PDA

View Full Version : The all-in-one tea bag

bigzee
16-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Having been for a walk this weekend with my wife (a rare event as she tends to yawn when moving horizontally in fresh air !!??), I came across a problem that's been bugging me for some time.

As we were passing through woods, I naturally took a brew kit and we stopped for refreshments amid the trees. Out came the oval flame stove and the canteen cup (enough room for two drinks), and as the water heated I asked the "purchasing Manager" whether she wanted instant hot chocolate or black tea. "Black tea?" she says - "didn't you bring any milk?" Bearing in mind the lady is half woman / half tea, this was clearly not an acceptable situation and she opted for instant hot choc. Carrying milk is possible if you have a suitably durable and small sealed container, but as you all know, it's not something you can keep "primed and ready" for any period of time - as with other elements of the brew kit.

I have in the past used a little bag / container with sugar, and also the same with intant milk powder, but apart from a lot of faffing about spooning out each bit, it tends to get messy - as milk powder likes being airborne, and sugar likes to hang about for ever and become an annoying stain on your kit.

Today it came to me whilst I was driving along - what if all three elements would fit in the tea bag? We use Ringtons tea bags, which are rectangular and roomy (to allow the leaves movement presumably). I cut the edge off one end of the bag, put in 1 1/2 tsp of skimmed milk powder, and 1 tsp sugar. The end of the bag was folded / rolled and sealed with one staple. By this stage the bag is plenty full, and there's not much room for the staple, but it's just do-able.

And by jove it's just drinkable!!

El
16-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Ever tried Liptons instant tea ? its in a jar granular ....when added to hot water it looks like tea with milk and tastes like tea (ish) lol

Martin
16-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Agree with El. If you really must have a cup of tea with milk and sugar, then instant tea is just about passable. I've drank a few cups of it from the ration packs and at the right time and place it hits the spot.

Martin

JonnyP
16-04-2012, 06:57 PM
1 1/2 tsp of skimmed milk powder

Crikey, you like it milky. Just the tip of the teaspoon for me, but then I like my tea strong..
Putting boiling water on powdered milk makes it go all nasty looking, but I guess inside the bag its ok..?

Instant tea is yuk, but nothing beats if if its all you got and you are cold and wet.

I keep a little brew kit with tiny pots of sugar, n powdered milk, bag of tea bags and a home made spoon, and I just make a brew as I do at home. I do have powdered milk in my tea at home anyway.

Marvell
16-04-2012, 07:22 PM
You disgust me. I'm going to have to turn my back on you now.

Bambii
16-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Not a bad idea, I might steal that...

comanighttrain
16-04-2012, 08:15 PM
as above...also used powdered milk...

all in all... nothing is better than the real thing though

bigzee
16-04-2012, 09:20 PM
as above...also used powdered milk...

all in all... nothing is better than the real thing though

Exactly! - this is about as near you'll get to "the real thing" but in a lazy-arsed way! Granules?...phhteach!!!

m0txr
16-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Take normal tea bags and a toothpaste like tube of nestles sweetened condensed milk, adds sugar and milk at same time, keeps for ages, and handy tube size for brew kit. Last time i got some it was from a major supermarket. I cant for life of me remember if it was Asda or Tesco. But stops sugar granules all over your kit and sour smelling spilt milk stains.lol. Added bonus is as its concentrated you dont need to put much in. Mac

Kernowek Scouser
16-04-2012, 10:21 PM
I like this all in one tea bag idea T^

My own concoction is 2tsp x Coffee + 1tsp Cocca + 2tsp Coffemate + 1tsp Sugar + Cooling Boiled Water = Brew :D

I put this mixture into several didy sealable bags before I set out, to avoid in field faffage.

happybonzo
16-04-2012, 10:34 PM
The packets that used to come in the rat packs can be OK. Menu A, B, C or D before they got onto the Halal, Kosher, Veggie, Vegan yadda yadda c**p.

Marvel seems to be about the best "instant" milk and Carnation in tubes food for the Gods

Martin
17-04-2012, 06:41 AM
I have found that Nido is the best, creamiest dried milk powder. It dissolves in cold or boiling water and, being full fat, is tasty enough to put on cereals, in coffee or tea or just to drink on its own. Available in supermarkets in the ethnic section.

As far as ration packs goes. The new multi-climate packs are fantastic. With fresh fruit salad and much tastier meals than the old stuff. I was sorting a load of part opened boxes last night and found myself yearning for the MCR over the bog standard packs.

Martin

happybonzo
17-04-2012, 07:03 AM
I remember seeing a young crow refusing to eat some pack. The DS threw the meal(?) on the floor and the young Trooper was made to eat it... happy days? Times have changed now or have they :)

Thanks for the Nido tip, I'll try and find some to try on the Memsahib first

Marvell
17-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Strong black coffee, simples.

Dan XF
17-04-2012, 10:13 AM
For me and my daughter it has to be Chai tea bags and a tube of condensed milk. You can find condensed milk in the baking aisle of most super markets. I normally drink normal tea and coffee without sugar (Julie Andrews) but outdoors I like sweet drinks. A great breakfast is 1/3 mug of oats, 2 packs instant hot chocolate, fill to brim with boiling water. Thats a 1 pint stanley plastic mug though. Breakfast of champions.

Suba
17-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Faffage.
Yeah, that concoction scares the faffage off, good and proper! :D

Kernowek Scouser
17-04-2012, 11:55 AM
and it puts hairs on the Faffage's chest as it runs away.

Cracking brew :D

I've seen this squeezable carnation tubes, but as it said they should be refrigerated once opened, I gave them a miss.

From what folks are saying, I am assuming the need to refrigerate is more of a suggestion, than a necessity?

bigzee
17-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Strong black coffee, simples.

Apparently the best instant milk carries your name (ish). Surprised you're not using that!

It has to be said that the stuff I bought at the nearest supermarket when the idea hit, is skimmed milk powder. As we all know - skimmed milk is basically white water (like in the jam jar containing a paintbrush overnight) and probably has as much flavour! I have used condensed milk, but not sure it would last long once used, without refrigeration (or dangling in a stream on a bit of paracord?)