PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Gorse Flower Sorbet

Ashley Cawley
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IsOUrkFkLQ

Video thanks to nickyforsythe (http://www.youtube.com/user/nickyforsythe)

TreeCamper
04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Went round Dartmoor last week nibbling on Gorse flowers to see what they taste like. I believe it was mentioned that they taste a bit like coconut.

So picked some fresh flowers and a couple of us tried them and they tasted like fresh peas. Maybe the flower has to be open for a couple of days to develop the flavour.

Will try again soon as I hope to have a go at making that sorbet.

HedgeComber
24-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Mmmm, that looks delicious Ash. Although just watching the film took all the enamel off my teeth :)

JonnyP
24-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Went round Dartmoor last week nibbling on Gorse flowers to see what they taste like. I believe it was mentioned that they taste a bit like coconut.

So picked some fresh flowers and a couple of us tried them and they tasted like fresh peas. Maybe the flower has to be open for a couple of days to develop the flavour.

Will try again soon as I hope to have a go at making that sorbet.

The smell is like coconut, but the taste isn't. Fresh peas is a good desciption. The smell is better when the sun has been on them for a bit too.
Looking outside at the mo, I reckon the flowers are hiding..

TreeCamper
24-08-2012, 12:07 PM
The smell is like coconut, but the taste isn't. Fresh peas is a good desciption. The smell is better when the sun has been on them for a bit too.
Looking outside at the mo, I reckon the flowers are hiding..

Thanks Jonny Looking outside at the moment its blowing a gale.
Had a walk down at Talland Bay the other day. Quite a few wild edibles on the coastal path. Checked out the trees on the coastal path but not much there for a hang. Plus the horses had been underneath them and it was a bit boggy. Still a beautiful place though.

Blackberries are coming out now so I might make some of that sorbet instead a couple of weeks and the field mushrooms should start too.

ATB Tony

HedgeComber
24-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi TreeCamper, we got a mini haul of plums down at Talland a couple of days ago. Very small this year and not much flavour tbh, I guess that'll be the weather. Whereabouts are you based?

TreeCamper
24-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Hiking distance to Talland:) How about yourself?

HedgeComber
24-08-2012, 01:28 PM
More pottering distance, then hiking distance. Hello neighbour :)

TreeCamper
24-08-2012, 04:11 PM
More pottering distance, then hiking distance. Hello neighbour :)

We are both very lucky then:) and hello to you too neighbour.