PDA

View Full Version : Survival Juice

Marvell
27-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Inspired by this comment in Hard as Nails ...

I think masonary nail is galvanized? If so use it and a penny, insert both in a citrus fruit or potato and make a voltaic cell.

I was thinking ... how many different ways can we generate electricity in the wild or from bits and bobs?

The above is one. Using soil as a medium is also popular.

Aluminium, Ash, Water and Charcoal is another

Other than wires, what could be used as a conductor? Pencils?

Any way of regulating it? How about storing it?

I've got some other ideas, but what do you reckon?

paulthefish2009
27-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Got to ask what would you want electric for in the wilds? Paul

Marvell
29-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Got to ask what would you want electric for in the wilds? Paul

In a genuine survival situation it might power a torch, mobile or radio, say.

CanadianMike
29-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Storing it, use aluminum foil and waxed paper to make a capacitor. Lay out two sheets of foil, waxed paper in between, and roll tightly around something cyndrical, when done attach a wire to each sheet of foil and put into a container.

Side note, no idea if this'd work, but is how electrolytic capacitors are made....... old ones anyways, newer ones (like newer than the 1970s) use a different type of dielect.

Dan XF
10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I used to work for Cotswolds back in the 90's. We used to put spoof products in the catalogue and staff were invited to invent them. I came up with the Tree Socket. It came as either a 2 pin or 3 pin version. The socket had a copper nail and a zinc nai lon the back and you had to hammer it in to any tree that had acidic sap. You could then power up a walkman or mobile phone or electric razor. The MD loved the idea but was worried about complaints from people driving to the shops to buy them not realising they were a spoof.

Tony1948
10-05-2012, 10:36 PM
You'll need electric in the wild to run you'r TV round the :campfire:and the tea's maid in the mornning thought you now that:happy-clapping: