PDA

View Full Version : What is a Norgie / Norgy

Kernowek Scouser
24-04-2012, 06:40 PM
I keep seeing these tops on surplus sites. They are called either Norwegian Shirts, British Army Norwegian Shirts, British Army Cold Weather Norwegian Shirts, Norgie or Norgy.

The product description, where there are any, are not very helpful (and are occasionally contradictory).

On some sites they look quite chunky like a fleece

on others, the look more slim line like a base layer

I am confused and I'm seeking enlightenment.

Silverback
24-04-2012, 06:45 PM
The British Army Norgie is a cotton garment with a towelling like reverse side cracking for cold dry weather. They have evolved over time getting a little thinner till the newer issued ones available now. I have an old thick one...great bit of kit. The two pics you posted actually look like ones new and the other surplus maybe thats why there is the confusion.

Beware of cheap imitations too !!!

Not to be confused with the Norgie, which is an insulated food container ;)

Ben Casey
24-04-2012, 06:50 PM
T^ Spot on I love mine :)

Silverback
24-04-2012, 06:53 PM
T^ Spot on I love mine :)

Exercise losses ? :happy-clapping:

Kernowek Scouser
24-04-2012, 07:20 PM
The British Army Norgie is a cotton garment with a towelling like reverse side cracking for cold dry weather. They have evolved over time getting a little thinner till the newer issued ones available now. I have an old thick one...great bit of kit. The two pics you posted actually look like ones new and the other surplus maybe thats why there is the confusion.

Beware of cheap imitations too !!!

Not to be confused with the Norgie, which is an insulated food container ;)

I have noticed there is quite a variation in prices.

So, and please forgive my ignorance, it is like a fleece then?

Silverback
24-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I have noticed there is quite a variation in prices.

So, and please forgive my ignorance, it is like a fleece then?

If you mean is it a mid layer of a layering system then yes but its made from 100% Cotton. It can be worn next to skin, as a layer between base and outer (combat smock)and we used to put 'woolly pullys' over the top too. Very versatile bit of kit...orrible when wet though

JonnyP
24-04-2012, 07:46 PM
I have got through loads of norgies, from the cheap copies to the proper Norwegian ones. I love them for work, cos bending over does not mean a cold lower back..
This is a good version imo, if you have some pennies to spend.. http://www.penrithsurvival.com/buy/norgee-shirt-tuna-tekstil_61.htm
or get them from Endicots..

FishyFolk
24-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Those where originally made for the Norwegian army, and they are brilliant. The UK Royal Marines train a lot in Norway in the winter time, and I think they have picked up a lot of kit from us over the years, this being one of them. Anyway, most Norwegian army cloting is absolutely brilliant, and high quality. So if you get your hands on some, count yourself blessed.

Anyway we use it as the mid layer, that is on top of your under shirt, but under your wool pullover...

Norgie, Norgy is probably derived from the Norwegian word for our country....Norge. In the Norwegian army we simply call it a "Feltsjorte" = field shirt.

Kernowek Scouser
24-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Cheers Fellas,

I think I might have to include one in my next surplus shopping spree :D

GwersyllaCnau
24-04-2012, 11:22 PM
The Norgie is brilliant, I got a couple and use them alot.

And yes Sapper4083, before you ask, they are exercise losses ;)

happybonzo
25-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Anyway, most Norwegian army cloting is absolutely brilliant, and high quality. So if you get your hands on some, count yourself blessed.

Norgie, Norgy is probably derived from the Norwegian word for our country....Norge. In the Norwegian army we simply call it a "Feltsjorte" = field shirt.

Do you have Army surplus dealers in Norway who sell by mail order like we do in the UK?

- and, yes, the Norwegian kit is of terrific quality. I had a Bergans (http://www.bergans.com/) pack for many years. It was an excellent pack until my son borrowed it. Some one else thought that it was good as well :(

FishyFolk
25-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Do you have Army surplus dealers in Norway who sell by mail order like we do in the UK?

- and, yes, the Norwegian kit is of terrific quality. I had a Bergans (http://www.bergans.com/) pack for many years. It was an excellent pack until my son borrowed it. Some one else thought that it was good as well :(

Yes we have a few:

https://www.forsvarsbrukt.no/default.aspx

m0txr
25-04-2012, 08:18 AM
As a kid my dad bought all our clothes from army surplus stores, including my school uniform, I was the best dressed japanese rear admiral in my school class. Hehehe

Dan XF
25-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I used to wear mine on exercise and loved it til I took it as a just in case item and only had a cotton t shirt to wear underneath. 2 layers of wet cotton left me with a horrible night in my maggot. Soon afterward I got my buffalo mountain shirt and used that instead. one good thing about the pure cotton material is the fire resistance. It was one of the few items we were allowed to wear under a flying suit.

paulthefish2009
25-04-2012, 12:33 PM
As a kid my dad bought all our clothes from army surplus stores, including my school uniform, I was the best dressed japanese rear admiral in my school class. Hehehe
HA HA thats great,as I started to read that I began to thought "how sad". Paul

FishyFolk
25-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I used to wear mine on exercise and loved it til I took it as a just in case item and only had a cotton t shirt to wear underneath. 2 layers of wet cotton left me with a horrible night in my maggot. Soon afterward I got my buffalo mountain shirt and used that instead. one good thing about the pure cotton material is the fire resistance. It was one of the few items we were allowed to wear under a flying suit.

Yeah, cotton is horrible when you get wet. Thats why we always had and I still have a dry shift to put on once camp is made. In the sleeping bag I more or less always strip down. It's warmer that way, as your body heat does not have to struggle it's way trough a bunch of insulating clothes to heat up your bag. Gets a bit worse to get out in the morning, but if you keep your clothes with you in the bag, they should be nice and toast to put ion too :-)