PDA

View Full Version : Advice on panniers for cycle touring

GwersyllaCnau
15-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to put this.

I'm interested in getting into a bit of cycle camping/touring and have no idea about panniers. If there are any cycle campers/tourers out there, what panniers should I be looking at? Could you recommend any? can you fit panniers on the front with suspension forks?

jus_young
15-04-2012, 10:32 PM
I do not think you will be able to use front panniers on a bike with suspension as the frame for the pannier set usually bolts on to the axle and bike frame, the suspension will give unwanted movement but there could be a setup out there that I have not heard about.

I use a Topeak setup on mine. The rear frame is fixed very securely allowing for a top and side bag configuration where the bags can be unclipped when required. There are also attachments for lights as the usual saddle stem point will now be covered.

Dan XF
16-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't think youl'll get panniers to fit suspension forks. The ONLY panniers worth getting are the ortlieb ones. I have a set of the motorcycle ones they do and they are fantastic. Have a look at the evans cycles website for ideas then go on Ebay for a second hand set. Not cheap but you can pop them off the frame and use them as a rucsac. very popular with the folding bike brigade for commuting

Dan XF
16-04-2012, 08:25 AM
I think they were used by that nutter who cycled the world and then got bored so cycled highway one from Alaska to Southern Chile.

El
16-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I picked up a great cycle bag from Tesco last year.it clamps on to the handle bars and on to the handle bar stem, it is easily big enough to fit a Swedish army cooker in..and only cost about £8 I think.

Whistle
16-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Simply ... Yes it is possible but quite pricey ... See Old Man Ultimate Lowrider

hope linky thingy works ... http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/reviews/components-accessories/old-man-mountain-ultimate-lowrider

But why not try a Handlebar Harness or Sling ... You can make one yourself quite easily and cheaply or make it as sophisticated as you like ... See my take on a Handle Bar Harness here ...

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk/php/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=361

There is a link there that takes you to my Flicker account with more annotated photos ...

I can load a full bed roll comprising sleeping bag , bivi bag , self inflating sleep mat , ground sheet , two army style tarps (pop 'em together for a big double) pegs and guys ...
or a Large Exped Dry Bag with what ever you want in ,
usually sleep bag , Banshee200 , sleep mat and solo cook system ...

Hope that helps or inspires !!!

Cheers Whistle

shakya
19-04-2012, 06:41 AM
i have ortliebs very good

Martin
19-04-2012, 06:51 AM
i have ortliebs...

Sounds painful.:D

Martin

shakya
19-04-2012, 06:53 AM
ha ha :)

shakya
19-04-2012, 06:55 AM
going biking in west Scotland in June can wild camp without too much hassle there

Metal mug
19-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Panniers can be expensive; I got a set of rear panniers from Lidl last year and they are as tough as old boots. They only cost about £16 and I use them most days and they seem to be wearing well. :)

You might be able to get a set on ebay as I'm not sure how long it'll be till Lidl has its annual cycling sale.

GwersyllaCnau
19-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, found these in halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_72 9207_langId_-1_categoryId_236256

El
29-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Did you buy those halfords panniers Gwersyllacnau ?

GwersyllaCnau
29-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Not yet mate. Just bought a snugpak underquilt and dd tarp each for me and my son. All spent out on gear for a while.

Wham666
29-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I went touring round the Shetland islands last year with my hubby and the dog and we used bike trailers for the gear and supplies. Worked a treat and easy to balance out, the dog got kicked out on the hills which made it easier. ;)

El
29-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Im looking in to panniers myself, my son and I will be doing some weekend camps via cycles.

lol @ Wham666 poor dog lol

Trebz
29-09-2014, 09:27 PM
In my other life I do this:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=258143

:-)