:happy-clapping:

Kernowek Scouser
13-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Oo, my bedroll came today!! It looks good, havent used it yet just climbed in it.

How warm is it? What kind of temps do you think you can use it to?

It is pretty warm. I got mine at the tail end of Feb, had a go in the garden when it arrived, the temp was around two or three degrees and I was nice and toasty.

I brought the bed roll to the RV last weekend. It is a bit of a bugger to carry, it isn't that heavy, just awkwardly bulky. I have this pack

A Gelert Core 75 + 10 and the bed roll does fit in the main compartment, but nothing else will. It is too big to fit in the lid loops (correct term?) or the front draw cord. So I ended up wedging it between the lid and main body of the pack. By the time I'd walked from Truro to Trenowth woods I was wishing I'd just packed a sleeping bag as my pack felt like it weighed a ton. But once I was camped, had popped down the bar to put my beer coat on, visited a couple of camp fires then settled down for the night, I didn't regret the awkwardness one bit as I had a cracking nights kip, warm and comfy.

And I had another great nights kip on Saturday night, which apparently was, from conversations I had Sunday morning, considerably colder than Friday night.

I didn't notice as I was again warm and comfy.

If the bed roll was more compressible than it is, then it would be my preferred hiking/camping sleeping option. But as It is not, for me, it is only practical for short walk or car camping. Hence my search for a comfy and compressible inner bag, for the warmer months when I enjoy the majority of my adventures.

I hope this helps

Kernowek Scouser
13-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Ha Ha to menny pyes:happy-clapping:

Surely you mean pasties? And, you can never have too many pasties :D

Tony1948
13-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Oh ya you guys down there eat them pasties thing's I forgot, us good old boys up this part of the country like sumthing with a bit of meat in it:happy-clapping:

cuppa joe
13-04-2012, 10:20 AM
55 " = 139.7 cm you should fit but it will be snug....

Kernowek Scouser
13-04-2012, 11:02 AM
55 " = 139.7 cm you should fit but it will be snug....
hmm, snug fits are what I'm hoping to avoid, but it looks like I'm facing a choice between snug and portable versus comfy but awkward.

Decision, decisions.

Thanks for the info fella T^

cuppa joe
13-04-2012, 07:13 PM
i carry a snugpak merlin 3 http://www.militarykit.com/products/snugpak_sleeping_bags/snugpak_sleeping_bag_softie_3_merlin.htm and a kilosoft http://www.lutonarmysurplus.co.uk/images/camping/camping41L.jpg military bag ...1 kg each and fit inside each other if needed ,it also means i can leave one at home if not needed and they pack really small .
I paid less than £30 for both on fleabay posted.

cuppa joe
13-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Kernowek Scouser
13-04-2012, 11:28 PM
That is an intriguing set up you have there, which is well worth further investigation.

Thanks for the info and pictures T^